Reviews of TLE-6EXB (2-3 C/D Maglite Drop in)

Durango360

Newly Enlightened
Mine was a pretty sad blue as well after about 30 seconds of operation.

On closer inspection with a magnifying glass, the pill was not touching the meager heatsink on one side. I used a toothpick to jam some thermal paste into the side that was lifted and then pushed down on the edges of the pill to allow proper contact. I've ordered some thermal epoxy so that I can unsolder the pill and do a proper repair.

This seems to have fixed the problem. Should I have had to do this? Absolutely not but it's easier than the hassle of returning it.

Modern_Major_General

Newly Enlightened
you still need a way to heatsink that , the ba-1 has plastic in it which i think would melt , but i have seen a fivemega ceramic gold pr bulb adapter that might work

I doubt it would melt. The TLE-5EX normally rests on plastic in the Mini-M*g and it doesn't melt that. Naturally you couldn't expect it to be as bright, but it might solve the short battery life people have been experiencing with the TLE-6EXB on 2 cells.

Cydonia

Enlightened
These are some bad experiences reported so far. Anyway, I've ordered 4 SSC P4's from Deal Extreme and plan on upgrading my MagLED's instead. TerraLux really dropped the ball on this one. But then again, they dropped the ball real good on the MiniStar 2 Extreme too... they are trying to do too much on too little R&D... and trying to sell at too low a price point.

xhackr

Newly Enlightened
I have been speaking with Matt in email, and yesterday I had a long conversation with Tony, the Principal of TerraLUX. Beyond being an extremely affable guy, he was very interested in the issues I experienced. I will be shipping him my flashlight, batteries, and module for his analysis. After speaking with Tony, I received an email from Matt that TerraLUX will be processing the returns on this module to facilitate their investigations of these issues.

There is definitely a problem here, but it is a pleasure dealing with Matt and Tony, both professional, conscientious businessmen. It is a refreshing experience from an all too common take the money and run business culture.

TerraLUX website - http://www.terralux.biz/

Take a look at these bios, EEs from Caltech and MIT, with Tony holding a PhD in Physical Chemistry from Brown University -
http://www.terralux.biz/about/meet_the_team.htm I'm pretty sure these guys will figure it out. :)

Derek Dean

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for the update xhackr. I was looking forward to this drop-in, and will probably still get one when Tony gets the problems sorted out. :)

Yota

Newly Enlightened
Anyone care to suggest an alternative drop in solution for a 2 cell Mag?[/quote]

AndyTiedye

Flashlight Enthusiast
I use a TLE-6EX in a 2-cell mag -- with a pair of AW C cells.
For the "C" Mag, get the spacer to handle the extra length.
For the "D" Mag, the extra length is enough so you only need to stretch the spring a little.
A bit of thinwall PVC pipe keeps the rattles away.

rolling

Enlightened
When i turn mine on it flickers. When the flickering stops I hear a high frequent sound. When the sound stops the bulb gets so hot it beginns to dim and gets greenish. Not worth the money and especially not the high shipping cost to europe.

JAS

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thank you for the posts. I just happened to run across the Fleabay list for this and I got interested, but then I read the posts here and no I have pretty much lost ALL interest in this. My first thought was to replace the genuine Mag LED that I bought some months back, but no way now!

bguy

Newly Enlightened
Well, I ordered one on Monday when CPF was still down. Along with the Minimag cree. Now that I read this, I hope I won't be let down. Terralux has always seemed to have good products before.

Batteryjunction shipped first thing Tuesday, so I expect to have it in hand by Friday or Saturday. From the items description, I expect it to be better than the MagLED I already have. I have a couple 3D mags, so I can do beam comparisons.

Bradley

orbital

Flashlight Enthusiast

I have no reason to advocate TerraLUX, but I have to say mine are fine.
No flicker, no funny colors ect.... I have one for my Dad 2D, and one for myself 2C (midnight blue)..
The SSC color of both are more warm white as compared to most of my CREEs which are toward the cooler white.

These drop-ins are more for runtime, many hours is a nice change as compared to my other lights which are much less.
I'm quite happy with mine.

WadeF

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have one for my Dad 2D, and one for myself 2C (midnight blue)..

I wonder if the problem is only showing up in 3 cell mags. I have mine in a 3D and in a few minutes it goes to blue and isn't nearly as bright. I'll have to give MattK a call and see how we should go about getting a replacement.

BSBG

Enlightened
I ordered two.

One is a little orange tinged, but the other is a nice white. Leaving them on for 4-5 minutes produced no color shift with either. Compared to a MagLED in a 3C, the Terralux seems a tad brighter in a 3d. A 2C seems about the same brightness. Not scientific, but that's all I've got...

Overall, I don't think they are bad, but I am not blown away either.

mitchfried

Newly Enlightened
I've got two, both in 3D bodies. No problems, running fine. I also have the earlier TLE-6EX running in a 2D, but powered by two 3A to D, resulting in 9 volts. That's a little brighter. Finally, I have one of the original high output 2D Malkoff's, which appears brighter and whiter than the Terra's.

Based on my experience, I would say some of you received bum units, and that the good ones are worth the money.

qip

Flashlight Enthusiast
does yours get hot after a few minutes.... mine seemed fine too when i used it , it did not turn blue or flash and had nice output BUT i then ran a multimeter to it and the numbers dont lie something was wrong ...if you expect this to give you runtime and it cant drive the batteries down to .8v each then theres no way you get good runtime when it cuts out to short