• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

SCAM ALERT

badtziscool

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'll call this one out as well. Fordcappy's account probably was compromised. All sales posts uses pics that belong to someone else or some other site.

Reactions: RPC

teak

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hasnt ford cappy been around awhile? Seems like I have seen his name for years?

RPC

Newly Enlightened
I'd bet real money this isn't our fordcappy. There's no way he broke bad. 🧐
Great minds…

0425450F-CB40-4F92-B88D-F65701BAE6BB.jpeg

SMH

What I find fascinating is why the scammer even tries to explain him/herself, even after being called out with concrete proof the photos were reused and the listing is bogus.

I hope @RPC gets the money back and the scammer gets whatever comes to those who act in sub-human ways.

RPC

Newly Enlightened
What I find fascinating is why the scammer even tries to explain him/herself, even after being called out with concrete proof the photos were reused and the listing is bogus.

I hope @RPC gets the money back and the scammer gets whatever comes to those who act in sub-human ways.

I am equally baffled. This person- whoever it is- has taken similar liberties in the PMs between us that led to my poor decision of the week.

I paid through the Zelle function within my banking app, which provides the only glimmer of hope here. That plus the .01% chance the real @fordcappy bumped his head real hard recently and is actually offering these items with an explainable backstory to the photo cross posting.

Edit:
Credit to @scalpel_ninja for posting this Scam Alert in the first place. Otherwise I would likely be blissfully unaware of the tragedy I had already walked into.

Last edited:

kerneldrop

Flashlight Enthusiast
That plus the .01% chance the real @fordcappy bumped his head real hard recently and is actually offering these items with an explainable backstory to the photo cross posting.

Someone would have to bump their head real hard to sell a $700 HDS SS for $300.

Mister Ed

Administrator
Staff member
Not implying any responsibility whatsoever, but I've reported several messages plus the posting...

Where are the mods in all of this?
We have suggested all users use 2 Step verification on their account.

On ever message via the PM System there is a box:
Warning!
Never send money to someone you don't know. Only use buyer protected methods of payments.
Please use the report button for any unusual activity!
From that @RPC you have been the only person to report the messages. We have locked the account, and required the user to reset their password via the last known email address.

RPC

Newly Enlightened
Thank you, @Mister Ed.

For anyone interested, I'll circle back here when I get a final ruling from my bank (the odds are not in my favor, yet they're still odds).

And let me serve as an example of the value of this advice:
89CEBEB1-94DD-481E-9F4A-804DA547E7AA.jpeg

Rmb

Newly Enlightened
I sent this person $315 for the SS HDS.

Not the most expensive life lesson I've had but stings for a Friday afternoon.
Sorry to hear about this. I usually do a reverse image search if im worried about a seller. I've caught one here doing it. Goodluck

RPC

Newly Enlightened
Sorry to hear about this. I usually do a reverse image search if im worried about a seller. I've caught one here doing it. Goodluck

This is a great idea. One of several things I'll do differently in the future…

bigburly912

Flashlight Enthusiast
They do everything they can to convince you because when the post hasn't been taken down yet and they may be able to sucker more people in to buying. Like what happened last time. 4 or 5 of us paid for the same light.

Kid9P

Flashlight Enthusiast
How does one go about doing that?

troutpool

Flashlight Enthusiast
"Reverse image searching 101
On a desktop, computer reverse image search is simple. Just go to images.google.com and click on the little camera icon in the search bar. Now you can either paste in the URL for an image you've seen online, upload an image from your hard drive, or drag an image into the search box." From Mashable.

nbp

Flashaholic
This is happening like crazy on Bladeforums too; the exact same thing. Someone hacks an established user's account and sells stuff they don't have and disappears. It sucks. When a couple of us got scammed like this here a while back I hammered my Credit Card company with several calls and they eventually took it off my statement as a fraudulent charge.

Kid9P

Flashlight Enthusiast
"Reverse image searching 101
On a desktop, computer reverse image search is simple. Just go to images.google.com and click on the little camera icon in the search bar. Now you can either paste in the URL for an image you've seen online, upload an image from your hard drive, or drag an image into the search box." From Mashable.
Sweet! Thanks