Saint Incand's Day - July 12, 2009

bykfixer

Flashaholic
^^ you can get a pair of 18500's, and a 75mm pvc sleeve to go around them. Then use a 5 cell bulb. That mod gives about 175 lumens while staying with stock reflector and lens.

Or a tad customs G4 setup, which uses a bipin bulb similar to a Magcharger bulb.

Others have used 18650's with some tail cap spring removal then use a TadCustoms or FiveMega bi-pin module and again Magcharger type bulb.

There are other mods that can be done but those are the easiest to do. The G4 setup involves swapping to a metal reflector and glass lens.

KiwiMark

Flashlight Enthusiast
Its all relative I guess...I get 8+ hours with incan 2D, 200-250 or more hours with LED 2D. That's all I am saying.

To me 8+ hours seems like plenty. I use rechargeable batteries in all my lights and it really doesn't take all that much to charge them now and then.
Of course I can use an LED on low or medium as a long run time light to back up my incan that has nicer high CRI output.
My Maglite 2D (2 x 32600 LiIon) with ROP low bulb is a nice light to use with a lovely bright warm white output and enough run time (even if it is less than the run time with an LED).

LEDs being more efficient on power use? Yes, that is a major reason for their popularity - hardly new information to anyone on this site.

novice

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for the reminder, bykfixer. I have an E2O and E2D that I will top off the rechargeable cells for, as well as a couple of A2 aviators with 2x16340 Li-ions. I don't think that I will need my hotwire M@g mods, but why take a chance?

Last edited:

novice

Flashlight Enthusiast
LuxLuthor,
Bless you for sharing the results of your destructive incan bulb tests. I have relied upon them heavily; mostly 2x3.7 voltage outputs.

Minimoog

Enlightened
If ever there was a day to celebrate it's Incand's Day. That 100% CRI, reassuring glow, history and modern all in one perfect orb. Within that globe there is the power to chase away the shadows, bring light to the dark and help a friend who can't find his way.

Took these today in the spirit of the occasion.

In a tin: https://www.dropbox.com/s/0s47vwotan5f1fh/20170612_195548.jpg?dl=0

In a case: https://www.dropbox.com/s/d4zuhb4zgcsqyzh/20170612_195626.jpg?dl=0

Made from wood: https://www.dropbox.com/s/5sbv2c959zkoqej/20170612_195729.jpg?dl=0

Made from metal: https://www.dropbox.com/s/q078fq6sbsb18fo/20170612_195856.jpg?dl=0

Last edited:

bykfixer

Flashaholic
3 day folks.

I'm thinking Pelican M6 (2320) or a Pentagon eX2 with a P60 in it and a Malkoff clicky on it.

Maybe a hotwired Mag 2C ML25 incan or a 2C HIPCO from the 1950's or...
Gonna be a small one this year.

LeanBurn

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'll be using my Maglite 2D with glass lens. I tested it out the other day in preparation with some fresh D cells...It was brighter than remembered. If somehow we lost LED overnight I could easily use it for anything and be happy with it.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
I'll be using my Maglite 2D with glass lens. I tested it out the other day in preparation with some fresh D cells...It was brighter than remembered. If somehow we lost LED overnight I could easily use it for anything and be happy with it.

The classics never go out of style.

The glass sure does make a difference don't it? Even thought the plastic looks plenty clear, in side by side it's almost like you stuck wax paper over your plastic lens. I'm always amazed at the difference.
I just acquired a few WhiteStar bulbs for St Incan Day at work. (We're scheduled to be paving a nice dark country backroad somewhere well away from the big city light pollution that night)

Last edited:

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Speaking of classic 2D Maglite;
The Pony Express dropped this off today
5T57UIi.jpg

This old thing went on the indoor work bench today.

It's one of the "old style"
fzHTEMT.jpg

Versus a new style pic

Last edited:

LiftdT4R

Flashlight Enthusiast
Lookin' good Mr. Fixer!!

I just got back from walking my pup. I usually carry a PK Designs AA but had to go retro tonight.

DsDS7xS.jpg

Happy St. Incand's everyone!! Got to love the glow of an incandescent! Good to see there's still so much love for these old lights!

bykfixer

Flashaholic
^^ Looks like one of Don Kellers designs.

Being is I'm working sundown to sunup incan day was like 2days. Midinight to sunrise, then later that day sundown to midnight.

I chose to use my 2C Mag ML25IT that uses 2x LifePo4 18500's and a 4 cell bi-pin to create the tunnel beam like the zoomer I had been using.

The folks around me had never seen a flashlight bulb on a light that small put out so much light. (Little do they know how this things pales in comparison to the ROP)

As a bonus I closed the day on the phone with the Photon King from his desk somewhere across the planet where it was lunchtime for him.

Last edited:

LiftdT4R

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yes sir! No fair, you get to double dip!!! Well, glad there's still a couple of us keeping this tradition of alive. So long til next year.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Yes sir! No fair, you get to double dip!!! Well, glad there's still a couple of us keeping this tradition of alive. So long til next year.

I'm doing a carry over on friday the 13th with that amazing little Kel-Lite 2C the pony express dropped off today.
fRixraq.jpg

Whoops, the watch I'm wearing forgot June has 30 days and I forgot to change it. Doh!
All kindsa reports have to be changed to say 7/14....

Last edited:

LuxLuthor

Flashaholic
I have to set myself a reminder to celebrate this on July 12, which will be the 10th Anniversary! Yeaaaayyy! Glorious Incandescents Forever!