Seeing demand for an improved reflector for the ebay HID torches

KuanR

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just recently picked up one of these 85w ebay HIDs as a "entry ticket" into the world of HID torches

Ebay Item number: 270853628410

[/URL]I have to say, I am quite disappointed by its performance. The throw on it was terrible, and the flood was really uneven. I did search the forum and seems quite a few people have issues with these lights. I forgot who, but there was a forum member that mentioned the QC on these are pretty low, and he bought 2-3 reflectors and none of them were gave the same beam pattern.

I decided to make this thread to see if anyone would be interested in an improved reflector for these lights. I messaged fivemega, but I know he's away, so I decided to see if there's even remotely enough interest for this to be feasible for FM to produce.

Please speak up if anyone is interested as I would kill to have an improved drop-in reflector for my HID torch:naughty:

Please Do Not link directly to ebay - Norm

Last edited by a moderator:
i have one of these ebay hid's and would be interested but i'm afraid it would be quite expensive if it's not mass produced. I'm quite pleased with the throw as it pulverizes all my other lights, but i realise that if the spill would be directed more into throw it would be devastating. Dunno if just changing the reflector will do it, maybe it has to be bigger => bigger head. Tried to unscrew the current head but it doesn't seem to work that good and i don't want to damage it.

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?333185-85-watt-vs-65-watt

post #13 are some beamshots i took, how does your one compares to it you think?

KuanR

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yeah I realize it would be expensive to make "one off" reflectors for a relatively cheap HID light, so I'm hoping there are more people that would be interested in a reflector "upgrade". I tried to remove the head too and it won't turn past a certain point so I'm guessing a reflector swap is the easiest way.

I wish my beam looks like yours....Mine is really messy with a lot of artifacts and way too much spill....Your light is a lot closer to the beam shots the sellers of this light provide.

turning the head doesn't change the amount of spill? Because if i turn it all to the right or to the left it gets very floody as well.

KuanR

Flashlight Enthusiast
When I turn the head on my torch, the focus barely changes, let alone the spill....Quite disappointing, it almost feels like a camless flashlight LOL

Would you be interested in a new drop in reflector if one was a available?

Enlightened
I got comfortably over 200k cd for my 65 watter. So what kind of throw are you looking at? 200k+ cd, 75mm reflector, sounds ok to me. Nevermind the OTF lumens (pretty ok as well). Just take it that such lights are meant for 50m-400m work, and it illuminates objects at those distances VERY CLEARLY. :D

For longer ranges, check out the bigger reflector stuff.

Last edited:

KuanR

Flashlight Enthusiast
I guess you're right, for "close range" it sure is bright with a big spill, but seeing all the cool reflector upgrades available for other lights (especially Maglites) just got me hoping something similar would be available for these torches.

The "bigger" stuff is completely out of my price range, so I was hoping I could improve what I had on hand

[email protected]

Newly Enlightened
Hi KuanR, I have a 75w as well. Interested in getting a reflector upgrade? I have upgraded mine with a good unit from US. Results are very good and it costs around 50 usd a piece with reflectivity of around 97 percent.

A very good value for money HID I must say. Just make sure you run in light with the front glass off for at least a few hours. If not your reflector will get foggy after a few runs. I think some kind of vapor was emitted while the light is still new, maybe the ballast or glue that causes it.

Enjoy your hid.. :)

BVH

Flashaholic
Hi KuanR, I have a 75w as well. Interested in getting a reflector upgrade? I have upgraded mine with a good unit from US. Results are very good and it costs around 50 usd a piece with reflectivity of around 97 percent.

A very good value for money HID I must say. Just make sure you run in light with the front glass off for at least a few hours. If not your reflector will get foggy after a few runs. I think some kind of vapor was emitted while the light is still new, maybe the ballast or glue that causes it.

That is excellent advice Triode....whether changing a reflector, bulb or glass window, I leave the window off for a while to clear the new material vapors.

where did you buy this reflector? How much did the throw improve?

stollman

Enlightened
"If not your reflector will get foggy after a few runs. I think some kind of vapor was emitted while the light is still new, maybe the ballast or glue that causes it."

Is there a way to clean the residue off the reflector?

Also, when turning the bezel, it seems to reach a "stop". Do you force it past the "stop" to remove the Bezel? I assume that does not damage the threads?

KuanR

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hey Triode, could you pm me the link to the reflector you bought? I think 50 is a reasonable price to upgrade if it improves it.

I wish I knee about running it with the lens off sooner as my reflector I'd covered in a hazy film. I guess more if an excuse to up grade :D

[email protected]

Newly Enlightened
Hi KuanR / scheven, google Nipro optics and send them your reflector dimensions. The throw improves by around 30 percent.

When your original reflector gets the hazy film theres no way to remove it. I learned the hard way and threw away 2 pieces along the way. :sick2:

Last edited:

KuanR

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for the info, I have just contacted them to see how much it would cost. I might try to get them to make more than 1 and see if there's any interest from anyone on the forum :)

KuanR

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hey Triode, do you mind giving me the dimensions you measured? I don't have anything that's very accurate in measuring, I tried using a ruler and it's not very accurate lol.

missionaryman

Enlightened
I've been singing the same tune for some time now and seem to be getting nowhere, I've approached FiveMega about this previously and he thought it would be too expensive due to the low demand (needs to be at least in the hundreds to be viable).

There is also the fact that some people get a really good reflector like mentioned in this thread up to 450m clearly - mine is lucky to hit 200m and it's a 55w, comfortably out-thrown by my SR90.

Phoenix reflectors advertised here in the CPF can help but I think one difficulty we're all going to experience is the completely random build tolerances, I can almost guarantee one person's dimensions will be different to another's.

I have ordered the DX reflector for their Trustfire SST90 light based on tests I did with my Olight reflector I think it will offer a significant improvement and may possibly shoehorn in but if not I'm going to try a combination of step up rings. Without the rings it's a $10 investment.

Triode - please post beam shots before and after and images of the new reflector, it would be a big help to us all.

missionaryman

Enlightened
Sorry one more thing, does anyone else have a bezel who's threads are too big to fit on the head? Mine was held on only by an o-ring as I discovered when I tried to remove the lens cap, now it's held in place by Teflon tape to bridge the space in the threads

KuanR

Flashlight Enthusiast
Let us know how the DX reflector works on the HID Torch, sounds like good alternative if it's only $10