RGB LED controller - gone bad?

lumen aeternum

Enlightened
I have a 3 foot strip of RGB LEDS under a shelf, used to illuminate a Christmas display. This year it won't light up. The controller says 5-12V, there is a tiny 4 prong connector to the LED strip. and a large USB connector on the other end, to a 4xAA power box. These 3 things came as a set. I also replaced the coin battery in the remote controller.

I would replace the controller but everything I see online has a female "headphone" type connector to goto the power source.

Or does the remote go bad? Or the power box?

I would prefer a controller with a manual switch not the RF remote, they never work worth crap. On this, the color choices never work right.

This is the closest I can find, but its 3x2A and the one I have is 3x4A. With only about 30" is suppose its enough ?

amazon.com/VIPMOON-Remote-Control-Controller-Wireless/dp/B07WC46PQK/

Last edited:

Dave_H

Flashlight Enthusiast
I love these cheap RGB strips, have obtained several for as little as $5 or less each (for 3 ft.) or a bit more for 6 ft. or even 10 ft.

Can you check the battery box with another USB-powered device (light, or charging something)? If the cells are OK, check contacts, clean if necessary. Also wipe the cell ends, sometimes a bit of dirt or oil etc. prevents contact.

If you have disconnected the strip from controller 4-pin plug/socket, be sure it is plugged in in the right direction; I find they allow both directions. If incorrect, damage is unlikely but it won't work. Typically there is a common +ve supply pin and one pin for each colour.

If you have another similar strip you can cross-check the components; start with the remote.

I have had one remote fail over several devices and years or usage, they seem fairly reliable unless subject to some adverse condition e.g. water.

Controller rating 2A or 4A should not matter for this strip, it is likely under 1A total.

Do you have a digital multimeter (DMM)? Even a simple cheap one can be useful for this.

Dave

Dave_H

Flashlight Enthusiast
These strips use infrared IR remote, not RF.

You could also use a Li-ion USB battery pack in place of the 4xAA box. They are not expensive. Either that, or 4xAA NiMH in the box, if not already. Either way, more constant voltage would be output over the cell cycle, compared to alkalines; not likely a large impact on brightness though.

Dave

lumen aeternum

Enlightened
The box lights a string of grain of rice lights, so the box is OK
I align the controller with the string by putting the triangles facing each other.

Just now I fiddled with reversing the 4 prong connector between the lights & the controller, I got a flash... Now its working, triangle to triangle. Weird. The 4 prong is very easy to pull out, terrible design. Taped it.

Dave_H

Flashlight Enthusiast
Very good it's working. Those 4-pin header sets are not designed to hold without some
restraint, in this case heat-shrink sleeve. Once that's removed, taping is a good idea.

Dave