Sad day: SPY007 XM-L MIA FOUND IT!

ShineOnYouCrazyDiamond

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Sad day: SPY007 XM-L MIA

I'm bummed to hear of your loss. Your OP is amazingly casual for the light you lost - I would have been near psychotic looking for a lost Spy. While I generally never EDC a Spy outside of the house because of the lack of clip - I do carry more expensive custom lights with great pocket clips. I've had a few instances where I thought I lost a light and the moments of searching felt like I had lost my best friend.

I wonder if anyone who found a Spy and had no clue about it would even figure out how to get the battery cover off? It's not particularly obvious.

Launch Mini

Flashlight Enthusiast

I have an very odd way of thinking about "things".
I put "enjoyment units" ( redneck economics ) into whatever I buy.
So, for example, a SPY might cost $1,000 ( not really, but good for my example). I could have spent a few extra nights in a hotel on holidays, bought a XXX or invite some friends for a week at the cabin, or use the SPY for say a year.
If at the end of that time, I don't fret too much if it's gone. Yeah it hurts, but I consumed those enjoyment units.
I have had this light for quite a while, it's been good to me, it sucks it's gone, but I did look for it, scoured the car after work, emailed the restaurant I thought it might be at...

The thing that bugs me the most, is I was going to leave this with my daughter and her boyfriend to use at their new place we dropped them off at. He likes the gadgets I buy. I've given him a cool yo-yo, a Droid ( another Cool Fall item), knives, a Surefire, a Lummi Wee on each of their keychains,...

I have enough stresses in my life, so I can't afford to stress too much about the loss.
Thanks for all your good wishes.

stingray3

Enlightened

Sorry to hear that. I would be traumatized to lose a coolfall. Kudos to you Dave for your kind gesture. Your customer care is top notch!

sledhead

Flashlight Enthusiast

Bummer for sure....you have a great outlook on it though. Lost my 1st Spy for 6 weeks if I remember right....found it inside a slipper in the closet. Wife hung up my pants and it fell in the slipper! I felt ill for quite a while it was lost. Hopefully yours will find its way home, keep the faith. Maybe a road trip to retrace your steps?

Several good ideas have come from this thread though. Insurance rider, name on batteries or sleeve...I'm looking for a clip-on tether that has kevlar thread.

Rudi

Enlightened

Many of you may have joined CPF too recently to remember the so-called Larry-lights. There are collectors that would pay a fortune for a Larry-light today. I used to EDC one and lost it. I always felt that Larry (that is Larry Black, a.k.a. tvodrd) would have been proud of me for losing it while using it rather than just stashing it away as a shelf queen. Eventually losing a valuable item is an inevitable hazzard of using it. Pre-acceptance of this fact helps in dealing with the enduring disappointment.

archimedes

Flashaholic

ouch :eek: :eek: :eek:

@Rudi makes a good point though that it is kinda sad too that so many of these incredible flashlights probably hardly even get turned on ... :(

Last edited:

Str8stroke

Flashlight Enthusiast

There's even some (admittedly remote) chance that someone doing a websearch will stumble across this thread.
That was my first thought. Then I thought more, how in the heck would they know what it is to even search. Only if it was one of the earlier version with Cool Fall on it. What was the serial number?
Headed to eBay now and see if I can find "some strange flashlight with small scratches for sale". Maybe I can get it cheap. Hopefully, Free Shipping from BC too!

Skeeterg

Enlightened

So sorry about your loss on a very cool light. I do hope you can find it. I had a 2000 dollar watch awhile back,and I was just nervous every time I wore it, I finally decided just to sell it.

Launch Mini

Flashlight Enthusiast

That was my first thought. Then I thought more, how in the heck would they know what it is to even search. Only if it was one of the earlier version with Cool Fall on it. What was the serial number?
Headed to eBay now and see if I can find "some strange flashlight with small scratches for sale". Maybe I can get it cheap. Hopefully, Free Shipping from BC too!

Made me laugh.
My best hope is a tourist passing through picked it up. The little town, where I think it now resides, is very rural, I don't even think there is a pawn shop in the town, so it will probably get used & tossed. :(

peter yetman

Flashlight Enthusiast

Made me laugh.
My best hope is a tourist passing through picked it up. The little town, where I think it now resides, is very rural, I don't even think there is a pawn shop in the town, so it will probably get used & tossed. :(
That's the bit that would hurt me the most.
P

Launch Mini

Flashlight Enthusiast

An important update, my SPY has been located.
Of course I will blame my wife, here is the condensed version.
We've been renovating our home a bit, and the final bit was painting the ensuite bathroom.
So in doing so, we/I moved crap out of the bedroom, so there was room to work etc.
In doing so, I moved my wife's garment bag, that she had taken on the fateful trip to Prince George for our daughter's graduation.
More to follow on the garment bag.

So. to the best of my recreation abilities, here is what may have happened.
On the drive up to PG, I am 99.9% sure I had the SPY with me. We alternate driving every two hours, and I probably took the SPY out of my pocket and put it in the door storage space.
Then when we changed drivers, I left it there.
Now comes the guessing part.
I think my wife used a lint roller, and put it into the same door pocket, and the SPY stuck to the lint roller.
When we got to the hotel, guessing wife grabbed the lint roller, did not notice the light attached to it, and put it into the garment bag, so she could use it when she got dressed for grad.
ps, she always has more than one lint roller.
Obviously she never used that particular lint roller with the attached light ( maybe for using in the dark?), as it remained in the bag.
She never noticed it there when she took out her clothes at the hotel, nor at home.
She probably thought, just leave the roller for next time, which could have been years.
So back to painting.
When I grabbed the garment bag, it was heavier than it should have been. So instead of just putting it on her shelf, I looked it, and was very pleasantly surprised to find the light very stuck to the roller.
No harm to the light.

I am just guessing, that she was in a hurry to get to the hotel, she never noticed the light, and thankfully it didn't fall out of the car at that time. Nor did she notice it when she took her clothes out at the hotel or home.
Had we not been painting, that bag probably would have sat in the corner for months ( January is our next trip), or longer.

That made my weekend, like winning the lottery.

I am being much more careful now.

I used to hate all those lint rollers we have, they are everywhere, but now I know they serve a bigger purpose.

archimedes

Flashaholic
That is one of the most incredible stories .... a new CPF classic, lol :)

Congrats !

By the way, I had a feeling it would somehow make its way back to you ....

Last edited:

sledhead

Flashlight Enthusiast
One heck of a lint roller to have a Spy stick to it! :D Glad to hear you found it. I remember how I felt when I found my Spy in the slipper after 6 weeks. :twothumbs