Scurion P7

Seek

Newly Enlightened
A new version of the Scurion headtorch seems to be in the works. Not content with the > 400 lumen the current version kicks out, they are now working on a new version with a P4 spot kicking out 240 lumen (as before) but with a P7 for the flood (driven at 1.5A => 430 lumen).

Anyone fancy a 670 odd lumen headtorch? :thumbsup:

They have come up with another great addition...

The lamp has a 5 bar green led battery status thingy and they have now added a 'projector option'....

"The five LEDs are projected using a plano-convex lens to the image surface (your hand for example). Of course this is no photographic quality objective, but sufficient to see the remaining power of your battery."

http://www.scurion.ch/ms/index.php?id=16,0,0,1,0,0

Last edited:

karlthev

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yes, I "fancy" this one quite a bit. Now, Scurion needs to get approval to sell them in the United States!

Karl

Seek

Newly Enlightened
I think it's more a question of choosing not to sell in the US because of the expense involved in getting product liability insurance. I'd be very interested to hear from someone who knows about all of this.

I wonder how many small enterprises simply take the risk and don't bother with insurance (not a road I'd take personally but I can understand the temptation).

I think I may finally get myself a Scurion now. I had half been waiting for an update before doing so (something told me the P7 wasn't long to come :) ) and I'm glad I did.

Patriot

Flashaholic
Yes, I "fancy" this one quite a bit. Now, Scurion needs to get approval to sell them in the United States!

Karl

I see this caught you eye as well Karl....:cool:

Now that's the way to do a P7! Very impressive but...oh so much $$$. Too many lights for me lately.

karlthev

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ah yes Paul, logic, rational thought, sanity---commodities which I once held near and dear to me!!! :sick:

Karl

dom

Enlightened
Wow -i really like the battery level thing -very clever.
They say it worked the first time they tried it -says volumes for their design work.

bdsmchs

Newly Enlightened
I really like the idea of using a non-reflectored/lensed P7 as a high-output flood. A Cree Q5-WC is great for spot work while caving, but a P7 is a bit "much", especially with the size of a reflector that you would need to turn it into a usable beam. By opening up the P7 as just flood, you get the perfect combo of throw and flood in a light.

And I thought buying a stenlight was expensive though!! PHEW! don't think I'll ever be picking one of these babies up.

uk_caver

Flashlight Enthusiast
Apart from uses like photography (as suggested by the manufacturers) I'm not sure how much gain there is in having a 430lm flood beam over a 240lm one for most cave situations.

Practically speaking, even on short timescales, a less than 2x difference in absolute brightness is often not hugely obvious if eyes are briefly closed while the level is changed.
On longer timescales, and even at relatively low levels of illumination, changing dark adaptation of the eye with different light exposure will make differences in what can be seen somewhat smaller than they appear to be at instant level-changes.