Review: Nitecore MH27: XP-L HI (V3) + R/G/B, 1000 lumens, 462 meters, (beam)shots

kj75

Enlightened
After the CB6 and HC90 headlamp I got earlier, a new Nitecore mulitcolor light came in: the MH27. Powered by XP-L HI (V3) and improved RGB-leds,that should be 7 times brighter compared to earlier versions. Advantage of the the XP-L HI led is that a good thrower doesn't need a real big reflector anymore, and can have a real compact head. This Multitask Hybrid-member, that is micro-usb rechargeable, should be suited for a lot of tasks: tactical, hunting and law enforcement. Let's have a look how this Nitecore performs, and also show this light side-by-side to a competitor!

The Nitecore Multitask Hybrid 27
s1qddd.jpg

designed for hunting, tactical use and law enforcement
14o9e8l.jpg

deep reflector…
17s7xc.jpg

and built-in XP-L HI (V3) and red green and blue led
14o9gmw.jpg

from ultralow to turbo, and from red to blue!
330uvio.jpg

As usual, we'll start by having a look at the specs, given by Nitecore:

Features:

• Designed for law enforcement, hunting and tactical applications
• Utilizes a CREE XP-L HI V3 LED
• Integrated "Precision Digital Optics Technology" provides extreme reflector performance
• Maximum beam intensity up to 53,500cd
• Maximum beam distance up to 462 meters
• Uses one 18650 Li-ion battery for maximum runtime up to 708 hours
• High efficiency constant current circuit enables maximum output up to 1,000 lumens
• Equipped with unique tricolored (red, green and blue) tactical /signaling lights
• 4 brightness levels and 6 special modes are easily accessible via dual side switches
• Direct access to turbo and red modes
• Features advanced temperature regulation (ATR) technology
• Spring-loaded impact absorption mechanism with reverse polarity protection (Chinese patent:
201220677948.7)
• Intelligent Li-ion battery charging circuit (via Micro-USB charging port)
• A power indicator built into the side switch indicates remaining battery power (accurate to 0.1V)
• Intelligent memory function for brightness levels and special modes (except SOS and location
beacon)
• Tactical lanyard enclosed
• Stainless steel retaining ring protects core components from damage
• Toughened ultra-clear mineral glass with anti-reflective coating
• Constructed from aerospace grade aluminum alloy
• HAIII military grade hard-anodized
• Waterproof in accordance with IPX-8 (submersible to two meters)
• Impact resistant to 1.5 meters
• Tail stand capability

Dimensions:

· Length: 6.08" / 154mm
· Head diameter: 1.57" / 40mm
· Tube: 1 / 25.4mm
· Weight: 5.99oz / 170gram (without battery)

And the output specs:

2924b4x.jpg

Unboxing:

The box of the MH27 was not a surprise: Almost all (2015)Nitecores came in a carton like this. It's a neat package, that has (thanks to the colorful prints an pictures on it) attractive looks. It's a complete box, except a cell everything we need is inside. If unboxed, it's a bit hard job to store the light and the accessories (especially the holster!) in the somewhat cramped box. Should be nice if Nitecore will fix this in future. But overall, a complete and well finished box here! The pictures below will show you more!

a colorful box
fwkl6x.jpg

that contents three parts of the MH27
5w9emd.jpg

except cells it's all inclusive
2zhed0y.jpg

Impressions:

The MH27 reminds on earlier released Nitecores: especially the SRT7 and the Chameleon-series. Thanks to its shape and the removable tactical ring the MH27 is easy to hold. The light has rather big head with integrated charging port, therefore it's not a real tiny one. A good job at the build-quality here, the MH27 has solid feels. Machining, finishing and anodizing are ok, the glass lens and the reflector are clean and the XP-L HI led is well centered. Engraving could be better, it is little blurry at my sample. The MH27 has three built-in color leds that work independent, so one green, one red and one blue bulb. This is different to the SRT7 that three equal, but less powerful leds. About the charging port, it is protected by a rubber cover, but maybe it is a good idea to insert the port at the in the lights' tube (above or in the threads). If that, the o-ring will automatically protect the port against dust and water. Both threads run smoothly and are lubed well. Inside we see both springs in the lights head and in the tailcap to prevent the MH27 against shocks when mounted on a rifle. Also inside the finishing is well done. The lanyard can be fixed easily both at the tailcap as on the tactical ring. A good quality holster is delivered also, and can be added-on at different ways. Overall I can tell you I can't say bad words about the machining and finishing: It's well done! Let's have a look at a bunch of impression-pictures!

the MH27, a light for tactical use
wraoev.jpg

a big aggressive looks
sv18g6.jpg

steady tailstand
dms1e0.jpg

rather compact, but a bit heavy feels
i2umiu.jpg

the big buttons are easy to find in the dark
348fvx3.jpg

tactical ring with lanyard hole
sy5ndd.jpg

clean reflector and well centered XP-L HI led
2uo6gid.jpg

good grip, nice anti-rolling design
14scizn.jpg

the engraving is a bit blurry
24q0ard.jpg

machining well done, no sharp parts
i5detc.jpg

a close up to the tailswitch
2e5i5a8.jpg

well-greased threads
osva8h.jpg

strong construction to prevent against shocks
r1mvy1.jpg

a look into the tailcap
2mmy9u.jpg

a close up to the four leds
2qk58ir.jpg

a close-up to the threads and the cell
2vj1vdz.jpg

the clip can be added at two ways
rjms07.jpg

with recommended cells
2q9coj9.jpg

the lanyard added-on
1qsms5.jpg

well fitting and sturdy holster
a4u4wk.jpg

multitask and multicolor
30wxe2g.jpg

User interface:

Charging the MH27 is not a stretching job: connect the included usb-cable to a power source, that's all. The blue led in the side button informs about the progress: a slow flash means that the light is busy, quick flashing means there's something wrong. When fully charged, the led will be constant on. In-light charging takes rather long, up to 6 hours: no problem during the night or your working day, but for a quick charge I recommend an external charger.

The MH27's power is controlled by the tailswitch: Press for (momentary) on, and cycle through the modes with the side button. A new button, and also a new interface here: The double button has a + and a – mark, this gives the opportunity to cycle up and down through the modes. A good feature that I really like! The side button is easy to locate, thanks to its shape, and can be illuminated (blue flash) if wished. This flashing standy-mode can only be activated when the light is off: Press all buttons at same time, the light will first inform about actual voltage (good feature) and after that it turns into standby location beacon. Cycling up and down works without problems, but personally I would like it if it's possible to forward "endless" through the modes. Example: When you're in blue mode, and you want to HIGH-white mode, you need to press six times. If you could go forward, it should take two….Luckily the MH27 has total three instant modes, that can be activated directly both from off or on. Press and hold the right +button to enter direct TURBO when the light is on. When off, hold the +button while turning the light on by the tailswitch. Same ways to enter direct RED, but now you have to use the left –button. Press both buttons together (in the middle) to enter direct STROBE, only when the light is on. To go into direct STROBE from off, press and hold the right +button when you turn the light on.

Summarizing, I can say Nitecore has given the MH27 a thought-out interface, suited for a light like this, and working without problems. But, I would like to see "mode-forwarding".

Modes:

In normal mode, you can choose from total four white and total three color modes. White modes are ULTRALOW > MID > HIGH > TURBO. Two direct white modes: instant-STROBE and instant-TURBO, that both work from off too, good point! The spacing is good for a light like this but there are big jumps from ULTRALOW to MID and HIGH to TURBO. Total three special white modes and one colored strobe: STROBE > BEACON > SOS > RED/BLUE STROBE. White STROBE mode has memory function: After turning off at STROBE, light will start at STROBE again. Three constant color-modes: starting with RED > GREEN > BLUE. One instant mode here: direct-RED, working both from on and off. Nothing to complain about, enough modes and options.

ATR:

This means Advanced Temperature Regulation and will protect against overheating. Barely noticeable when the light is used for short times, but when the light is on longer time, the output will automatically decrease. No full steps down, but dynamically. Because I mostly use my lights for short illuminating, and not for long search jobs, I can't exactly give charts or something like that about ATR.

Size comparison:

The MH27 shown side-by-side here to another multicolor Nitecore, the CB6 and to a big competitor, the Fenix TK32.

CR123A battery, 18650 cell, Nitecore CB6, Nitecore MH27 and Fenix TK32
a2643b.jpg

Nitecore CB6, Nitecore MH27 and Fenix TK32
2s0bn04.jpg

Nitecore CB6, Nitecore MH27 and Fenix TK32
kbriwx.jpg

XP-G2 and blue XP-E (D4)against XP-L HI V3 and XM-L2(U2) and color leds
724m4o.jpg

the tails: Nitecore CB6, Nitecore MH27 and Fenix TK32
dh31vr.jpg

competitors: Fenix TK32, Olight M23 Javelot and Nitecore MH27
2db3wis.jpg

Tint:

The MH27 has a good tint that's more neutral than the XM-L2. Luckily not greenish or bluish. I've compared the tint to the XM-L2(U2) and the customized (therefore greenish) XP-L.

xnt6r7.jpg

Beamprofile:

The MH27 is designed for throw, and you can see this at the beamprofile: Bright but medium spot, little corona and a lot of spill. A perfect beam without artifacts or defects. No PWM detected at any mode. The profile of the color led does not have the nice shape of the main led. This is because the positions of the color leds in the reflector. This results in a "half" or a "third" beamprofile. Please have a look at the wallshots below that show what I mean.

Beamshots:

First job, the four white modes of the MH27 projected on a white wall, followed by a GIF. After that, the color modes compared to another colorful Nitecore member, the HC90 headlamp. Distance to the wall about 1 meter, distance while showing color modes about 0,75 meter.

Camera settings: ISO100, WB daylight, F/2.7, 1/125 sec, 35mm
210li6b.jpg

2d1le78.jpg

igx3kn.jpg

o7vuco.jpg

animation picture
34eqq0n.jpg

The color-modes compared to the HC90 headlamp:

Camera settings: ISO100, WB daylight, F/2.7, 1/25 sec, 35mm

2s1vqlz.jpg

27yv89e.jpg

1zwf8f4.jpg

Let's see now how this light performs outside…..At first, the four white output modes followed by a GIF. After that, the three color modes compared to the Fenix TK32. Lastly, some distance shots of three pocket throwers.

Camera settings: ISO100, WB daylight, F/2.7, 4.0 sec, 35mm
r0pfl2.jpg

sxerz9.jpg

9sa3pi.jpg

19wd9x.jpg

animation
2qdrla0.jpg

the color modes of the MH27 compared to the Fenix TK32 (what I always notice is that the blue output is rated to low):

19wcqc.jpg

9k2der.jpg

2lkr3gk.jpg

1059wme.jpg

vdectw.jpg

107qbkz.jpg

the MH27 against the Fenix TK32, both at highest mode:
28aopkm.jpg

the MH27 against the Olight M23 Javelot, both lights at highest mode:
2nvb7mq.jpg

Location 2: trees at about 160 meters, all lights at highest mode:
zygjsx.jpg

Conclusion:

The MH27 is a good addition to the world of tactical and hunting lights. A sturdy light that has a bunch of (color) options and an easy interface. For a light that has a relative little head it has very good throw too. Build quality and finishing looks ok, but maybe the usb-port can be hidden in the lights head to ensure the light is waterproof. Now there's still the risk of the not properly closed rubber cover… The color mode will give some extra and handy options to the light, but can only be used at short distance. But it's clear to see the colors' output has increased. I would like to see a color "thrower" in future. I really love the interface that has the possibility to cycle up and down through the modes, though I would see the modes cycle around… Above that, it's always a strong point of Nitecore that they built-in so many direct modes.

Overall, the MH27 is a good choice for those who're looking for tactical or hunting light with easy interface and good performance!

Nitecore MH27 provided for review

Last edited:

UnderPar

Enlightened
Wow! I really like those comparison shots kj75! Thanks for sharing. This MH27 seems to be an interesting light.

CelticCross74

Flashlight Enthusiast
amazing review! Ive had the MH27 since it came out. Once again I am left scratching my head at the inclusion of the red blue strobe cop mode. What is its purpose? Output does seem dead on what NC says it is which is great. As a thrower Id say it is a 45kCD light it really doesnt do any better than my TK32. Still a solid good light with thermal regulation.

Here is my white wall addition to this thread

IMG_01151_zps97krbfdh.jpg

Last edited: