Rexlight, DX X.1 & X.V, Jetbeam MkIIX & CLE, Fenix L1DCE review: RUNTIMES + BEAMSHOTS

led4me

Newly Enlightened
Re: Rexlight, DX X.1 & X.V, Jetbeam MkIIX & CLE, Fenix L1DCE review: RUNTIMES + BEAMS

led4me, your numbers seem good bit higher than what I observed with my Rex:

Rex 2.0 #2007050241 (natural HA)

ROV Hybrid 2100 mAH NiMH - 5 minutes off of the C9000 (1.433v after test)

(L) - .06 A
(M) - .21 A
(H) - 1.21 A

Could the LED be the only difference between these lights, or was the puck changed during the production cycle? :thinking:

These two units seem to be 188 units apart by serial number.

I see that your numbers are kind of close to Selfbuilt's numbers but mine seem unusually high. I wonder if the battery or perhaps the charge on the battery makes that much of a difference. I don't have Sanyo 2500 mAH but do have ROV Hybrid 2100 mAH. I will try to do another measurement when I get time and post it later.

selfbuilt

Flashaholic
Re: Rexlight, DX X.1 & X.V, Jetbeam MkIIX & CLE, Fenix L1DCE review: RUNTIMES + BEAMS

Selfbuilt
Is the "smart memory mode" when the light turns on to the setting it was last used at? If so, my black Rex (# 2007040220) does.
Yes, seems to be about 50:50 as near as I can tell ... some people's lights remember on regular batteries, and some don't (like mine).

BTW, Kai just posted looking for interest on a Rex 2.1 that would (supposedly)take 2AA, be brighter on 14500, with double the runtime on regular batteries, among other things. If so, that would certainly bring it in line with the competition - just hope they fix the smart memory feature and don't screw up the excellent runtimes on 14500. Here's Kai's post:
Rexlight REX2.1 Update

led4me

Newly Enlightened

Tried some more batteries, I'll probably post this to the Rex 2.0 amp draw thread as well. Batteries were charged with old Energizer 30minute charger.

For ROV 2100mAh, before test, 1.409V
L: .11 amp
M: .45 amp
H: 2.16 amp

For Ultra 2500mAh, before test 1.41V
L: .12 amp
M: .46 amp
H: 2.23 amp

For Lenmar 2000mAh, before test 1.428V
M: .44 amp
H: 1.84 amp

For Energizer 1850mAh, before test 1.398V
M: .38 amp
H: 2.11 amp

Low and medium on mine seem kind of consistent. High varied a bit and I'm guessing due to how much the battery can handle pulling so much current out. I've always had problems with Lenmar batteries and therefore not surprised that it has the lowest current output on high level.

selfbuilt

Flashaholic

Just updated the main post with a summary table showing output, throw, and runtime for each of the lights. Enough people have asked about throw, I thought I should put it right up front.

FYI, I've ordered a number of the single-stage 1AA lights from DX, and plan to do a similar review on them. Should be a lot faster given only one mode each! :grin2:

gunga

Flashaholic

You rock Selfbuilt. This is valuable info.

I have picked up a second Jetbeam C-LE on sale (v1.2) and am glad the runtimes and such line up to claims.

I'm curious about the Rexlight 2.1, but am not a fan of the annoying new modes. Keeping it fairly simple with a 1-2 second memory and LI-on over discharge protection function would be ideal.

:twothumbs

selfbuilt

Flashaholic

I have picked up a second Jetbeam C-LE on sale (v1.2) and am glad the runtimes and such line up to claims. I'm curious about the Rexlight 2.1, but am not a fan of the annoying new modes.
Just ordered a C-LE 1.2 from Jetbeam's site myself today (down to $24.50 with free ship), and will compare when it comes in. But something tells me it will take a while ... I hope they have the airmail thing sorted out!

I'll likely go for the Rex 2.1 when it comes out as well. It never ends ...:rolleyes:

Last edited:

OhMyGosh

Newly Enlightened

I have a DX X.V and I just love it. It is my EDC pocket light. I was unhappy with the thread stiffness until I got some Nyogel. Now it is silky and very easy to use with one hand.

It comes with a foam rubber gasket. If you stick that in the head it stops the battery rattle. The beam spot is much larger than the review picture shows. I don't know why. The spot is the same size as my L2D-CE but more even without a bright 'inner spot'. The color is very good.

It does have a slightly noticeable PWM flicker on low - but I kind of like it. It freezes the ripple patterns in the water for those late night bathroom visits :)

I think someone would be very happy with ANY of the lights in this review:twothumbs

Last edited:

selfbuilt

Flashaholic

The beam spot is much larger than the review picture shows. I don't know why. The spot is the same size as my L2D-CE but more even without a bright 'inner spot'. The color is very good.
There's always a certain amount of variability - every emitter/reflector combo needs to be tuned by hand to get the most reliable hotspot focus. Fenix is quite good at this, others less so. Given the slight "ringiness" on my D.X, it seems they didn't quite the focus right. Not a big deal in practice.

And I agree - they are all good lights! :grin2:

chesterqw

Flashlight Enthusiast

is the rexlight really not regulated on 14500 high?

the low runtime looks GREAT!!! 20 hours on alk!!!!! woot!!!

maybe i should try that too :p

Gary123

Enlightened

Regarding the Dex X.1, Selfbuilt or anyone:

The interface on normal, at least on mine, is weird, even unpleasant to use. There are 4 constant light output levels. Something like a med, low, hi, med-low. Are they all like this? Tough to find the level you want because the levels don't do a linear increase as you cycle through them. Worst interface I've ever seen. If you pass the output you want, which is easy on this light, you must then cycle through the strobing modes and back to the constant output levels to try again. Are all the DX X.1's like this?

selfbuilt

Flashaholic

The interface on normal, at least on mine, is weird, even unpleasant to use. There are 4 constant light output levels. Something like a med, low, hi, med-low. Are they all like this?
I'm afraid so. The original MkIIx interface was med (30%), lo (5%), med-hi (60%). People complained about the lack of a full high (100%) in standard mode. So when DX came out with their version, rather than replace the med-hi (which would have made more sense to me), they added a full hi 100% in-between the lo and med-hi steps. This makes for a very wonky sequence, as you've pointed out.

Personally, I'd much rather have lo-med-hi, since that's the most useful at night. But the med-lo-hi sequence is fairly standard on a lot of lights, based on the assumption that med is what most people would use the most (aka "primary").

mar3

Newly Enlightened

I have made tests on different battery

Rex with ni-mh 2600 mAh run on max ~ 1hour and 15 minutes and dimm fastly

with ni-cd 800 mAh ~ 40 minutes and dimm fastly

Strange results :thinking:

ps. I have installed SMO Ultrafire B1 reflector too my REX :twothumbs
rexsmome6.jpg

selfbuilt

Flashaholic

Just updated the main post "Low graph" with DX X.1 runtimes at 5% on alkalines ... no suprises, performs roughly in-line with the others (a tad brighter, with a tad shorter runtime).

Also just received my new v1.2 C-LE from Jetbeam today ($24.50 shipped from their website) - the runtime tests have begun! Initial impression is good: overall output is comparable to my older model C-LE, but the PWM is *vastly* improved - barely noticeable now, in fact (I measured it at 317Hz in primary and low, 7.6Hz in strobe). Now features a 2sec memory mode, whereby it memorizes any mode you are in for more than 2secs before turning off the light - so that it returns to that mode when you turn it back on (rather than defaulting to primary mode always, as the older models do).

I also have the new Lumapower LM-301 on order, as well as some of those DX/Kai multi-mode Cree/SSC lights - I'll keep updating this thread as they come in and I test them. I've also got some of the cheaper single-stage DX/Kai lights on order, and will make a review post of all them once I get a few more in.

This is an expensive hobby! :broke:
:twothumbs

Last edited:

bondr006

Flashlight Enthusiast

Could someone please provide a link to the JetBeam site where you can find the new version C-LE? Thanks....:thumbsup:

And yes selfbuilt....my wallet is begging me for mercy.

bondr006

Flashlight Enthusiast

Anyone??? I have searched and searched and cannot find it. Even Google is not finding it for me.

selfbuilt

Flashaholic

C-LE v1.2 just added to the main post.

Definitely improved the screw threads, and output is noticeably higher too - although with a trade-off: now has a huge "ski-slope" drop to zero in primary mode.

Light also features a new "memory mode" where it retains last mode setting if left on for 2secs. Unfortunately, performance can be eratic - if you don't keep all contact surfaces in pristine condition, you start getting all sorts of sequence problems and errors. And unfortunately, the threads get "dirty" fast on this twisty light. Expect to perform an above-average level of regular maintenance if you want consistent performance.

Last edited:

lamperich

Enlightened

I have made tests on different battery

Rex with ni-mh 2600 mAh run on max ~ 1hour and 15 minutes and dimm fastly

with ni-cd 800 mAh ~ 40 minutes and dimm fastly

Strange results :thinking:
[/IMG]

No No - its not a strange behavior...

selfbuilt

Flashaholic

Low mode added to the first post for C-LE v1.2.

Frankly, I'm amazed at the efficiency of this light on low - nearly twice the output of the X.V, but for the same run time! Very impressive update to the circuitry in terms of low mode efficiency.