RRT3 vs TM11

HIDC

Banned
I'm thinking the same thing. I'm torn to see whether to carry the RRT-3 or TM11. The former seems to be a "real" light versus the latter being a toy... akin to the new RRT-0 XM-L vs PC10. The TM11 and RRT-0 XM-L seem to be more like small party pieces to show off their awesome powers (under 10 minutes). The draw for the RRT-3 is the low it offers. The draw for the TM11 is the very small form factor.

On that reasoning it appears pretty clear. The biggest hit against the RRT-3 is the significantly higher price.

Now having said that, I just opened up a TK35 to replace a bigger 24w HID light. I might take the TM11 over the TK35.

My 2 cents:

Want to impress... TM11, RRT-0 XM-L
To be practical... RRT-3, RRT-0 XP-G (or really, any other than XM-L)

Anyone think the same?

peterharvey73

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have the reverse opinion.
[Absolutely no offense though].

At first, the budget Jb PC10 XM-L seems great value for money because it outputs the same 550 lumens as its bigger brother RRT-0 XM-L.
However, when we examine more closely, we find that the budget PC10 with its smaller 22.5mm bezel diameter, and hence smaller reflector will only throw a claimed 131 meters ANSI FL-1.
On the otherhand, the bigger brother RRT-0 XM-L with its bigger 25.4mm bezel diameter, hence slightly larger reflector, will throw a claimed 150 meters ANSI FL-1.
For small pocket-sized flashlights like these, that extra throw could be crucial, depending on personal tastes.
On a rechargeable 16340, the PC10 only has something like 2 levels of brightness adjustment, whereas the RRT-0 has infinitely variable adjustment.
But then, we could always say the PC10 is floodier, so therefore more practical, but only 2 brightness modes does make it difficult to use out of bed at 2 am in the morning???

I was emptying the swimming pool with my wife a few weeks ago, at night.
She had the TM.
I had my RRT-3 SST-50.
The TM11 lit the whole backyard up!

Selfbuilt has tested the TM11 to throw 286 meters ANSI- FL-1.
My RRT-3 SST-50 is the old SST-50 emitter.
However, that SST-50 emitter is no slouch for throw!
It has 1200 emitter lumens [about 850 lumens OTF] and a big 63mm bezel diameter for a big reflector.
Selfbuilt has never independently tested the RRT-3 SST-50.
However, Selfbuilt has tested the Olight M31 800 lumens OTF with a 63mm bezel diameter throwing a lusty 385 meters ANSI FL-1.
The old RRT-3 SST-50 with roughly 850 lumens OTF and the same 63mm diameter bezel, would roughly guestimate throw the same, or fractionally further than the Olight M31 SST-50 as tested by Selfbuilt.

In the backyard, the practicality of a wide surface area of illumination is so useful.
It is the throwy light that is impractical, and more of a pose?
The large throwy lights with limited sidespill are the biggest posers.

The RRT-3 Triple XM-L's relatively deeper reflectors, and more closely spaced emitters, will deliver greater throw than the TM11, at the expense of lateral sidespill and surface area of coverage.
The RRT-3 Triple XM-L in question here provides a combination and balance of flood and throw - throwing 346 meters ANSI FL-1 standards.
The RRT-3 Triple XM-L's beam characteristics is in between the TM11 and one of the big pure throwers like the old RRT-3 SST-50, or the modern day Catapult V3, Eagletac M3C4 2x18650 in-parallel, M3X in-line, SR51 in-parallel, T40CS, and Crelant 7G5.
The RRT-3 Triple XM-L is for someone who wants neither pure practical flooding - nor pure throw pose for that matter.

So, just a different opinion, from a different angle - that's all...

Last edited:

HIDC

Banned
No offense indeed. Your reply takes into consideration the throw vs flood which is a big deciding factor as well. On that note, I still love my MC-E light just for that reason. Inside and around the house, the MC-E throw is much more practical. I've ordered a few RRT-0 XM-L and TM11 plus one PC10. Didn't bother with the RRT-3 just because of the price -- at that rate, I'd really rather whip out the 24/35w mode HID.

To be really sure where I stand with lights (performance vs practicality), I have been debating the EZnite 10w HID for the longest time but I haven't been able to stomach the retail price. I'd sooner get that than the RRT-3 :)

There's just too many dimensions to consider to be able to make a solid recommendation. It's kinda like the "what lens is best for me" DSLR discussions.

peterharvey73

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yes, the old MC-E is a very practical emitter.

There is a new Xstar S1 available.
It is also 3x18650 in-parallel, also has triple XM-L's, is a whopping 800+ grams, has a massive 83mm bezel diameter for a great 470 meters of throw, and an estimated 1900 lumens overall for decent flooding, [though it won't spill as wide as an RRT-3 XM-L] - all for some $200...

HIDC

Banned
Eh? XTAR? The same folks that make the WP6 charger I like. That light is pretty big and really ugly (in my humble opinion) compared to both Jetbeam offerings...

EDIT: Now having said that, the S1 looks like a true HID replacement. If the MSRP is $200 then the wholesale shouldn't be all that bad. A twice as long 35w HID light is about $129 MSRP but likewise... twice as long because of the battery pack. Ah, why did you have to put ideas in my head! Digressing...

EDIT 2: I really wish I hadn't jumped into this convo, now I've got the S1 on the shortlist to get in a week after reading selfbuilt's review on the proto! :|

Yes, the old MC-E is a very practical emitter.

There is a new Xstar S1 available.
It is also 3x18650 in-parallel, also has triple XM-L's, is a whopping 800+ grams, has a massive 83mm bezel diameter for a great 470 meters of throw, and an estimated 1900 lumens overall for decent flooding, [though it won't spill as wide as an RRT-3 XM-L] - all for some $200...

Last edited:

peterharvey73

Flashlight Enthusiast
This Xtar S1 800+ grams with a massive 83mm bezel running the same 3x18650 triple XM-L with 470 meters of throw, is a brute of a light!
This Xtar matches or even out-throws the famous single XM-L pure throwers, by being oversized; yet the Xtar is not genuinely oversized like the 6x18650 Olight SR92 Triple XM-L and its 100mm bezel diameter.

The Xtar focuses on throw, while compromising spill - obvious in Selfbuilt's comparison shots with the TM11.
It's a pity there are no simple numbers [like lux for throw] to describe the lateral spill, or the lateral surface area of illumination of flashlights.
Lumens is half useful, but not 100% useful, because lumens describes the total power, or the total volume of light; lumens is a product of lux and surface area, and takes into consideration both the lux and the spill surface area of illumination.
I guess still the only way to judge lateral spill is to look at wall shots.

However, back to the RRT-3, the Xtar further reinforces the fact that the RRT-3 3x18650 Triple XM-L is a middle man.
No longer is the RRT-3 Triple the biggest and heaviest 3x18650 light with the best throw.
Now, the RRT-3 Triple is more like a gentleman...

Last edited:

TEEJ

Flashaholic
So I have something that I have been thinking about for about a week now and after much contemplation I decided to ask the opinion of you flashaholics. Im looking for a light for camping/extended periods of darkness. What Im looking for is something that is in the 2k lumens range, uses multiple 18650s(looking for run time), has a good combination of spill and throw, I do not have to worry about frying because of heat.

The 2 lights that have come to mind off the bat was the 3 XM-L jetbeam RRT3 and the nitecore TM11. I have went back and forth over the pros and cons of these. I even watched a few videos comparing the 2.

The TM11 is smaller, holds one more battery than the RRT3 so I SHOULD see longer run times and is a few lumens brighter.

The RRT3 is a bit longer but this is due to the deeper reflector that gives quite a bit more throw. It is also $70 more than the TM11.

What do you guys think comparing the 2? Is the smaller design, larger battery capacity and little higher lumens rating enough to give up the throw advantage the RRT has over the TM?

Now lets throw a bigger wrench into the equation. Would I be better off in any way by building a multi emitter light out of either a Mag or maybe a SF M6?
Remember, the name of the game for this build is really run time. If I can get 2k to 2.5k lumens for about 1.5 hours total That would be great. Size and weight are not an issue within reason.

Am I dreaming with these parameters?

For camping, you rarely need much throw. Extended periods of darkness are what lanterns are better at at the campsite. Walking to the "rest facility" doesn't require a lot of light, especially if others might be sleeping, and "Close Encounters" type glow might wake them up, etc. If you have overwhelming brightness, if makes it so you can't see as far into the rest of the night that surrounds you, you are visually "trapped in the beam". A soft wide glow so you can see where you're going is typically a lot more useful.

If where you are camping has lines of sight more than 30-50 yards, that's unusual too. Typically, trails curve and meander, there are flora in the way, etc. If you need to blind fauna (A grizzly, etc...) 200 lumens hitting them in the eyes when they're night vision adjusted is more than enough to send them on their way.

A flood pattern is usually more useful than a tight spot. Think about what you probably will need to SEE at night when camping. How far away will it probably be? Is there a need or a line of sight to see something 400 yards away?

When you throttle down the sexy wall of photons to what you probably will actually find useful rather than exciting, you also get your run times waaay up, as the same battery can now drain more slowly.

TRK

Newly Enlightened
The RRT-3 Triple XM-L is for someone who wants neither pure practical flooding - nor pure throw pose for that matter.

So, just a different opinion, from a different angle - that's all...

I think your opinion is interesting but I have found this not to be the case in my opinion. I received my new RRT-3 XM-L over the holidays and got a chance to really put it to use. I have pure throwers like the original RRT-1 R2 and some pure flooders like the Spark S6 CW800 XM-L. The thing that is great about the RRT-3 XM-L is that it will light up an entire area with great side spill and has an amazing "corona" spill so the hotspot appears huge. In addition, while walking in our nearby park at night, I could easily light up entire trees several hundred yards away. So for me, it is a perfect light that serves both as a practical floodlight and as a medium distance thrower. It is my new "go to" light for walks in the park at night.

louiec

Newly Enlightened
I have both and they each serve their own purpose... the RRT definitely throws a bit farther but the TM11 really does flood everything. I think that if I had to take just one, it would be the RRT3... just because it is a bit larger, it dissipates heat better and will punch light out a bit farther. All of that being said, you can't go wrong with either one of these.

xed888

Enlightened
For all those with the RRT3, could you please chime in about beam tint? As in is it green or warm or cool? Ringy pattern? Thanks!

peterharvey73

Flashlight Enthusiast
The RRT-3 Triple XM-L is neutral-ish, if I'm not wong.
Up close, heaps of rings, but in the distance, you don't notice - seems fine...

RCLumens

Enlightened
I'd say mine is neutral to cool... Definitely a 'white' light. As for rings, you can see the profile of them via the different brightness from the center on out. Sometimes I find this useful when trying to cast
light while not blinding a situation if I need to go from far to close illumination.

TRK

Newly Enlightened
I would agree with the others that mine is neutral to cool white. I was also very concerned about rings in the beam pattern before I purchased mine but thankfully I have hardly noticed any rings in my beam pattern at all. Overall, I am very happy with this light and happy that it puts out a lot of light. I wanted a light that would light up my entire back yard and that is what I got and more. Also, no issues with the light dropping out of the highest setting after having it on for 20 minutes.

Sigmasailor

Newly Enlightened
Does the RRT3 have issues like the TM11? I ordered a TM11 last week and it's back to the supplier since it started flickering after about 10 minutes of use and completely died shortly after that; I never got to try it in the dark. Reading this I might get myself a RRT3 instead? What's your opinion: wait for a new TM11 or change to the RRT3? Does Nitecore read this forum; I would expect so. I would also expect some assurance that they have their QC under control; my supplier is waiting for a new batch of TM11's and I would hate it if I get another defective light.

380long

Newly Enlightened
No problems with my RRT3 at all and I use it everyday...could not be happier with this light.

TRK

Newly Enlightened
As stated earlier in this thread, I am very happy with my RRT3 XML and have had no issues or problems with it. I had mine on turbo for about 20min (outside in cooler temperatures) without any flickering or dropping to a lower setting. It did get pretty warm but I was still able to hold on to it with my hand (in fact it served as a nice hand warmer in these cooler winter temps!). I had also been debating between the TM11 and the RRT3 XML and chose to go with the RRT3 as I thought it would handle the turbo mode for a longer period of time and I really prefered the ring selector over the single button of the TM11 (my opinion). And while the RRT3 is a larger light than the TM11, it is still much smaller compared to the TK70 or the SR92 (both great lights but very large). In fact, I think the RRT3 XML, for a triple XML light, is the perfect size, for me, as it is easy to hold and switch modes while wearing gloves (less of an issue in warmer weather).

Sigmasailor

Newly Enlightened
Since I've seen them side by side I have decided to wait it out and have another go with the Tiny Monster.