[Review] Nitecore NU25UL (Ultralight Headlamp, USB-C, 4 beams)

Budda

Enlightened
I received the Nitecore NH25UL from Nitecore for the review.

The NU25UL is an ultralight Headlamp designated for the outdoor activities, such as hiking and trail running. Compared to the regular NU25, the UL features an elastic cable instead of the classic elastic band typical of headlamps. The NU25L has a max rated output of 400 lumens, and features 2 main emitters with their own TIR Optic, in order to generate a flood beam and a focused beam, as well as an independent red LED. Both main emitters can be used independently from the other, with their own levels. The NU25UL is powered by an integrated li-ion rechargeable battery with a capacity of 650mAh, rechargeable via the USB-C port.

The NU25UL comes in this box.
Nitecore_NU25_UL_01.jpg
Nitecore_NU25_UL_02.jpg

The content of the Box: the NU25UL, USB-C charging cable and the manual.
Nitecore_NU25_UL_03.jpg
Nitecore_NU25_UL_04.jpg

Here you can see the front of the NU25UL, with the 2 main emitters clearly distinct, and their own optic.
Let's peel away the protective cover.
Nitecore_NU25_UL_05.jpg
Nitecore_NU25_UL_14.jpg

Here you can see the very compact nature of the NU25UL: compared to a small BIC lighter and a standard size Clipper lighter. The light weights 46.6 grams, including the headband cable; and measures 60mm x 33mm x 26mm.
Nitecore_NU25_UL_15.jpg

The back of the headlamp, that rests on your forehead, has a foam insert to make it wear more comfortably and avoid slipping. You can also see the loops that hold the headband cables.
Nitecore_NU25_UL_06.jpg
Nitecore_NU25_UL_07.jpg

On the back there's model number, the battery capacity indicated, and you can see the rotating mechanism.
Nitecore_NU25_UL_08.jpg
Nitecore_NU25_UL_09.jpg

On the side there's the USB-C port for charging the battery, and on it the IP66 rating.
Nitecore_NU25_UL_10.jpg

The headband cable is elastic and has some stiffness to it, is both glow in the dark as well light reflective.
There's a stopper to adjust the length of the headband elastic cable.
Nitecore_NU25_UL_11.jpg
Nitecore_NU25_UL_12.jpg

On the top part of the NU25UL you have the 2 switches, as well as a 4 step blue LED battery indicator.
Nitecore_NU25_UL_13.jpg

Here's the UI
Nitecore_NU25_UL_23.jpg

Nitecore_NU25_UL_24.jpg

Beamshots
Nitecore_NU25_UL_16.jpg

Nitecore_NU25_UL_17.jpg

Nitecore_NU25_UL_18.jpg

Nitecore_NU25_UL_19.jpg

Nitecore_NU25_UL_20.jpg

Nitecore_NU25_UL_21.jpg

Nitecore_NU25_UL_22.jpg

Thanks for reading.

Budda

Enlightened
Output and runtime
Nitecore_NU25_UL_25.png
Nitecore_NU25_UL_26.png
Nitecore_NU25_UL_27.png

My thoughts
The light is well built and finished.
The UI is easy, and I like the direct access to low modes, and the presence of electronic lockout. I like the UI with two simple switches: one to switch emitters, one to switch brightness.
As shown in the beamshots, there's quite some difference between the 3 white modes (spot, flood and mix), so you can find the beam that suits your needs.
The output is regulated on the tested level, although with a heavy stepdown that has to be expected with the lightweight and plastic construction of the NU25.
I really like this new battery indicator, separated from the switches, is clearly readable even in daylight, and you don't have to wait out for how many times it needs to flash, it just turns on directly and you have very clear and intuitive a 25% step indicator (every LED corresponds to 25% of charge). It also makes it easy to see what the actual level of the charge is when charging: instead of a constant blink of a single indicator, on the NU25UL on all the status LED turns on progressively as the charge is completed.
I know this light is very interesting for ultralight enthusiast, I know hikers go to crazy lengths to decrease the weight of that gear, such as cutting off the excess length of the adjusting strap of their backpack, not taking their wallet but only money and ID in a plastic zip lock bag. This is a very interesting headlamps for them, and for the ultralight enthusiast in general.
Not only the NU25UL is small and light, but to an already small and light lamp, an attempt to further reducing the wade was made by replacing the headband strap with an elastic cable (I already know some people will cut the excess loop to shave off some more milligrams) that still features some interesting features, like the glow in the dark and reflective capabilities.
If you are not an ultralight enthusiast, you might still get it for having it in your daily carry kit / vehicle kit.