RIP Maglite (the bird)

bykfixer

Flashaholic
While in a pet store recently I passed by a bird that was bobbing its head back and forth like it was at a Metalica concert. I said to Mrs Fixer "that's pretty cool, what kind of bird is that?" She replied "the thousand dollar kind". I said "never mind" lol. "Rock on dude".

It dawned on me Friday I am nowcofficially used to not having Maglite fly across the room and bite me on the ear when I arrive home. Kinda sad in a way, that our intruder alert, danger to a stranger burglar alarm is now in birdee heaven. For the first couple of weeks I'd still peer about looking for the direction he was going to attack me from while pulling off my work boots.

Some days he'd land on my shoulder and be all like "hey man how was your day?" Other days it was "I really it when you're late and don't give me my 5:00 cracker" CHOMP to the ear.

Meanwhile there are still times when Tralfaz the dog will sit across the room staring at Maglite's cage as if he wonders whatever happened to that green thing he used to play kissee face with in the evenings. Rudy the talking bird no longer says "shut up Maglite".

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
While in a pet store recently I passed by a bird that was bobbing its head back and forth like it was at a Metalica concert. I said to Mrs Fixer "that's pretty cool, what kind of bird is that?" She replied "the thousand dollar kind". I said "never mind" lol. "Rock on dude".

It dawned on me Friday I am nowcofficially used to not having Maglite fly across the room and bite me on the ear when I arrive home. Kinda sad in a way, that our intruder alert, danger to a stranger burglar alarm is now in birdee heaven. For the first couple of weeks I'd still peer about looking for the direction he was going to attack me from while pulling off my work boots.

Some days he'd land on my shoulder and be all like "hey man how was your day?" Other days it was "I really it when you're late and don't give me my 5:00 cracker" CHOMP to the ear.

Meanwhile there are still times when Tralfaz the dog will sit across the room staring at Maglite's cage as if he wonders whatever happened to that green thing he used to play kissee face with in the evenings. Rudy the talking bird no longer says "shut up Maglite".
What kind of bird is Rudy?

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Certainly there must be ways to connect with birds who need homes, if you all are looking to get another.
Both Maglite and Rudy were rescues.
Often time a bird that lives a long time like those exotic birds end up out living family and the inherit-ee either doesn't want it or can't handle it.
What kind of bird is Rudy?
African gray parrot.

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
Both Maglite and Rudy were rescues.
Often time a bird that lives a long time like those exotic birds end up out living family and the inherit-ee either doesn't want it or can't handle it.

African gray parrot.
Thank you for rescuing them. I'm not surprised that it's an African Grey. Those birds are scary smart.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
They say the African gray has the cognitive ability of a 7 year old human. Yet the ability to mimic sounds is just a small part of their intelligence. Rudy visually recongnizes situations and responds with sounds accordingly. It's amazing.

I'm thinking hamster next because they only live a couple of years. I had one once who ran around my apartment in an orb. He'd meet me at the door when I got home and follow me to the door when I'd leave. After sundown he'd happily go back inside his habitrail and run on his wheel. But I'm afraid young Tralfaz might want to play doggy soccer with the orb so we may wait for him to mature a couple more years.

aginthelaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
reminds me of the one at our local zoo when i was a kid. He kept saying to my brother "I won't bite. I won't bite " my brother stuck his finger in the cage and he bit him. I gave it a cracker.

We had a cockatiel for years. The day my wife went into labor, he wouldn't go back in his cage. He hated me. He would attack when I gave him food. He would attack when I cleaned his cage. He attacked when I let him out. I came home from work brushed my teeth and heard something behind me. There was shermie. I laid down in bed to catch a nap before my wife was ready to go to the hospital. He walked into the bedroom and jumped onto my big toe. We both took pictures because it was so unlike him. We went to the hospital. My son was born after 20 hours of labor. I went home and found shermie dead on the floor. We weren't sad. It's as if he was saying goodbye and making room for the new addition to the family. I think he was 7 years old

Last edited:

bykfixer

Flashaholic
90C01AD5-B48B-4DDE-92E2-1141F1A4EC71.jpeg

Speaking of cockatiels...
Welcome aboard Sunshine.
We just rescued a 3 year old hand tamed one from a lady who just didn't have time to hang out with this very sociable breed of bird. She took to her new surroundings quickly.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
So far new bird likes it here. I opened the cage door and she took off with Tralfaz leaping up in the air trying to catch her. New dog Chyna is a 7# peek-a-poo who was also all excited about the flying scoobie snack. So new bird flies in an erratic circle and as it got smaller she aimed for my head.

D1DAC1D8-4014-4FED-9094-DCF814380F35.jpeg

Perfect landing.

Then off to another erratic circular flight with two dogs leaping up trying to catch her and she landed on Mrs Fixer's head. Then same thing and back to my head. Ok, enough drama for one day. Back to your new condo new bird. She seemed ok with that.

Sorry to steal your thread Maglite. You are still missed.

knucklegary

Flashlight Enthusiast
Do you think this peach faced condor knows where the lay-out of walls and glass windows are situated?

Probably goes without saying, do you have stickers on glass, and sliding patio doors?

In case cockadoo gets a wild feather and heads outside through a glass pane while trying to escape Tralfaz jaws.. Just saying 🤞

bykfixer

Flashaholic
1) no, it just arrived and it was after sundown when she was flying around like a wounded helicopter.

2) no unprotected glass in our home as all windows and doors have privacy sheer curtains over them.

Today she flew from room A to room B to land on my head. Her flight pattern was well above Tralfaz range until the perfect landing on my head
5D2F1F6E-C4CE-4F0F-A8F7-8CBA095F0826.jpeg

Meanwhile the Tral is certainly curious about the flying toy

Last edited:

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
1) no, it just arrived and it was after sundown when she was flying around like a wounded helicopter.

2) no unprotected glass in our home as all windows and doors have privacy sheer curtains over them.

Today she flew from room A to room B to land on my head. Her flight pattern was well above Tralfaz range until the perfect landing on my headView attachment 42132
Meanwhile the Tral is certainly curious about the flying toy
That doggo has a look of "What the heck is THAT? Is it a threat to my human?"

bykfixer

Flashaholic
This might be a stupid question, and some call me knucklehead, but how do you tell it's a girl cockatiel from a male? :twak:

...Tralfaz is thinking that's the weirdest lookin chicken he's seen yet
This one, if I'm correct is a Lutino breed. A cross between two wild varieties from Australlia done by some American dude in the 1950's in Florida. It may be a Pied Lutino. I don't know enough to tell one way or the other.

But apparently these hybrids have way more females born than males.

They say behavior is one way to tell but it seems that's about 75/25% predictable. Males tend to be more show off like as part of the 'attract a mate' ritual.

Some kind of flight bars exist on its tail feathers if it is female. This one so far has been shy about that.

The shape of the pelvis and lastly the ole DNA test.

Last edited:

Got Lumens?

Flashlight Enthusiast
We had a Blue & Gold Macaw we surely thought was a male unitil she laid eggs around ten years plus on age. Sadly we lost her @~15 Years Old due to Harrison's food toxic ingredients fed to her up til age of four, which were unaware of. They have since rectified the pathogen ingredient :(. We raised her from a 15 week old chick from a local breeder, she left our Grey whom still misses her, and asks where she is. We have found an Illiger's baby companion, both are doing well. It is still hard to hear our Gray call her name and asking where she is. Bird's s require a caretaker that is knowledgeable and has experience unlike any other animal taken under your wing and home.