Rovyvon S21... Is the quality comparable to a Fenix?

Philip A.

Newly Enlightened
I saw the features of the Rovyvon S21, which is a good contender for the Fenix PD40R V3 - on paper. Prices are in the same ballpark, so the question is... How does the Rovyvon stand against the Fenix, quality-wise?

ilikeguns40

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm not a fan of either, but I'll give you my input. Between the two, I would go with Fenix. Coworker of mine has the rovyvon s21 and the switch is horrible, there's a dedicated strobe feature which I think is pointless and a waste of a good spot for a better dedicated output level instead. He's always screwing up how it turns on because of that switch

Philip A.

Newly Enlightened
I'm not a fan of either, but I'll give you my input. Between the two, I would go with Fenix. Coworker of mine has the rovyvon s21 and the switch is horrible, there's a dedicated strobe feature which I think is pointless and a waste of a good spot for a better dedicated output level instead. He's always screwing up how it turns on because of that switch
Thanks for the info! I have no problem with the strobe, I actually had to use strobe a couple of times in real life, and find that useful if you have direct access to it. What is the problem with the switch, and how can that be screwed up when turning on? Is it not a "last mode memory" affair, just coming on where you left it? Then you change mode with the clicky?

ilikeguns40

Flashlight Enthusiast
I didn't really mess around with it too much to really see all the features, I just know I was not a huge fan of the switch, you however may really enjoy it

Guitar Guy

Enlightened
For what it's worth, I have zero experience with Rovyvon, but I do have 10 Fenix lights, and to this point their quality, durability, and maybe most importantly, their customer service, have all been excellent.

Philip A.

Newly Enlightened
For what it's worth, I have zero experience with Rovyvon, but I do have 10 Fenix lights, and to this point their quality, durability, and maybe most importantly, their customer service, have all been excellent.
I've had several Fenix over ten years and more, used every day in the African bush, and they're top notch lights. Rovyvon is an unknown quantity... That's why I was asking.

vicv

Flashlight Enthusiast
Is fenix the standard? Not knocking them I've just never heard someone use them as the bar for quality. Always thought they were kinda……overblown lumens thermal shutdown kind of lights

Philip A.

Newly Enlightened
Is fenix the standard? Not knocking them I've just never heard someone use them as the bar for quality. Always thought they were kinda……overblown lumens thermal shutdown kind of lights

1699912341267.jpeg

This one has been with me every day for 8 years or so: 100-120 days per year out in the bush, hunting, chasing poachers, breaking things and fixing things, and the rest of the time always at hand - in the pocket, in the glove box, on the tablestand, used almost every single day. You can see that the rubber switch is basically worn smooth. It has fallen in rivers, on rocks, from a moving car, on concrete, you name it...

I changed the battery once. I used it while chasing hippos, buffalos, or lions on foot at night, I basically bet my bacon on this light - more than once.

I don't really know what one in the city can contrive as "Quality Tests", but as far as I'm concerned, I'm tolerably satisfied with Fenix's quality... Will buy again.

Last edited:

vicv

Flashlight Enthusiast
View attachment 52336

This one has been with me every day for 8 years or so: 100-120 days per year out in the bush, hunting, chasing poachers, breaking things and fixing things, and the rest of the time always at hand - in the pocket, in the glove box, on the tablestand, used almost every single day. You can see that the rubber switch is basically worn smooth. It has fallen in rivers, on rocks, from a moving car, on concrete, you name it...

I changed the battery once. I used it while chasing hippos, buffalos, or lions on foot at night, I basically bet my bacon on this light - more than once.

I don't really know what one in the city can contrive as "Quality Tests", but as far as I'm concerned, I'm tolerably satisfied with Fenix's quality... Will buy again.
You've only changed the battery once, Mr Quatermain? That's a good battery. I haven't lived your impressive life, but I'm not sure where you got the idea I was some wet behind the ears city slicker

Philip A.

Newly Enlightened
You've only changed the battery once, Mr Quatermain? That's a good battery. I haven't lived your impressive life, but I'm not sure where you got the idea I was some wet behind the ears city slicker
I didn't mean you were a city slicker, but a large part of the flashlight uboxing/test/reviews online are shot in the middle of town, by people who seem to own 150 "preferred lights", and full drawers of "not so amazing lights"... Not sure how they can tell which one lasts the course.

As for the Quatermain bit... Part of my job is to kill stuff that has killed people, often at night, and whatever tools I use, I make darn sure that they work every single time I need them. Having used a whole bunch of lights over the years, I put Fenix in the top tier. That some hand-rolled, triple-filtered, vitamin-enriched semi-custom jewels are "better" (for 2-3 times the price...), I'll give you that... But this doesn't make them any more useful to me. After all, one can't beat "never failed to turn on" and "took all the crap thrown its way".

Last edited:

Guitar Guy

Enlightened
Having used a whole bunch of lights over the years, I put Fenix in the top tier.
Of the Chinese made lights, I would rate Fenix amongst the top, for the reasons I mentioned earlier. I have not tried all brands, but have tried quite a few of the popular ones, and like my Fenixes the best.

If you're staking your life & job on your light, and really want to move up the ladder in quality, ruggedness, and dependability, look to Malkoff Devices - made in USA, lifetime warranty, built like a tank, and worth every cent. The electronics are full potted to withstand the roughest of conditions. I think I read where law enforcement and military make up 70% of his customers.

It's a family owned & operated business with the BEST customer service around. They have a big following here on the forum and I don't think I've ever seen a bad review. Gene will talk to you on the phone or by email personally about your wants and needs.

I personally have 2 Malkoffs, a Hound Dog with MD4 body, and a MDC2AA, and they are truly above & beyond the Asian made lights. A Hound Dog could well suit your needs. Look into them, you will not regret it.

Best of luck.

vicv

Flashlight Enthusiast
I didn't mean you were a city slicker, but a large part of the flashlight uboxing/test/reviews online are shot in the middle of town, by people who seem to own 150 "preferred lights", and full drawers of "not so amazing lights"... Not sure how they can tell which one lasts the course.

As for the Quatermain bit... Part of my job is to kill stuff that has killed people, often at night, and whatever tools I use, I make darn sure that they work every single time I need them. Having used a whole bunch of lights over the years, I put Fenix in the top tier. That some hand-rolled, triple-filtered, vitamin-enriched semi-custom jewels are "better" (for 2-3 times the price...), I'll give you that... But this doesn't make them any more useful to me. After all, one can't beat "never failed to turn on" and "took all the crap thrown its way".
I was only having a bit of fun. Allen Quatermain is awesome I love his character. Ya I'll admit, I have no real "need" for my lights. Besides walking the dogs and avoiding stepping in excrement. Honestly not even sure why I like flashlights 🤷‍♂️. But I also appreciate robustness. Why I mostly have surefire, streamlight, or maglite. Glad to hear fenix is the way to go. Maybe I'll see about a used model some time. Seems hard to find any modern led light that doesn't step down from turbo after 12 seconds so new is out of the question

Monocrom

Flashaholic
No contest, Fenix.
Also, look at the clip design on that Rovyvon model.
I'm very familiar with it. Cheap .85 cent clip.
Sold through AliExpress. The wrap-around portion, far too fragile.
Breaks too easily due to how thin the wrap-around portion is.
On a $25.oo Sofirn or Convoy, not a big deal.
On a Rovyvon retailing for $110.oo, why the Hell is it on there!?
Makes zero sense on a so-called quality flashlight over $100.oo.