Review: Brinyte B158 XML2 LED Flashlight

mhanlen

Enlightened
Just finished modding this light with an XPL HI and FET Driver from Mtn. Electronics. Here is a tutorial on how to do it.

Blitzwing

Enlightened
Good video on the mod. I've got some empty pills coming and will do an XP-G2 @ 2.8A and see how that goes. I know it's old, but it might be worth doing an old XR-E also, just for some old skool fun.

lumen aeternum

Enlightened
What's the highest output Green LED? How does this Brinyte achieve 300 Lm with Green -- is the R5 simply a brighter LED than the below? I see an ad at Mountain Elec saying that:
CREE Green XP-E2 on 16mm Noctigon MCPCB

This is the newest generation XP-E2 and the highest (brightest) bin of that generation available, on a Noctigon direct thermal path copper MCPCB. CREE XP-E2 Green (wavelength range: 520-535nm)

• Estimated Output @ 350mA: 122 lumens
  • Maximum Recommended Drive Current: 1.9A

lumen aeternum

Enlightened
Just finished modding this light with an XPL HI and FET Driver from Mtn. Electronics. Here is a tutorial on how to do it.

Does Gearbest sell "guts" that would fit into the pill holder, so I could get everything from one source? Just to practice doing it; I'd buy the Green LED light and a pill holder. Maybe a Blue LED since that's not available as a premade pill?

mhanlen

Enlightened
Does Gearbest sell "guts" that would fit into the pill holder, so I could get everything from one source? Just to practice doing it; I'd buy the Green LED light and a pill holder. Maybe a Blue LED since that's not available as a premade pill?

I just checked. I won't post links because thats not cool here... but. Yes and no. It looks like they have drivers, that are kind of low powered for about $3-$4. Expect these drivers to be lower powered than the one included with the unit. But to give you some idea on what to search for... "17mm driver" Then you're looking for a driver that has a lithium ion voltage range.... somewhere from 2v-4.5v. Since lithium ion batteries have a top operating voltage from 4.2-4.35 volts, that is the most important spec when looking for a driver. If you get a driver that only goes to 3.0-3.7, you might fry the driver with the battery... or over discharge it, etc.

Then you're looking for a LED on 16mm mcpcb. Gear Best carries a few questionable LEDs in this category. I can't say if any of them work. Fasttech has much better options in this category... and they carry the B158, 17mm lithium ion drivers (4.2v), and 16mm LEDs on MCPCBs. You'll want to use a 16mm cree like a: XPL, XPG2, XPE, XPG, XML, or XML2, if you want to make sure its compatible. But yeah, it's best to buy the light at Gear Best and all your parts elsewhere. By the way a decent driver to search for would be the Qlite Rev.A 17mm driver. It won't provide the high output the driver does here, but it's a decent driver that will set you back about $5.

stolnik

Newly Enlightened
Great review, mhanlen. Looks like an interesting budget zoomie to me. I liked the video where you've modded the light, informative. :)

mhanlen

Enlightened
Great review, mhanlen. Looks like an interesting budget zoomie to me. I liked the video where you've modded the light, informative. :)

It really improves the throw quite a bit, and isn't that hard to do. Thanks!

Last edited: