Regulated Seoul P7 Mag1.5D *** beamshots added

Icarus

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Regulated Seoul P7 Mag1.5D

Freddy, are the DB1500 pushed pretty hard in this configuration? did you apply a heatsink to the DB's in anyway?
Thats an awesome build, looks good
best regards
Des
According to the specs of the DownBoy driver (provided by The Shoppe) max output current = ~ 1.5A.
Both drivers are heatsinked and completely potted. (sorry, but I forgot to make a picture of the driver module).

Icarus

Flashlight Enthusiast

Icaras, I got to know, how tight a fit was the P7 for the maglites reflector? I imagine it has great throw with the maglites reflector, but how does it perform. Do you plan on posting beamshots?
The P7 fits the stock reflector but it's really tight.
In case of a metal reflector I would enlarge the hole to avoid making a short when turning the head.
I'll try to take beamshots tonight.

mudman cj

Flashlight Enthusiast
Where corn and pigs are grown unimpeded by trees

Some time ago I experimented with aspherical lenses and old Luxeon V's, also 4 die ermitters, and the result wasn't nearly satisfying.
It was a projection of the single 4 dies and I guess with these SSC P7's or Ostar's it should be comparable.
These days the most adequate Led for a combination with an AL is a single die Cree.

Best regards

____
Tom

While that would certainly be the case with an AL with a focal point that corresponds to the die distance, I was specifically referring to the type of AL being used for hotwires in which the focal length is actually much greater than what 'should' work. The focal lengths used for LEDs were typically on the order of 35mm-40mm, which would give the type of beam you describe, whereas these guys are using lenses with focal lengths on the order of 300mm or more. It seems that part of the die would be focused while the edges would be blurred. This should eliminate the die pattern from the hotspot at the expense of some throw but with increased corona and spill. Then again, maybe these lenses will produce a horrible beam, but someone needs to try it to know for sure.

Long John

Flashlight Enthusiast
:thanks: for the nice beamshots Freddy :)

The brightness isn't bad but I prefer the Quad-Cree :whistle:

Very best regards

_______
Tom:wave:

Long John

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi Tom!

Sure the Quad Mag is brighter, but the SSC P7 is only one LED....:D

For me its very inpressive how bright one LED could be....

Hello Toby

One Led with 4 dies. Technical the same like 4 x single die Leds like the Quad-Cree but with the disadvantage of the 4 parallel wired dies (unlike to the seriell wired Cree's which is much better).
Not to forget the heat-managment due to the concentrated area.

Sorry Freddy, I don't want to hijack your thread:)

Best regards

____
Tom

easilyled

Flashaholic
There are a couple more reasons why the quad cree is brighter:-

1) The Q4 Cree I believe is slightly more efficient than a single die of the
SSC P7

2) More importantly Freddy has said that each of the 4 dies of the quad Cree
receives 1A. Whereas for the P7, each of the 4 dies receives 3 amps
divided by 4 (or 750ma)

Long John

Flashlight Enthusiast
There are a couple more reasons why the quad cree is brighter:-

1) The Q4 Cree I believe is slightly more efficient than a single die of the
SSC P7

2) More importantly Freddy has said that each of the 4 dies of the quad Cree
receives 1A. Whereas for the P7, each of the 4 dies receives 3 amps
divided by 4 (or 750ma)

Hello easilyled

to1: I'm not sure about (a view to the specs could help) but beside that efficiency has nothing to do with brightness (power output).

to2: Indeed, the manufacturer of the P7 rated the Led at a max. current of 2,8A (700mA per die) meanwhile a single die SSC P4 or Cree is rated max. at 1A.
The reason for is IMO my statement in post 33.

Sorry again Freddy :duck:

Best regards

____
Tom:wave:

Icarus

Flashlight Enthusiast

Good Job Freddy.

What do you think of the beam with the stock reflector? I was not happy with it personally even after a I sputtered it. Thats why I would up using medium stipple reflectors in the 2 I have built.

Mac
The beam has the expected and unavoidable donut. It is for sure not what you are looking for if you are a white wall hunter. However if you are after max throw a smooth reflector is best. As can be seen in the pictures the multi-cree has best beam but the P7 has better throw. :shrug:

Icarus

Flashlight Enthusiast

How is the overall heat generated? How long does it take for the head to get hot?

I'm thinking of doing a 9AA-3D mag with the same driver configuration as yours, but I don't want to burn out the drivers due to heat.
Heat isn't too bad. The drivers won't burn out if they are properly potted/heatsinked.

Icarus

Flashlight Enthusiast

Good job, nice thinking on the 2 DB1500 drivers! How big is the heatsink? I would love to have that with a C size heatsink. Has anyone tried a 2.5 throwmaster reflector with the P7? Do you think it will throw better?

AlexGT
I made the heatsink as big as possible but forgot to make a picture.
Although I didn't try it, the P7 will definitely throw better with the 2.5" throwmaster.

Latest posts