Sanyo NCR18650GA vs sony vtc5a?

SYZYGY

Enlightened
obviously NCR18650GA (the best 18650 ;)). or VTC5A if you need more drain.

what kind of question is this? lol

SYZYGY

Enlightened
dependable under what conditions? if you're using a quality 18650 while respecting its specs (incl current and temperature), are some really known to be more dependable than others?

just use NCR18650GA unless you need more current.

raggie33

*the raggedier*
OK I'm talking power grid failure and I'm to my bug out place out in the wild

chillinn

Flashlight Enthusiast
Unless you need more than 8A-10A, NCR18650GA has 35% more capacity than VTC5A and can cost half as much. And if you do, I'd like to know, for what?

raggie33

*the raggedier*
Cool ty you both this was a hard choice I love sony since my first Walkman then my first play station

Sjvalleydave

Newly Enlightened
I agree. I think the GA is a great battery, just doesn't work for me very often. I rebuild power tools, really need a CDR of, very, very minimum is 10A. Normally look for 15A minimum, much happier with 20+A. Still hard to beat the 25R

ampdude

Flashlight Enthusiast
They tend to go bad pretty fast when they are below 30% charge. I think below 20% for too often is flirting with death. If they get that low or lower, charge them up right away. Doesn't have to be full charge, but put a decent charge back on them. And they get worse the colder the climate they're in. 45-80% charge is kind of the sweet spot for Li-ion longevity. But the chemistry just does not like cold. And neither do their circuit boards. In colder climates I would always prefer to keep them fully charged as possible. However, I live in the midwest tundra, so you might have different concerns. I keep a good stash of primaries around. And keep the Lithium-Ions I use warm and charged. And if I take them out on a trip, I understand their possible limitations. I don't know if you're familiar with lead acid car batteries and what they do compared to these, but they are a lot more robust. However.. they are normally considered 12 volt batteries right? Well they are actually 14.4 volt batteries. If you ever put a battery tester on a car battery and it actually reads 12 volts, it's basically done.

Last edited:

NiOOH

Enlightened
While Sonys have a great specs and are spectacular when new, I've found that their cycle life is not the greatest. Their characteristics (DCAP and IR) deteriorate faster than say, Samsung or Panasonic/Sanyo cells, all else being equal. These days, I prefer more robust cells, and I'm fully ready to exchange some performance (when new) for extended cycle life.

PS: The max continuous discharge rate of the VTC6 without temperature cut off is 20 A.

Last edited: