Seeking bike light recommendation

Wiggle

Flashlight Enthusiast
I recently have gotten back into cycling with a new road bike. I'd like to add a headlight for cycling at night in the country and unlit paths. Here are the criteria I'm looking for:

Good output. I don't need anything absurd but 700-1000 real lumens would be nice.
Relatively floody beam. A nice option would be floody plus a couple extra LEDs for throw as I've seen in some bikes.
3 brightness modes, no strobes or flashling modes.
Predictable/graceful low battery behavior. A gentle tapering off or low battery warning instead of a fully regulated and sudden "lights out" scenario.
Good UI. A separately mounted switch would be good but not necessary.
Reasonable build quality and reliability. I want something fairly durable but don't want to pay a fortune either. I will be using a flashlight on helmet as a backup.
Compact and lightweight.
Stable mounting but also able to be removed without much hassle.

Budget is under $150 but if I can get something decent for lower I have no issue spending less.

Last edited:

DavidAD

Newly Enlightened
I have the Fenix BT-20 and like it. I mostly use it as a daytime be seen light with the blinking mode. You don't have to cycle past it and the unit has memory. I like the idea of using my on high quality batteries.

Wiggle

Flashlight Enthusiast
That looks good. Is the BTR-20 mostly the same except with the recharging without removal of batteries? I do like the idea of that beam shape too, it seems to reduce glare to drivers and provide a bit more light where it's actually needed. Couple questions about it:

1) Is the mount stable? I ride a light aluminum roadbike so shocks are pretty direct through the frame, Does this move or rattle the light noticeably?

2) How long is the cable between the light unit and the battery pack?

DavidAD

Newly Enlightened
I have mine mounted midway down the fork and it is stable over bumps.
With the cable extension it's about 41".

Steve K

Flashlight Enthusiast
I haven't bought a commercial bike light in years (decades?), preferring to make my own, but the Philips Saferide did get a lot of good reviews. The unique thing about it was the optics, which satisfied the German standards. It makes for a good light for road use; the light goes on the road surface, and not into driver's eyes and into the sky.

Doesn't B&M sell some battery powered lights with a similar beam? Not sure that they are as powerful as the Saferide, or as good, but they are an option.

znomit

Enlightened
Doesn't B&M sell some battery powered lights with a similar beam? Not sure that they are as powerful as the Saferide, or as good, but they are an option.
Yes, probably the IXON IQ Premium is the way to go. Source from Europe to save a few $.
http://www.peterwhitecycles.com/b&m.asp

The saferide gets good reviews but people also complain about it turning itself off prematurely and some mounting issues.

Savvas

Enlightened
...The saferide gets good reviews but people also complain about it turning itself off prematurely and some mounting issues.

My Saferides have been utterly reliable. I run them on all of the time - day and night. I have heard that owners of the very-similar-in-appearance Philips lights with internal batteries (Freeride?) may have had some problems with the lights turning themselves off arbitrarily but I've not heard of the dynamo-driven Saferides having such issues. Very, very fine lights and great value in my book. Bike24 still have stock! The Phillips rear dynamo light is also a corker!

Sam