Mystery LED/Diode?

Cavalier

Newly Enlightened
Hi all. I'm new here and this has me stumped. This was part of a circuit that made a tiny pico flicker. It itself didn't light up though. It clearly looks to be a 2 color LED with a common cathode. But it didn't light up at all. And how would that even make the pico flicker anyway? The pico was wired to the negative and the positive was wired to the common cathode. Looks to have a processing chip or two as the flicker. So was this a 2 color flicker LED? Does anyone know where to find these? Unfortunately I can't test it anymore as something got fried somewhere. Ran off of 3v. But, again, only the pico lit.

KIMG8411.JPG
KIMG8408.JPG
KIMG8412.JPG

Cavalier

Newly Enlightened
I think the tiny pico flicker WAS the LED getting fried.
No. This was sold as part of a circuit to specifically make the pico flicker. Like a candle LED. Whatever this is was covered in black heat shrink.

You can see it all the way to the right.

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
I agree, it looks like it is/was a 2 color LED. The lens shape suggests a status light on an indicator panel. I'm guessing it was for some sort of go/no-go indicator.

Cavalier

Newly Enlightened
I agree, it looks like it is/was a 2 color LED. The lens shape suggests a status light on an indicator panel. I'm guessing it was for some sort of go/no-go indicator.
Any idea how it made the pico flicker? It was intentionaly sold this way to simulate candle light. Was the 3v just enough to power the pico and not the 2 colors?

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
Any idea how it made the pico flicker? It was intentionaly sold this way to simulate candle light. Was the 3v just enough to power the pico and not the 2 colors?
It's really puzzling because normally an LED with a built-in flicker chip has only two leads, and sometimes the built-in controller chip was actually a repurposed music generator chip wher the variable audio output was used to modulate the LED on and off. If this was intended as a flickering LED though, I'm stumped as to why they needed a third lead unless it was intended as an on/off lead that was controlled by software.

Cavalier

Newly Enlightened
It's really puzzling because normally an LED with a built-in flicker chip has only two leads, and sometimes the built-in controller chip was actually a repurposed music generator chip wher the variable audio output was used to modulate the LED on and off. If this was intended as a flickering LED though, I'm stumped as to why they needed a third lead unless it was intended as an on/off lead that was controlled by software.
It's really strange. Thank you. I've searched just about everywhere and can't find this same thing. I've found red/green flat leds with the 3 leads that look exactly the same. But not ones that mention flickering. I asked the company if they sell those separately and how does it make the pico flicker. They ignored the question lol
Maybe it's specialty made just for them.