Review Trustfire X6 SST-90 OUTDOOR BEAM SHOTS ADDED

Enlightened
Re: Review Trustfire X6 SST-90 Lots O Pic's

WOW! If those above figures are the actual OTF lumens, then this light really performs!! Wonder how long it holds it's performance for?...... Looking forward to more outdoor shots...>!!!

Yeah, that is what I am interested to know too, throwjunkie would be able to comment on that as he deals with such thermal stuff/heatsinking professionally in real life. :)

If you could, can we get the current measurement from the tailcap end too? :) (I can see that you are using the Trustfire batts, would be interesting)

Last edited:

ma_sha1

Flashlight Enthusiast

First of all, the X6 is a great value & good looking, I think it cloned the look of M3LT a bit.

However, that being said, The "High Mode:1625 Lumens" is not only not OTF lumens,
its probably slightly higher than the led emitter lumens as well.

The X6 driver & 3" reflector are both available on DX, sold as SST-90 driver & SST-90 reflector.
I tested the driver using 12V power supply & it delivers 5.4A at turn on about 5.1Amp after a minute & stabalized at that current.

To get an idea on what OTF to be expected, here is a link to a SST-90 @5.4 Amp:
http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb...LUMENS-5.4A-SST-90-2-D-Mag-build-using-7135-s

It's just shy of 1100 lumens OTF at 5.4Amp. The x6 has bigger reflector, which will
throw a lot better but the OTF lumens won't be dramatically changed.

At this drive current, a SST-50 will have similar lumens but greater throw.

Better yet, with a copper based system using this driver, I am working on driving XML in this big reflector to 5.4Amp, in which it'll significantly out-throw the X6 probably by a factor of 2x
(similar lumens from 4mm die vs. 9mm die, offers >2x surface brightness which dictates the throw under the same reflector)

Again, that being said, X6 still a great light for the money.

Last edited:

Throwjunkie

Enlightened

No pictured today was pouring down all morning hopefull tomorrow.
Ma Sha not sure I follow you on those readings. This X6 can out throw the Ebay HID and is very close to being as bright. I sure hope 50W HID is better then 1100 lumens.
Not doubting anything you said Brother just seems like alot more then 1100 compared to some of my better trusted lumens lights.

2100 I will do a run time test on the light tonight to see if and when it heats up so far it's not got hot but I haven't run it longer then 5 min I can tell you in that time I saw no degradation of light but the only true way to know is use a meter. I got 2 weeks before my gets here will see then.
I am using AW batts in the light but posted what came with it so folks know.I'll see what I can do for current measurement for you 2100

What I can say about the X6 is it's one bad A$$ light for the price 327 yards of throw and I think it will do more the main thing is I could see the wall I was lighting up very well I cant wait to take it to my property where is t's complete darkness and 1000+ yards to test its full throw. If I had to guess I'd say 400 yards for this light and I still see what its lighting up now thats not saying I can see the gonads on a fly that far but I should be able to tell a buck from doe deer.

If I get some time tonight I'll run a tail cap test for you I wanna test out my MOZO lights tomorrow morning cant wait to see how they do.

Joe

ma_sha1

Flashlight Enthusiast

No pictured today was pouring down all morning hopefull tomorrow.
Ma Sha not sure I follow you on those readings. This X6 can out throw the Ebay HID and is very close to being as bright. I sure hope 50W HID is better then 1100 lumens.
Not doubting anything you said Brother just seems like alot more then 1100 compared to some of my better trusted lumens lights.

You are mixing up the Throw (lux @ 1 meter) with Lumens. :)
50W HID puts out 40-45W at the lamp, should be around 4000 lumens.
But Throw only comes from beam center lux reading, higher lumens doesn't necessary equal longer throw, as light not in the beam center doesn't aid in throw.

Maxa Beam has only 1500 lumens, but throw is several million lux @ 1 meter.
Even 100W HID, over 12,000 lumens would not be able to out throw Maxa Beam in same sized reflector.

By the same token, you can not compare spot brightness & estimate lumens from that.
If you compare X6 with Maxa beam spot brightness, which is only 1500 lumens, you might conclude X6 is less than 100 lumens :)

Can not rely on human eyes, you need a lux meter to measure throw, need a integrated sphere to measure lumens or calculate rough lumens from spec sheet based on math.

Last edited:

Enlightened

5.x amperes at the driver is really low.

And anyway Throwjunkie you really need to wait for the 65W ballast. Really worthwhile for that little amount of $$. Thanks and waiting for your measurements at the tailcap (remember its in series with 3 18650s).

ma_sha1

Flashlight Enthusiast

Some China flashlight sellers don't like to spell out the driver specs,
as it may controdict with hyped up lumen claims :)

look here, this site disclosed X6 Hi mode =5000ma. Which would be about 1400-1500 led lumens per SST-90 spec sheet. Not the claimed 2300 lumens, which will take a Top Bin (N Bin) with 9Amp driving current to get up there.
http://webcache.googleusercontent.c...=29&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us&source=www.google.com

Here is another site, there's a few more sites listed the current spec.:
sales link removed
Can't trust the lumen claims, leaned long time ago from the 900 lumen cheap p7 flashlight days

Last edited by a moderator:

Throwjunkie

Enlightened

Got some more Pics today from 199 yards and 62 yards First let me answer 2100 at the tail cap I measure 2.98A I also ran the light today for 15 Min. measured temp before and after temp 72Deg start 91Deg finnish temp shot with my raytek. Current measured with my Fluke DMM

Ok now for some pic's
Google map
3shots.jpg

199 yards
Control
beams2028.jpg

MOZO 4" HID
beams2001.jpg

X6 SST-90
beams2002.jpg

50W ebay flashlight
beams2004.jpg

Dereelight DBS V3 XM-L
beams2003.jpg

62 Yards
Control
beams2027.jpg

Mozo 4" 35W
beams2019.jpg

X6 SST-90
beams2018.jpg

50W ebay flashlight
beams2020.jpg

Dereelight DBS V3 XM-L
beams2021.jpg

I dont know the X6 kinda speaks for its self. Nice that outside the warm tint I see indoors is not present Im very impressed with the X6 cant wait till my meter comes.

Joe

Enlightened

Haha....Joe, I am not worried about the X6, so it is taking in nearly 10V and 3A? I'm more worried about the 50W Ebay, it seems anemic! (which shouldn't be the case). Anyways you do have a 65W ballast coming right (I hope yours is like mine, day and night difference).

Bro ma_sha, do you happen to know how efficient these drivers are (i'm not really into DIY LEDs)?

Throwjunkie

Enlightened

yes I have the 65W on the way The X6 is running 3A @ 11.1 Volts 12.6 freshly charged. I think the cruddy reflector on the Ebay Hid is why the X6 is close to it. The X6 is so very bright and throws very well I wish my camera could capture what I see. the 50W ebay HID is no toy light its very powerfull even with the cruddy reflector. I assume the Tint also has something to do with it as the HID is to my eyes close to 6000k and the X6 in the 4000K range.

Joe

Last edited:

recDNA

Flashaholic

Ok Here are some quick shots outside my work not the best had to rush to get them in before it started raining the distance measured on Google earth will shoot it with my laser rangefinder also to see how accurate. Lights layed on sand bag on my truck seat. Pics are in order below.
Control Pic.
DBS V3 2.5A XM-L Pill
50W Ebay Flashlight HID
X6 SST-90
Google shot at the distance Im in my company lot shooting across 2 other lots at a warehouse quite far
Beamshot.jpg

Control
beamshots019.jpg

Dereelight DBS V3 XM-L
beamshots016.jpg

50W Ebay HID
beamshots017.jpg

X6 SST-90
beamshots018.jpg

The X6 can hold its own well with the 50W HID very impressive both very close to same size reflector X6 having the better of the 2
Will try again tomorrow provided it doesnt rain I'll get some closer shots 100Yards. I was very impressed with the throw all 3 lights had I think the XM-L may be a bit washed out due to reflections but I assure you it was lighting the same wall as the X6 and 50W Hid just not as brightly.

Joe

Too me all the pics including the control look the same?

justanotherguy

Enlightened

Not true. Look closely, just about center. to the right of the big street light?
You can barely make out the beam. At first I wasnt impressed, but the object faintly lit is the side id a warehouse about 300 yards out...
See it?

recDNA

Flashaholic

I see what you mean. The street lights are so bright I didn't see it. Not the best spot for beam shots but thanks anyway. It's tough to find a place you can shoot 300 yards without the police coming

Throwjunkie

Enlightened

I will be doing shots at my property this weekend its completly dark there only star light those will be much better and will truely show how well the X6 can put light down range. The Pictures dont show what I see especialy at 300+ yards but you can clearly see the warehouse being lit up 327 yards away even in the pics. I am also very impressed with the DBS V3 in XM-L didnt expect it to light that warehouse but it does granted not as much as the others but enough to make out a person standing down there for sure.

Joe

Throwjunkie

Enlightened

Packing my stuff up now for the Trip Spending the weekend down there Camping. Got some Deer back straps packed in the cooler and 52 flashlights/spotlights. My biggest Field is 1000 yards by 1200 yards gonna turn on every light see if I can make it day time in the field LOL. Will be back on sunday but checking in and posting on from EVO when I get time.

Joe

Throwjunkie

Enlightened

Got some Pics some came out some didnt I took the best pics for this post range is 342 Yards from a gully to the woods near my camp site. I wasnt that delighted with the Pictures next time I'll take my Lap top to DL them rite away. The SR90 I had hoped to test the X6 against was dead we charged it and it was still dead it had a good bit of water inside so for sure it wasn't waterproof as much water that was still around it I suspect it was submerged completely. first pic is Google
HuntingProperty.jpg

Control
proppics023.jpg

55W cyclops
proppics017.jpg

MOZO 6"
proppics018.jpg

X6
proppics019.jpg

Ebay Hid
proppics020.jpg

Sorry for the crappy Pic I'm learning the camera setting so hopefull next time they will be better

Joe

Enlightened

Thanks Joe for the hard work!

Pity about the SR90. I guess you'd need to ask your friend to get another one then. :devil: Maybe just in time for your Ebay 65W (shd make a noticeable diff) vs the new SR90. :)

All the pictures are of the same exposure settings, 1/2s, f3.1, ISO320. I can see that your cyclops can be focused better. Wear a rubber glove, shift the bulb in and out and see? The surrounding corona's a bit big, but still its usable....like say you are shooting hogs/rabbits and need to light up a big central hotspot but still wanna check out if anything moves beside it (like the other members of the family!). :sick2:
Apologies to the animal lovers, just giving a useful example to the guy in one of his hobby.

Throwjunkie

Enlightened

actually the dark ring is darkness the lighter area near me is from my lantern I had alot of lights in the field didnt wanna loose or step on any so I turned on a small lantern and placed it behind me so I could just see things on the gorund but not ruin the photos. The cyclops shoots a laser beam of light I didnt realize I was low on the trees when I snapped the pics. I am working on a manual focuser to install so I can focus at any distance on the fly.

Joe

Throwjunkie

Enlightened

was a very ugly weekend at the property Rain, wind,Tornados, Hail, lions, tigers and bears oh my. didnt even bring the lights from the truckI will be going down every weekend till june for Turkey hunting so I should be able to get some more Pictures

I am still very happy with the X6 it has been bounced around a good bit in my Yukon and still looks brand new didnt get and turkeys for the table this weekend but I came close has one coming and hung up short next time Ill be a bit closer to his Roost

coolmeester

Newly Enlightened

I am very disappointed to X6. I hoped it would be good alternative for HID lights but it isn't. Spot is pretty small and tight but still it doesn't throw much. And like all the led lights have that 6000K beam is very ugly. Compared to my MTE M3-2i MC-E, that little beast is MUCH brighter than X6. Next I'll try to mod my X6 to direct drive, maybe it will perform then better.

Microfire Warrior III 35W HID outperforms all the led lights ive tried in every aspect. New version has improved reflector and it has nice warm tint output. Of course it is much more expensive but so, so much better light.

Latest posts