Safe Lithium A123 & Emoli 18650 sizes now used in (Elephant) Wide Body Mags

sylathnie

Enlightened
Check your local Lowes. Mine had 2 VPX packs on clearance. $9 dollars each!

therisensun

Newly Enlightened
It looks like i found a source for new A123 Systems 18650 1100 mAh and 26650 2300 mAh cells without tabs.

The home page is: http://www.aircraft-world.com/default.asp
The A123 link is a short distance down this page.

The single cell sale page is: http://www.aircraft-world.com/shopdisplayproducts.asp?id=32&cat=battery+%2D+SINGLE+CELLS
This page includes shrink wrap and solder tabs.

Pack assembly instructions are linked here: http://media.hyperion.hk/dn/a123/packassy/A123packassy.pdf
Including a link to step by step assembly video.

Saves from having to purchase and disassemble existing power tool packs.

mdocod

Flashaholic
That's strange, I wonder why the switch?!?

Possibly a limited availability issue with the Emoli cells?

This has me worried, as I was about to make an attempt on a Ryobi pack myself for more cells :D

going to have a look at your shootout now...

Eric

Update on the Ryobi P104 One Plus packs. The 2nd and 3rd P104 packs I got from EBay seller has red Sanyo UR18650-SA cells which are represented as 1300mAh similar to Sony Konion cells. I listed more details and backup links in my post #7 at RC Groups Forum thread here.

I'm testing its mAh capacity now. Still need to run all these various brands through my CBA-II at different rates.

Last edited:

LuxLuthor

Flashaholic
I think they switched because they finally realized Emoli is a Canadian company. (Joke) ;)

Here is another addition to the list which I read about in various product listings. Sony's VT which has less mAh and slighly lower voltage, but stays a bit cooler under load. I added these to the run tests in battery section thread.

Thumbnail of pack for identification. I got this for $73 with free shipping from Amazon.

Chodes

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've just pulled apart a Makita BL1830 pack - 10 x Sony V cells.
All 10 cells measured 3.65v open circuit. Cost $115 delivered , expensive compared to the Amazon prices I have seen , but the Aussie dollar has just crashed so $70US becomes $90 AUS , plus shipping... I've done OK I think for $11.50 per cell.

The case makes a good 18650 cell carrier too , funny that :grin2:

Mettee

Enlightened
I found some milwaukee li-on packs at lows on sale for $68. They are 18V. What do you think of these?

geek4christ

Enlightened
Re: Elephant Battery Combinations

Here are the Black & Decker "VPX" packs that you can get at Walmart, Home Depot, Hardware stores, Amazon for about $18. Easy to pop off top and get two 18650 size A123 safe chemistry 1100mAh high amp output cells. (thumbnail)

These VPX packs and tools are going on clearance all over the place. I think the battery pack is currently $11 at my local Wal-Mart. Curious about this, I did some searching and found that amazon.com now lists the following in the description of every item in the VPX line:

Discontinued by manufacturer: Yes
I emailed Black&Decker about the future of the VPX line and got this response:

Response (Lori Strausbaugh) 09/24/2008 01:52 PM
Hello Forrest and thanks for using Black & Decker's on-line support.
Yes. The VPX line of cordless power tools is being phased out because of lack of sales.
Thank you for allowing us the opportunity to serve you. If your question remains unresolved or if you require additional information please update this incident.

Sincerely,

Lori Strausbaugh
So it looks like our mega-affordable source for 18650-sized A123 cells will be dwindling to nothing in the near future.

Last edited:

rolltide

Newly Enlightened
I think they switched because they finally realized Emoli is a Canadian company. (Joke) ;)

Here is another addition to the list which I read about in various product listings. Sony's VT which has less mAh and slighly lower voltage, but stays a bit cooler under load. I added these to the run tests in battery section thread.

Thumbnail of pack for identification. I got this for $73 with free shipping from Amazon.

I was able to pick up two of these battery packs on Ebay. I have a couple questions.

1. The voltage on each cell is a very consistent 3.4V. Is that the right voltage for these cells fresh out of a new pack?

2. Can I charge these cells with my regular lith-ion 18650 charger?
From what I have read here, this is OK, but I just want to make sure before I throw them on a charger and mess them up.

Thanks for any info.

I understand these Sony VT's are only 1100mAH cells, but I can get these at half the price of the packs that have the Sony V's (1500mAH), so I figure for the same money I get 2 1100mA batteries instead of 1 1500mAH battery so I can charge the one while I use the other. 700mAH's more and better versatility at the same price sounded like a good deal to me.

Also, many thanks to Lux for putting together all this great information and keeping us updated.

Last edited: