SANYO Announces C- and D-sized ‘eneloop’ Batteries

eluminator

Flashlight Enthusiast
It's too bad they couldn't have been aware of the eventual trend to substitute AA cells in adapters when they determined the dimensions of the D cell.
You assume D cells were invented after AA cells were invented. I'm guessing A B C and D batteries came first, then AA and AAA came later.

Last edited:

Eugene

Flashlight Enthusiast
I beleive eluminator is right AA came later, but the idea is still valid, why didn't they make aa's diameter small enough to fit 4 in a d size.

eluminator

Flashlight Enthusiast
I will settle for 3. Anyone make a good adapter that will connect 3 AA cells in parallel and give it a form factor of a D cell?

Well maybe I should wait and see how much the eneloop D cells will cost.

Bones

Enlightened
I will settle for 3. Anyone make a good adapter that will connect 3 AA cells in parallel and give it a form factor of a D cell?

Well maybe I should wait and see how much the eneloop D cells will cost.

I've decided to wait and see what the upsized Eneloop will cost as well.

If it's even close to the cost of the AA cells and a decent quality adapter, I'll definitely go with the Eneloop.

There can be little doubt that it will be both rugged and efficient, and it's protected against careless handling.

LED_Thrift

Flashlight Enthusiast
Maybe the capacities seem so low beacause Sanyo is measuring "out the front" mAh instead of measuring the more common "emitter" or "internal" mAh

Bones

Enlightened
Maybe the capacities seem so low beacause Sanyo is measuring "out the front" mAh instead of measuring the more common "emitter" or "internal" mAh

Sanyo does appear to be raising the bar insofar as realistic capacity claims are concerned.

Rather than touting the 'Typical' capacity that has been the practice until now, they seem to be claiming the 'Minimum' capacity which most manufacturers only put in the fine print.

There's additional information in this regard earlier in thread:

http://www.candlepowerforums.com ... post2591128

copierguy_mobile

Newly Enlightened
Sorry to revive an old thread but I've got an Eneloop question for CPF's battery/electronics gurus:

I've currently got a mag 2D with a Malkoff 4-5-6 D upgrade in it. I power it with 6 AA Eneloops in a Fivemega 6AA to 2D adapter.

Would I see any benefit from switching over to a mag 6D, loading it with 6 Eneloop D's?

If I understand correctly, the voltage should be about the same (about 7.2 volts) but the capacity should be 34200mah vs the 12000mah I get now from the AA's. Does this translate into more lumens or longer run time?

Size is not an issue for this light. It's my "why are the dogs barking at 2AM" light, so most importantly it needs to have the long shelf life that Eneloop's offer and enough output over a long enough period of time to search a house and 3 acres if need be.

any input would be appreciated.

-Greg

PhantomPhoton

Flashlight Enthusiast
You'll get much longer runtime. mAh is a crude measurement of capacity in batteries. For an LED light batteries usually play very little part in brightness, rather it it the driver that determines how much current the LED receives and therefore how bright the light will be.
In this case there would be very very little difference in brightness between a 6AA adapter setup and a 6D setup in an incandescant bulb as well. Still the same voltage. The only thing that changes much is how much energy is stored.

LukeA

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sorry to revive an old thread but I've got an Eneloop question for CPF's battery/electronics gurus:

I've currently got a mag 2D with a Malkoff 4-5-6 D upgrade in it. I power it with 6 AA Eneloops in a Fivemega 6AA to 2D adapter.

Would I see any benefit from switching over to a mag 6D, loading it with 6 Eneloop D's?

If I understand correctly, the voltage should be about the same (about 7.2 volts) but the capacity should be 34200mah vs the 12000mah I get now from the AA's. Does this translate into more lumens or longer run time?

Size is not an issue for this light. It's my "why are the dogs barking at 2AM" light, so most importantly it needs to have the long shelf life that Eneloop's offer and enough output over a long enough period of time to search a house and 3 acres if need be.

any input would be appreciated.

-Greg

6AA Eneloops net you 2000mAh in that Mag. The Eneloop D-cells will give you 5700mAh. There are other LSD D-cells that can do 12000mAh.

You can only multiply by voltage when in series, and only multiply by capacity in parallel.

LukeA

Flashlight Enthusiast

2000mAh from an AA eneloop gives 260mAh/cc

12000mAh from a D-cell LSD gives 230mAh/cc

5700mAh from an Eneloop D-cell gives 109mAh/cc

I don't call energy density on par with NiCd exactly revolutionary.

copierguy_mobile

Newly Enlightened
6AA Eneloops net you 2000mAh in that Mag. The Eneloop D-cells will give you 5700mAh. There are other LSD D-cells that can do 12000mAh.

You can only multiply by voltage when in series, and only multiply by capacity in parallel.

Gotcha!

Never was good with math :shakehead

So no increase in output but somewhat longer runtime with the D's.

Where might I find LSD D's with a 12000mah capacity? and are they the same voltage?

In true CPF style, you've got me thinking about buying a Malkoff triple for that 6D mag in my closet.

thanks for the info,

Greg

LukeA

Flashlight Enthusiast
Gotcha!

Never was good with math :shakehead

So no increase in output but somewhat longer runtime with the D's.

Where might I find LSD D's with a 12000mah capacity? and are they the same voltage?

In true CPF style, you've got me thinking about buying a Malkoff triple for that 6D mag in my closet.

thanks for the info,

Greg
Much longer runtime, like 5-6x

Same voltage yep.

Whoops, the LSD D-cells come in up to 10000mAh; it's the standard cells that come in 12000mAh. Sorry. But that's rated capacity, and there might be variations in actual capacity, variations in the LSD cells' favor. At least that's what the linked page says.

Last edited:

copierguy_mobile

Newly Enlightened
Much longer runtime, like 5-6x

Same voltage yep.

Whoops, the LSD D-cells come in up to 10000mAh; it's the standard cells that come in 12000mAh. Sorry. But that's rated capacity, and there might be variations in actual capacity, variations in the LSD cells' favor. At least that's what the linked page says.

Cool,

thanks for the link.

-Greg

vestureofblood

Flashlight Enthusiast
Slight thread hijack, but most brands* of NiMH AA cells will not fit 4 astride inside a D-size M@G light, even without an adapter present - The inside diameter of the flashlight body is simply too small to accommodate 4 of them sitting next to each other. You might be able to omit one AA cell in Aventrade's 4-cell adapter (i.e., just use 3 cells), but then that leaves some space on one side of the adapter for it to shift off-center (and possibly lose electrical contact).

*A few random brands of AA cells I checked:
Kodak NiMH 2100 mAH Pre-Charged: Won't fit
Lacrosse NiMH 2400 mAH: Won't fit
Sanyo NiMH 2500 mAH: Won't fit
NEXcell NiMH 2100 mAH: Won't fit
Digital NiMH 2200 mAH: Won't fit
Kodak NiMH 2500 mAH: Won't fit
Duracell NiMH 2650 mAH: Won't fit
Targus NiMH 2500 mAH: Won't fit

Energizer AA Lithium: Will fit
Panasonic NiMH 1600 mAH: Will fit

BOTTOM LINE: Be sure to test-fit 4 of your intended AA cells in your intended flashlight before ordering these adapters.

4 duracell precharged 2000mah will fit into an unboared m*g body, just barley, not even enough room to add shrink but they fit. I think this is also a good time to mention I have discharged these cells at 10+ amps and there performance was remarkable. I put 13 kodak 2500mah cells into a 100 Watt osram 623 mod and the light was dim even on fresh cells. With the duracells it gave a bright white light for a full cycle and at about 11 min dropped off.

Nubo

Enlightened
I beleive eluminator is right AA came later, but the idea is still valid, why didn't they make aa's diameter small enough to fit 4 in a d size.

The idea of using multiple AAs in a D-cell adapter is likely particular to the relatively recent phenomenon of high-capacity AA NiMH cells. Which evolved due to market demand related to power demands of digital cameras.

With those tremendous AA cells an adapter can make a lot of sense. But not so much with the "9 lives" batteries of 50 years ago.