Selfbuilt's 100-Yard Outdoor Beamshots *UPDATE SEPT 2010* - now 34 lights!

selfbuilt

Flashaholic
Written by tights24 on 01-27-2011 06:12 PM GMT

Awesome reviews. I am probably a level below rookie if possible with these types of lights. All I ever knew was that Surefire lights were expensive and the best. After a decent amount of research, I have found that at least the second part of that statement is true....I'm in the market for a light and its main purpose will be for search and rescue. While high power and throw is important per se, I need it to last at a decent level. I understand that the last thing you plan on doing is listening to a request from a new guy, but it sure would be interesting to see the testing you are doing on "med" mode for each of these as well as the "turbo/high" mode I think you are using. Right now the Olight M20S has my attention because it offers a supposed 12 hours at 100+ lumens. That to me is very respectable compared to others. I'm also trying to stay with anything that uses 2 cr123's max. I'm not into the rechargeables and probably never will be really. Again, thanks for the reviews and the time you put into this hobby
Written by selfbuilt on 01-28-2011 08:11 AM GMT

:welcome:

The performance of lights on Med modes is of course critical, even for throwers. However, Med-level beamshots get quite difficult to compare, since the precise Med level will vary greatly. I suggest you head over to my detailed reviews of any light you see here and are interested in. There, you will find the runtimes and relative outputs on Med-modes, on various batteries (although not always CR123A).

selfbuilt

Flashaholic
Written by tights24 on 01-28-2011 11:46 AM GMT

However, Med-level beamshots get quite difficult to compare, since the precise Med level will vary greatly.
True enough. I'd imagine when you do this as much as some of you guys do, you kind of have a feel for what 115 advertised lumens looks like compared to say 60 lumens. I also get the feeling that regardless of which I choose, when talking about this level of light by Fenix, Olight, 4sevens etc, they will all surpass a relatively cheap no name 7 led flashlight from ****'s Sporting Goods. hahahaha. True enough. I'd imagine when you do this as much as some of you guys do, you kind of have a feel for what 115 advertised lumens looks like compared to say 60 lumens. I also get the feeling that regardless of which I choose, when talking about this level of light by Fenix, Olight, 4sevens etc, they will all surpass a relatively cheap no name 7 led flashlight from ****'s Sporting Goods. hahahaha.

Thanks for the reviews. I'm actually seriously considering the Fenix PD31 since it has a decent runtime on a comparably high medium setting. Advertised of course. If I pull the trigger I will try to post my own review with night shots for all to see. I haven't found one yet for that model on here. Thanks again for your time and help.
Written by hoebawt on 01-28-2011 10:38 PM GMT

great pics really helpful thanks
Written by Riverwind on 02-03-2011 07:53 PM GMT

Thank you selfbuilt for the great work of art you're doing with all these pictures and data sheets.

I'd like to ask you a big favour. I have the great Eagletac M3C4 3xR5, and I'm so happy with it, but I'd eventually like to know how does it compare with the new Fenix TK-35, so... If you could add the Tk-35 to the Outdoor Beamshots would be fantastic.

Thank you again for your brilliant investment to all the flashaholics around the world. I have the M3C4 thanks to you. :)

PS: Sorry for my poor English...I hope you understand it.
Written by billywilly02341 on 02-06-2011 05:56 PM GMT

wow that is one powerful flashlight.

Written by selfbuilt on 02-08-2011 07:33 AM GMT

Riverwind said:
If you could add the Tk-35 to the Outdoor Beamshots would be fantastic.
Glad you are enjoying the comparisons. I have no immediate plans to test the TK-35. I typically leave it up to manufacturers to suggest and supply lights for review, and I have not been contacted about the TK-35. Glad you are enjoying the comparisons. I have no immediate plans to test the TK-35. I typically leave it up to manufacturers to suggest and supply lights for review, and I have not been contacted about the TK-35.

selfbuilt

Flashaholic
Written by HeyGuysWatchThis on 02-08-2011 08:09 PM GMT

selfbuilt said:
Glad you are enjoying the comparisons. I have no immediate plans to test the TK-35. I typically leave it up to manufacturers to suggest and supply lights for review, and I have not been contacted about the TK-35.
Just out of curiosity, do you ever turn down a light offered for review? Just out of curiosity, do you ever turn down a light offered for review?
Written by selfbuilt on 02-09-2011 07:18 AM GMT

Yes. As a general rule, I have a hard time saying no Yes. As a general rule, I have a hard time saying no ;), but I do turn down lights that don't seem to be worth my reviewing time. I also turn down requests for multiple lights in a family (i.e. I ask they just send one or two, not every possible battery configuration). The reviews take a lot of time, and I frequently get swamped with too many samples on hand for testing.

selfbuilt

Flashaholic
The main review post has been updated with the final review text.

The thread discussions for the last few months have been fully restored from the search engine cache data (thank you tandem!).

Please carry on! :)

Last edited:

Edog006

Newly Enlightened
Love it. Great work as always. I have an XM-L light and they are impressive LEDs. Amazing color temperature and flawless beam. They are a bit floody, but the massive output is worth it.

Latest posts