Remote Control Lanterns - Current Draw of Remote Circuit?

Phaserburn

Flashlight Enthusiast
There are a variety of remote controlled lanterns available from LLBean, Coleman, Egear, etc. How much current does the remote control circuit use when the lantern is not on (standby)? Anyone know? I realize the lantern can be turned completely off as well, using 0 power.

Gene

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wish I could help you with this Phaser but my Coleman remote control lantern went south the second time I used it. The remote turns it on but not off anymore.

I would imagine the only current it draws would be from the red LED which must be very minimal.

broadgage

Enlightened
Wish I could help you with this Phaser but my Coleman remote control lantern went south the second time I used it. The remote turns it on but not off anymore.

I would imagine the only current it draws would be from the red LED which must be very minimal.

Mine uses 0.3 ma in standby, it has no red led lit in standby though.
It uses 4 D cells and a 7 watt compact flourescent lamp, brand is "black spur" a cheapo UK tool and hardware supplier.

broadgage

Enlightened
Sorry not to have replied, had forgotten about this thread.
It is one third of a miliamp, not 300 miliamps.
300 miliamps would discharge the batteries in a day or two.

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
I am supposed to be getting a rayovac 9watt remote flouro lantern any day soon I will measure it and get back here with it. If it draws under a milliamp I may just leave the remote part on and put it a strategic place so I can use it anytime where there is no lightswitch near to flood an area.

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
Ok I finally got my remote lantern I got on ebay. Rayovac 4D with a 9watt Utube and remote. It uses 1.67ma current for the remote. that is about 40ma a day or 280ma a week. I would say leaving the remote on when it is dark would be fine using about 12mah or so but forget and leave it on and in about a year it could be dead off 4Ds... lol.

I retested the lantern on the 20ma scale instead of the 200ma and got 2 ma using 4D cells... I also ran the lantern off 6AA rayovac hybrids and it draws 4ma then so at that rate 100ma a day in about 3 weeks it would kill the AAs. I am thinking about running if off 2 sets of 5AAs in parallel so I could leave it with remote on for month at a time and have it on a shelf in my room so I can turn it on when I wake up to help me stay awake. :crackup:

Last edited: