Research: Help me understand your purchasing decisions!

If you haven't purchased an Alpha, what is the main reason(s) holding you back?

• The Alpha doesn't take primaries

Votes: 3 5.7%
  • I would buy a smaller size light

Votes: 14 26.4%
  • I want more power captain!

Votes: 6 11.3%
  • I want more throw

Votes: 6 11.3%
  • I'm not into the nickel plate

Votes: 7 13.2%
  • I'm not into the "styling"

Votes: 8 15.1%
  • It's not titanium

Votes: 17 32.1%
  • It's too expensive

Votes: 18 34.0%
  • Not enough brand reputation/track record

Votes: 3 5.7%
  • Don't worry Jason, I'm saving up for one!

Votes: 17 32.1%

• Total voters

archer6817j

Enlightened
Awesome lights, good price performance point IMO. On my short list for sure. Would love to see an aspherical or TIR? head option, then I would buy two.

I have a TIR for the XML that has a 20 degree spot. It's 7700 lux @ 1m vs the XML with boom reflector that is 4400 lux. It's quite a large hotspot compared to what you might be used to in a TIR but it still throws pretty well :) I actually think the large spot is a lot more useful for an everyday light.

Ginseng

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have a TIR for the XML that has a 20 degree spot. It's 7700 lux @ 1m vs the XML with boom reflector that is 4400 lux. It's quite a large hotspot compared to what you might be used to in a TIR but it still throws pretty well :) I actually think the large spot is a lot more useful for an everyday light.
I like the sound of that! I've been wanting an optic-based XML.

Wilkey

christyli

Newly Enlightened
hi, friend. I like flashlights, but I don't have a good knowledge of them. I know that many climbers like flashlights, each of them has a personal flashlight. They really look so cool. Maybe I will buy one later when I know much about it.

The_bad_Frag

Enlightened
...I always wanted to buy a light from you because they look AWESOME but here are my reasons why not:

1. No voltage monitor. Since I use my modded mag with voltage monitor I dont want to miss it in any flashlight.(except small lights like 1AAA where its not possible) Its so great to know when you will run out of power. I use my lights most times on full power but when I see that my batteries are going low I can turn it down and still manage to finish my work without the need to have a set of fresh Ni-MHs in my pocket.

2. No overheating protection. This is a total must-have in all high power flashlights. When I have it tailstand or laying around somewhere providing me light I dont want to check the temperature of it every few minutes.

3. No Ni-MH. I have a high end Ni-MH charger and a huge pile of Ni-MHs so I dont want to buy a 100€-130€ li-ion charger for only 1 flashlight. (I dont want any of these single or 2 bay chargers without an lcd or different charging modes)

Ginseng

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi Jason,
Since each person's answer is but an individual case, hopefully the survey totals will allow you to target specific action items to push the adoption rate up. I answered "saving up" but a bit more elaboration against the points might be of use.

1. The Alpha doesn't take primaries - Always nice to be able to use backup primaries...but not a deal breaker as I carry extra LiIon cells. Perhaps some kind of "limp home" mode? Let's face facts. To get the output customers demand with the LEDs available, no high performance, output-biased torch will run on a single string of primaries. Parallel strings? Sure...but then you're talking about bigguns like the SF M6 LED.
  2. I would buy a smaller size light - An 18500 option would be as small as I would be willing to entertain. But then I use my lights so much, running on IMR16340's would have me changing batteries every day and that would be undesirable. Every 2-3 days, perfect.
  3. I want more power captain! - Not in this form factor. On these specs, I believe you are in the sweet spot with respect to output, runtime, and heat management.
  4. I want more throw - Again, not in this form factor and not with the SST-50 or XML. I do not salivate or obsess over throw as many seem to. I understand the psychology behind it, but this aspect of performance needs to be weighted against all other relevant performance factors. My usage is 95% indoors and between 24" and 10'. A tight, ringy reflectored spot sucks with a capital suck. A smooth punchy beam is lovely. See the Oveready Tri-XPG and VanIsleDSM Quad-XPG for the premier exemplars of this beam profile. In short, the beam profile must serve the illumination needs not just for the overall output but, as importantly, the distribution of those lumens.
  5. I'm not into the nickel plate - It's a question of personal preference and taste. Functionally, nickel plating is a great finish. And I find it absolutely beautiful and my luxury finish of choice.
  6. I'm not into the "styling" - Your lights are clean, proportional, and adeptly blend performance and function. I will handle one, one day, but based on my experience, it will almost certainly be as much a pleasure in the hand as it is to the eye.
  7. It's not titanium - This seems to be the material de rigueur. Certainly it is strong. But it's not a great conductor of heat (far worse than brass even). I suppose it's the fashion, what else is there to say? I wouldn't carry an EDC made of titanium. What's the opportunity cost?
  8. It's too expensive - Your lights are not cheap but among the pantheon of custom lights they are a bargain. The thought and the work you've put into articulating and executing your design philosophy is, in and of itself, nearly worth the price of admission.
  9. Not enough brand reputation/track record - Arguably not a factor. Not at this stage in your company's life. And you certainly have garnered well-deserved kudos and a following.
  10. Don't worry Jason, I'm saving up for one! - Like I said. ;)

Wilkey

Brasso

Flashlight Enthusiast
I didn't respond to the poll but I can tell you what I'd like to see.

A single cell 1.4a version that uses a Nichia 83 or 119.

thanks.

archer6817j

Enlightened
I didn't respond to the poll but I can tell you what I'd like to see.

A single cell 1.4a version that uses a Nichia 83 or 119.

thanks.

When you say single cell, what size cell are you referring to? The main Alpha is a single 18650 but I do "shortys" on special order (IMR123 or 18350).

I have also 1.4A drivers and some Nichia 119s on 20mm stars...and XPG High CRI. Wanna talk ? :)

Brasso

Flashlight Enthusiast
I probably will. I have a new rifle to pay off first, but you definately have my interest now.