• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

Sold/Expired SALE: JM-PhD-D1 PWM Hotwire Regulator BATCH 2

Conte

Enlightened
As an example:

Drawing%20Board_011_zpss8irdbbq.jpg

When the fet is off, it forces the cap to charge while powering the processor.
When the fet is off, the cap discharges to keep the proc running until the next cycle.
The Diode prevents the cap from discharging to the lightbulb forcing the current to the proc.

And this got me thinking, if that works then:
Drawing%20Board_02_zpsamlpnjac.jpg

Depending on how physically big the cap needs to be, perhaps the JimmyFet could be shoe horned into a tailcap.
Fivemega has some 26mm SF style bodies. Maybe the tailcap has just enough meat to make this work.

JimmyM

Flashlight Enthusiast
As an example:

When the fet is off, it forces the cap to charge while powering the processor.
When the fet is off, the cap discharges to keep the proc running until the next cycle.
The Diode prevents the cap from discharging to the lightbulb forcing the current to the proc.

And this got me thinking, if that works then:

Depending on how physically big the cap needs to be, perhaps the JimmyFet could be shoe horned into a tailcap.
Fivemega has some 26mm SF style bodies. Maybe the tailcap has just enough meat to make this work.

You could run it that way. As long as the FET is always switching. It could never be used in "low dropout mode" where the FET is fully on.
A mag tube extension to house the electronics would be fine. And it should all fit. For regulation that works fine. I'd be real sure about filtering that cap. But your schematic works in theory.
Let's finish this discussion elsewhere. I don't want to full the sales thread with other stuff too much. If you'd like to start a thread, I'd certainly participate.

Thanks.

JimmyM

Flashlight Enthusiast
Alright, I'll take one.
Been mulling over the settings I want while studying the firmware program. Pretty much going to go stock with a few changes.

For "Multi-Level Mode"
Operation Mode: Multi-Level
Vbulb: User or 7v
Vlow: User or 4.2v
Level-1: 61% (Yes: med, low, high)
Level-2: 35% (Values based on AW incan driver)
Level-3: 100%
SoftRamp: Yes
Softstart: slow
Low Volt Warning: Pulsing
Low volt shutdown: Undervolt: 94%
VLOW_Latch: Enable
Over Temp trigger: 80C Dimming to 4(25%)
Over Temp Shutdown: Yes:2440 (10 Seconds)
Response:61 (1/4 second)

$30+7=$37. Confirm ?
Paypal ready.

Custom programming.

The flashight I'm putting this into has a dual mode switch.
Off-momentary-on. It cannot be modified.
When you switch it to momentary it enables an extra button, this will be perfect for controlling the unit.

However, if I or someone was to switch it all the way to on and leave it there,
I want to know that a constant control signal won't damage or confuse the unit.
What would happen if you pressed the bottom from off and kept it on?

What would be awesome is if you could program it to augement this function.

What I'd like is, if the button is held on, go to level-1 and stay there.
If the button is held on for more then 5 sec (1220) when the control signal is removed,
to go back to level-0 or off.

That way I can maintain standard on/off function defaulting to my general purpose 61% if the switch is used normally, but use the added level features if I set the switch to momentary.

What do you think ?
If it's simple, that would be awesome. If not, no problem, as long as the unit won't get damaged is the signal is left on.

I'll be at by bench this weekend. I should have this out to you on Monday. Was traveling this week.

ma tumba

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sorry for the off topic, but I am wondering if this regulator could be adapted for a 6P body if one plans to use one of bi pin drop ins instead of the native bulb assemblies? Or, if there exists a regulator of that kind for a 6P body? I realized, from this discussion, that an aw softstart I've been looking for, was not a constant voltage regulator

Last edited:

Conte

Enlightened
This regulator assembly is 30mm wide, it's made for a M*g D.
So no, I wish it would fit in a surefire, I'm in the same boat as you.

Sorry for the off topic, but I am wondering if this regulator could be adapted for a 6P body if one plans to use one of bi pin drop ins instead of the native bulb assemblies? Or, if there exists a regulator of that kind for a 6P body? I realized, from this discussion, that an aw softstart I've been looking for, was not a constant voltage regulator

JimmyM

Flashlight Enthusiast
Alright, I'll take one.
Been mulling over the settings I want while studying the firmware program. Pretty much going to go stock with a few changes.

For "Multi-Level Mode"
Vbulb: User or 7v
Vlow: User or 4.2v
Level-1: 61% (Yes: med, low, high)
Level-2: 35% (Values based on AW incan driver)
Level-3: 100%
Softstart: slow
Low Volt Warning: Pulsing
Low volt shutdown: Undervolt: 94%
Over Temp trigger: 80C Dimming to 4(25%)
Over Temp Shutdown: Yes:2440 (10 Seconds)
Response:61 (1/4 second)

$30+7=$37. Confirm ?
Paypal ready.

Custom programming.

The flashight I'm putting this into has a dual mode switch.
Off-momentary-on. It cannot be modified.
When you switch it to momentary it enables an extra button, this will be perfect for controlling the unit.

However, if I or someone was to switch it all the way to on and leave it there,
I want to know that a constant control signal won't damage or confuse the unit.
What would happen if you pressed the bottom from off and kept it on?

What would be awesome is if you could program it to augement this function.

What I'd like is, if the button is held on, go to level-1 and stay there.
If the button is held on for more then 5 sec (1220) when the control signal is removed,
to go back to level-0 or off.

That way I can maintain standard on/off function defaulting to my general purpose 61% if the switch is used normally, but use the added level features if I set the switch to momentary.

What do you think ?
If it's simple, that would be awesome. If not, no problem, as long as the unit won't get damaged is the signal is left on.

Conte,
I just realized that your Vlow is below the minimum 5.2V Vin.
Do you want to raise that Vlow to 5.2?

Conte

Enlightened
It's for Two Lifepo4 cells. 2v cutoff plus a bit more.
The extra O.2v is so the 94% under volt kicks in right at 3.9 and the warning is before actual cutoff.

Conte,
I just realized that your Vlow is below the minimum 5.2V Vin.
Do you want to raise that Vlow to 5.2?

JimmyM

Flashlight Enthusiast
It's for Two Lifepo4 cells. 2v cutoff plus a bit more.
The extra O.2v is so the 94% under volt kicks in right at 3.9 and the warning is before actual cutoff.
The regulator needs a minimum of 5.2V. Maybe 5.0V. It needs that voltage to switch the FET.

Conte

Enlightened
Oh, I see what you're saying. The cutoff point is lower then the operating voltage.
I failed to put that together when deciding my settings.

Hmm. Well the pair of Lifepo4 cells run operate round 6v at their minimum just before they die, so it won't really be a problem.

Alright, lets say we set the cutoff to 5.5v That's 2.75v a cell which will accommodate the 26650 IMR cells I'm planning to get for this rig in the future.
The 94% shutdown will also kill the light around the min operating voltage of the unit and before the min cutoff of the IMR cells.

Hows that sound?

Out of curiocity, what would happen to the unit if the voltage drops too low ? Just turn off, or risk damage ?

JimmyM

Flashlight Enthusiast
Oh, I see what you're saying. The cutoff point is lower then the operating voltage.
I failed to put that together when deciding my settings.

Hmm. Well the pair of Lifepo4 cells run operate round 6v at their minimum just before they die, so it won't really be a problem.

Alright, lets say we set the cutoff to 5.5v That's 2.75v a cell which will accommodate the 26650 IMR cells I'm planning to get for this rig in the future.
The 94% shutdown will also kill the light around the min operating voltage of the unit and before the min cutoff of the IMR cells.

Hows that sound?

Out of curiocity, what would happen to the unit if the voltage drops too low ? Just turn off, or risk damage ?
Ok. I'll make the appropriate changes. If the voltage drops too low, the onboard oscillator may not work properly. Additionally, the FET won't switch as quickly and will dissipate more heat. That all can happen under 4.5v. The built in regulator to run the processor drops some voltage too.

ma tumba

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi everyone!

Supposing I want to combine my serial 8x 14500 adapter (aw imr 14500, up to 33.6V total) with this driver in order to feed a 60W, 12V bulb. On average, the current would be about 6A which is fine for these batteries. However, with the driver, the instantaneous current would vary from zero to about 15A.

I wonder if such a regime would kill the batteris and/or the hot wires?

Last edited:

JimmyM

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi everyone!

Supposing I want to combine my serial 8x 14500 adapter (aw imr 14500, up to 33.6V total) with this driver in order to feed a 60W, 12V bulb. On average, the current would be about 6A which is fine for these batteries. However, with the driver, the instantaneous current would vary from zero to about 15A.

I wonder if such a regime would kill the batteris and/or the hot wires?
The wires should be fine if they can take 6A DC continuous, they can take 6A RMS PWM. Same thing.

The batteries on the other hand... I'm not sure. 60W at 12V = 14A peak at 33.6V. Not sure how they would act. Maybe add a large ripple current Capacitor in parallel with the battery pack. That would reduce the peak current on the cells.

Conte

Enlightened
So, I defiantly want to get another one of these. I'm going to do an actual mag build.

I have recently discovered that my old NIMH D cells I use for other hotwires are worn out and need to be replaced.
I came to the realization that modern 26650 cells have the same or greater wH capacity then the best D cells for the same price.
That being said, using your regulation makes D cells completely obsolete.

IF I buy 2 more, making it a total of 3, will you give them to me for the $27 each ?
I know I'm going to get at least one, I'm debating another just to play with for whatever or to see what else I can use it for or put it in.
I'm going to pick up one of those USB interface boxes soon. Kind of need to as it seems the thermal protect is set way too high for my Fulton.

JimmyM

Flashlight Enthusiast
So, I defiantly want to get another one of these. I'm going to do an actual mag build.

I have recently discovered that my old NIMH D cells I use for other hotwires are worn out and need to be replaced.
I came to the realization that modern 26650 cells have the same or greater wH capacity then the best D cells for the same price.
That being said, using your regulation makes D cells completely obsolete.

IF I buy 2 more, making it a total of 3, will you give them to me for the $27 each ?
I know I'm going to get at least one, I'm debating another just to play with for whatever or to see what else I can use it for or put it in.
I'm going to pick up one of those USB interface boxes soon. Kind of need to as it seems the thermal protect is set way too high for my Fulton.
More cells = more runtime. The more WH you can stuff into the light, the longer it will run. As long as the battery's voltage is above Vbulb.

Sorry, the "buy 3 deal" is on a per purchase basis.

JimmyM

Flashlight Enthusiast
Its the time it takes to react to an undervolt or overtemp condition. It prevents false triggering of an undervolt or overtemp warning.

ma tumba

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'll take 3 as follows. Jimmy, would you please provide the grand total for shipping those to Russia?
Thanks
Anton

Operation Mode: Standard
Vbulb: 12.0
Vlow: 10.0
Softstart: Med
Low Volt Warning: Dimming
Low volt shutdown: Undervolt: 90%
Over Temp trigger: 70C
Over Temp Shutdown: Yes, Y seconds: (60 Seconds)
Response: 1/2

Vbulb: 14.0
Vlow: 10.0
Level-1: 18-100% (50%)
Level-2: 18-100% (64%)
Level-3: 18-100% (100%)
Softstart: Fast
Low volt shutdown: Undervolt: 90%

Vbulb: 9.6
Vlow: 8.2
Level-1: 18-100% (40%)
Level-2: 18-100% (60%)
Level-3: 18-100% (100%)
Softstart: Fast
Low volt shutdown: Undervolt: 97%