Ryobi 35W, 18V HID

NoFair

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Are Ryobi One+ 18V HID Lamps any good?

Anybody seen these in Europe (Norway)?

Seems tempting since I have quite a bit of One+

BillSJCA

Newly Enlightened
I just saw and on inpulse bought one, $49
have chargers and several batteries already. sorry will do my best to review his but limited lights of this style.
still on my first one got the ;ion battery band charger charger came with the smaller lion battery. light is still going strong. only get sporadic use lion pack makes it a light weight package.
would prefer a tighter beam. but light volume is good

DutchR

Newly Enlightened
I still like it for its cheap price, and decent output.

but i just built a HID hand held spotlight that absolutely SMOKES the light output of the Ryobi. i mean 5-6 times the power :D
so this is now a back up to the bat-light i just built lol

Patriot

Flashaholic

I have one, but want to pencil the beam to as small as possible. I use it to hunt, and need the light to focus the light as far as possible, and to try and not have any washout around the light. I am a light n00b, so any help is appreciated.

They are pre-focused but you might be able to fine tune the hot spot by adding thin washers between the bulb base and the reflector. It will either have the effect of making the center brighter or causing a doughnut hole in the beam. Either way, it's not going to be a dramatic difference. You'll just have to eyeball it while shinning the at a wall if you don't have a light meter.

Norm

Retired Administrator

I really like mine, one big improvement would be a higher quality reflector, it's a shame when everything else about the light seems to be reasonable quality, that they didn't see fit to spend a bit more on the reflector.

Norm

Kremer

Enlightened

Can anyone recommend a replacement 4200k bulb for these yet?

Lips

Flashlight Enthusiast

Can anyone recommend a replacement 4200k bulb for these yet?

Not sure what it is H3 ? Ebay...

Home Depot has the new P108 battery with fuel gauge (10 x 18650, P122) on sale for 2 for 1 $99 while supplies last... Very good battery (some early ones were recalled).

$49.50 each for 10 high-amp draw 18650's. These should be able to handle a more powerful ballast easily.

Last edited:

hstansel

Newly Enlightened
I bought a P-716 for night hunting and quickly discovered the light was so bright it scared the game off. The light beam was also way too wide. I can live with the wide beam but not the bright white light. Has anyone know of a green or red filter that will fit this light?

idleprocess

Flashaholic
I bought a P-716 for night hunting and quickly discovered the light was so bright it scared the game off. The light beam was also way too wide. I can live with the wide beam but not the bright white light. Has anyone know of a green or red filter that will fit this light?
If you find one, you might want said filter to be made from glass - there's no small amount of heat being put out by this thing.

Chrontius

Flashlight Enthusiast

Pardon the necromancy, but I just found this two days ago: http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:75963

You could put your filter gel (or glass) in there without much problem. Gels made for theatre lights should be able to handle the heat flux; they were formulated for many hundred watts of incandescent light, were they not?

PS, mine's still going strong, though I probably don't have that many hours on it.

My garage looks a little like a Ryobi catalog, now; they're up to what - four or five generations of electrically and mechanically compatible batteries now? Black & Decker disavowed my old drill years ago, at this point, and have come out with three incompatible battery systems since I bought this light. #NoRegrets

These days, I also recommend their hybrid LED worklight, too - there are plenty of brighter lights, but a 20 watt COB LED with a 72 watt hour battery makes for an awfully practical package, when it comes to fixing something where the sun don't shine. And if 3.6 hours isn't enough, you can always just hook up an extension cord. My only regret is that I don't yet own two of them.

ms1496

Newly Enlightened
Just picked one up last week and noticed they updated it with a 4300K bulb... Color temp is just right if you were wanting one with a more neutral tint.

staticx57

Flashlight Enthusiast
I wonder if there is any way to tell the difference between the older cold white and the better 4300k models.

ms1496

Newly Enlightened
The one that I purchased has a brown ceramic return wire cover, the previous model had a blue one. If you find it with a brown one you should have the latest model. For the money its a hell of a deal.

staticx57

Flashlight Enthusiast
Interesting, my old one has the blue wire. Now I need to convince myself I need a second one :shakehead