Reviews Being Stolen???

bshanahan14rulz

Flashlight Enthusiast
EZO;3896364[B said:
BTW[/B], Many people sign up for free services like Photobucket without bothering to actually read the Terms of Service contract that they are agreeing to and are shocked to find out what they've signed up for after the fact. Here's a snippet from Photobucket's terms that may be of interest to anyone putting their personal images on the Bucket, particularly anything that might have commercial value one day.

"You grant us a worldwide, non-exclusive, royalty-free license (with the right to sublicense) to copy, distribute, publicly perform (e.g., stream it), publicly display (e.g., post it elsewhere), reproduce and create derivative works from it (meaning things based on it), anywhere, whether in print or any kind of electronic version that exists now or later developed, for any purpose, including a commercial purpose."

Facebook is another one of those commonly used services where ownership of uploaded files become their property, basically.

EZO

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi Bigmac_79,

"

EZO, what is that in your pic? Is that real?

Keith

Hi Keith, I'm not sure what pic you are referring to since the post you quote me from (#19) has no images in it.
Maybe you are thinking of post #14 . The image there is a screen shot from a stats page which shows many sites (mostly from Russia) linking to a folder of images on my server. It is indeed real and the list is now about three times longer than when I made the screen shot you see in the post.

Bigmac_79

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi Keith, I'm not sure what pic you are referring to since the post you quote me from (#19) has no images in it.
Maybe you are thinking of post #14 . The image there is a screen shot from a stats page which shows many sites (mostly from Russia) linking to a folder of images on my server. It is indeed real and the list is now about three times longer than when I made the screen shot you see in the post.

My impression was he was asking about your profile pic. ;)

EZO

Flashlight Enthusiast
Facebook is another one of those commonly used services where ownership of uploaded files become their property, basically.

This practice is now widespread throughout the industry. Almost any content you upload to any social networking or media sites, some internet forums, cloud services and a variety of others require that you sign over the publishing rights to your content, even if you own the registered copyright to the content. This includes any image you upload to Facebook or Google+, any video you upload to YouTube and so on and so forth. In many cases, even if you cancel your account and remove your content, the rights to your content have been assigned away forever and the content you think you'ved removed has been archived. Some corporations, like Facebook are not content with just claiming ownership of your photos, videos, graphics, poetry, prose or whatever, they claim permanent ownership of your name, likeness and image!

"You hereby grant Facebook an irrevocable, perpetual, non-exclusive, transferable, fully paid, worldwide license (with the right to sublicense) to (a) use, copy, publish, stream, store, retain, publicly perform or display, transmit, scan, reformat, modify, edit, frame, translate, excerpt, adapt, create derivative works and distribute (through multiple tiers), any User Content you (i) Post on or in connection with the Facebook Service or the promotion thereof subject only to your privacy settings or (ii) enable a user to Post, including by offering a Share Link on your website and (b) to use your name, likeness and image for any purpose, including commercial or advertising, each of (a) and (b) on or in connection with the Facebook Service or the promotion thereof."

Facebook has offered explanations and rationalizations about this policy by pointing to the privacy settings wording in their TOS but legal experts who've analyzed the contract disagree.

Last edited:

EZO

Flashlight Enthusiast
My impression was he was asking about your profile pic. ;)

Oh, I see. Keith quotes from a specific post without mentioning my avatar. There could be a better way of asking me this question, no?

Yes, it's real and part of a series of "formal" portraits I've been working on where I bring critters into my studio for "sittings".

Chicago X

Enlightened
Changing the hotlinked images to a cartoon of the prophet Mohammed giving the "buddy Jesus" thumbs-up may encourage a change of heart on their part....

Norm

Retired Administrator
Changing the hotlinked images to a cartoon of the prophet Mohammed giving the "buddy Jesus" thumbs-up may encourage a change of heart on their part....

But have the already re hosted the images?

Norm

Last edited:

budynabuick

Enlightened
Oh, I see. Keith quotes from a specific post without mentioning my avatar. There could be a better way of asking me this question, no?

Yes, it's real and part of a series of "formal" portraits I've been working on where I bring critters into my studio for "sittings".

Yea, since there was only one pic in the post I quoted, I should have stated "avatar'. That thing would make a cool pet (I guess, if it did not eat-ya )! Would you mind stating what it is? Size? Just the name would suffice so I can look it up. Thanks.
Keith

LEDninja

Flashlight Enthusiast
A long time ago when I was buying DVDs from Amazon, I filled in one of their lists - the DVDs followed by a short description/mini review. While searching for other DVDs with the same topic I came across a list with my mini reviews on a website. The enterprising owner had added links to Amazon.
When he collected enough clicks ... er ... enough $$$, he bought one of the DVDs and replaced my mini review with his own. This went on until he bought all the DVDs when he closed down the website. I thought it rather funny Amazon was paying him to re-host a list they already have in-house. (Google found both lists.)

EZO

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yea, since there was only one pic in the post I quoted, I should have stated "avatar'. That thing would make a cool pet (I guess, if it did not eat-ya )! Would you mind stating what it is? Size? Just the name would suffice so I can look it up. Thanks.
Keith

Hi Keith - The reptile in my avatar photo is just a common Eastern Garter snake, albeit a rather large one, perhaps 32-35 inches in length. (Some can get much bigger.)

Last edited: