Seiko's glow retention

spacetroll

Newly Enlightened
For lack of a better term I'm talking about the watches ability to continue to glow in the absence of light.

The other day I wrapped my new Seiko automatic diver, the classic one, in a soft cloth and put it in my Carhart jacket pocket and snapped the flap shut. This was at about 10:00 in the morning, there it sat all day when I remembered it just before bed, I actually retreived it using no light and went to bed, when my eyes adjusted I could read it just fine. It sat in total darkness for 11 hours and was still glowing and readable, who needs tritium?

EngrPaul

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have both technologies.

Tritium isn't that bright unless you are in almost total darkness, enough to not be able to read the face (fortunately).

Phosphor paint is brighter and is very visible before you can't see the face anymore. I agree overnight it's still readable, but then again your eyes have adjusted to the darkness while you sleep.

It would be nice if they had some white LED's to recharge the phosphor somehow... :)

Lee1959

Flashlight Enthusiast
Tritium is better for extended periods of darkness, it stays constant, while luminous paints do decay slowly and grow dimmer even if still able to be seen. In ties when you do not want to be seen charging your watch, this can be important.

They each truly do have their strong points. For diving, the luminous paint like on Seikos really shines brightly and is easier to pick up in my experience. If you want to make it REALLY glow, hit it with a UV flashlight, it will cause comment in places like movie theaters, lol.

jymkym_1

Newly Enlightened
I have a seiko "Orange Monster" and the brightness and glow retention are one of the best, especially for the price.....

EngrPaul

Flashlight Enthusiast
My Pulsar PUA109 dial is about like the Monster... for a leeetle bit less money :)