RUGER LCP Safety Recall

Lee1959

Flashlight Enthusiast
If I had the Ruger and it was functioning reliably, I wouldn't return it.

Not saying I disagree, I might not either, but if someone does not they must be sure to understand the inherent possible risk in such a choice.

IF you did not get the fix + IF you ever had to use the firearm in a self defensive situation + IF either the prosecutor, or the person you shot's (or families)lawyer (as you can almost count on being sued) can prove you knew the firearm you used was "defective" by knowingly bypassing the recall = putting your freedom IE. prison or finances in great jeopardy.

Not saying it would happen, but it is one of those perverse possiblities one must understand before making that choice. And you can bet that someone would be keeping records as to who bought them vs. who had them fixed.

Last edited:

BIGIRON

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you have to shoot somebody, you've got waaay more problems than whether or not your pistola was recalled.

That being said, I don't disagree with you.

Some think that's the reason Federal renamed some of their "HydroShok" rounds "Personal Defense".

NA8

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wow, Hydro-Shocks were renamed ? I think I still have a box of Black Talons around here somewhere.

How's the LCP compared to the SIG SAUER P230 ?

I shot a 230 once at the gun range, but I haven't seen a LCP yet. Oh, I see the picture now, that LCP's pretty small.

Last edited:

BIGIRON

Flashlight Enthusiast
Apples and oranges as far as the LCP/KT and 230 are concerned. 230 is larger, all metal, expensive, high quality piece - not an easily carried pocket pistol - more suited to belt pouch or IWB carry. The LCP/KT is small, relatively inexpensive and very well suited to pocket carry.

I think Federal still sells the HydroShoks. I believe they're just selling some of them as "Personal Defense" as a marketing and legal move.

Last edited:

JasonC8301

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'll see if I can go into the shop tonight and get the P230 (or the later P232) and LCP side by side.

Lee1959

Flashlight Enthusiast
My wife has a 4 inch Taurus 66 .357 on her side of the bed, and she carries either a Bersa .380 or her Kel-Tec PT3AT.

I carry my PT3AT constantly in my pocket, and usually either a SP101 or Makarov on my hip.

I shot the PT3AT and a friends LCP side by side at our range and there was not a lot to choose between them they were so similar. They are both defintly cheap, especially the Kel-Tec, pocket protection which are big on performance. They can definitly be carried anywhere as I swear they could be hidden in a jock strap if you had to.

Last edited:

Unicorn

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you have to shoot somebody, you've got waaay more problems than whether or not your pistola was recalled.

That being said, I don't disagree with you.

Some think that's the reason Federal renamed some of their "HydroShok" rounds "Personal Defense".

They never renamed them. The Personal Defense loadings are still called Hydrashocks, that are supposed to be lighter and faster than the traditional weight of that particular caliber. The name is pure marketing, not lawyer proofing. They didn't develop them with the FBI protocal in mind, and market them for personal self defense. Nothing more. Kind of like Hornady's newest loading that is being marketed for the self defense buyer.

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic
A little off topic, but now that the Hydrashock round has been brought up, I have some of the first Hydrashock bullets made by the original designer (I forget his name). They are swaged lead hollow wadcutters, with the post in the center. I have to dig them out, and also find a another variation of the Hydrashock, also pre-Federal.

Bill

NA8

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'd love to see some pix of those old pre-Federal hydra shock designs. IIRC, Federal's first hydra shocks were a little wide mouthed (I'm thinking the .45's here) and they released a better shaped version with improved feeding characteristics. I'll have to check and see if I still have any of the fat one's.

Last edited:

BIGIRON

Flashlight Enthusiast
I had some of the first ones that would not feed reliably in my Commander which has a good ramp job. IIRC they made good ashtrays!

NA8

Flashlight Enthusiast
Send them to me. Flying ash trays are ok with me, I've got a Smith & Wesson 625 revolver that takes .45 ACP with moon clips. ;)

Last edited: