Ronson Windlite disassembly help

cy

Flashaholic
thanks, will be rooting around Kmart and Ace for a calico. already torn apart several disosable lighter with no luck on correct sizing.

eluminator

Flashlight Enthusiast
I had to check all the unused checkout aisles at Kmart. They were there, near the Ronson butane. You get a package of 3 for $1.79.

Calicolighters007e.jpg

This isn't helping me much though. I see two problems with the Windlite. It seems the inlet valve (fill valve) is impossible to disassemble. So if it's leaking, you are up the creek. The inlet valve on my almost new Woodbridge model leaks, so I replaced it with the one from my old, well used, Windlite.

The other problem I have with the Windlites is the difficulty replacing the rubber on the tip of the tube or rod. It couldn't have been designed worse. If you want to see how the rubber tipped tube should be designed, take a look at the Calico.

eluminator

Flashlight Enthusiast
I can now refill the Windlite without leaking butane. I slip about ¾ inch of small rubber hose over the nozzle of the butane can. A little water as a lubricant helps. I use windshield washer hose for my '94 Plymouth. It has a thinner wall than some windshield washer hose.

fill3_smaller.jpg

fill2_smaller.jpg

eluminator

Flashlight Enthusiast
I fixed my "Woodbridge NJ" model Windlite. No more leaks. The problem with the Windlites is it's almost impossible to mount the rubber on the end of the rod.

The Calico disposable lighter has a tube that's easy to mount the rubber tip to. Fortunately the lower end of the Calico tube, where the rubber is, has the same diameter as the rod in the "Woodbridge" Windlite. So I used the Calico tube in the Windlite.

The upper portion of the Calico tube has a bigger diameter but I found I could turn it down with a makeshift lathe. I put the lower end of the tube in a drill chuck. I had to tighten it carefully so the end wouldn't be crushed. I mounted a file in a small vise, held the drill in my hands, and ground the tube down. If I had a way to mount the drill, I could have done it that way, by holding the file in my hand.

High precision is not required here. It's only necessary that the upper part of the tube passes easily through the adjusting nut.

The Calico tube is shorter than the Windlite rod. I expected I would have to extend it, but I didn't need to.

The Calico tube can't be used in my "int' nat'l pat's" model because that rod has a smaller diameter.

rod1.jpg

From left to right:
1: Original Calico tube.
2: Calico tube turned down for use in the "Woodbridge" Windlite.
3: Original "Woodbridge" rod.
4: Rod from the "int' nat'l pat's" valve showing the smaller diameter.

eluminator

Flashlight Enthusiast
I finally figured out how to fix the rubber tip on the old "int' nat'l pat's" outlet valve. That's the one that has the thin brass tube.

The rubber tip from the Calico would do the job but the hole in the end of the tube was too shallow. So I drilled it deeper. Now the Calico tip slips right in and gives a good seal.

Ideally you would want to use a drill that makes a snug hole so the rubber tip won't fall out when you disassemble it. I'm not sure of the drill size, but it's somewhere around a #57. I wouldn't drill it too deeply. It's probably best that the rubber bottoms out in the hole rather than depending on the "flange" to keep it from going in too far.

After the rubber is inserted, the "flange" around the top has too large a diameter, but it is easily trimmed down with a razor blade so it's diameter is no bigger than the brass tube.

Last edited: