Severe Health Problem caused by LED Flashlight

Status
Not open for further replies.

Slickseth

Newly Enlightened
For what it's worth, I've had batteries vent right in front of me many times, and it has never caused me any immediate health problems. I'm not advocating this kind of carelessness, just letting you know that catching a whiff of the fumes, although not a good idea, probably won't kill you. Of course, if you already have a medical condition, the effects could certainly be amplified. Also, the psychological effect (paranoia due to the unknown repercussions) can also cause you to feel very ill. In any case, a trip to the doctor is never a bad idea.

Last edited:

ckc

Newly Enlightened
Go get the MSDS (Material Safety Data Sheet) from 4sevens ASAP. If there was a venting of gas, the MSDS will list what it is, and the emergency precautions to take. do not take any risks with your health, especially your lungs.. if it's something that yo need to get to a Dr's asap then you should.. the MSDS will tell you (plus it's good to take to the Dr's later when you do see them)

http://support.radioshack.com/msds/2300155C_MSDS.pdf

I found an MSDS for a "generic" CR123, and under exposure to interal components it lists..

Inhalation:
Leave Area Immediatly and seek medical attention

Toxicology Info:
IF cells are opened through misuse or damage, discard immediatly
Internal components of cell are irritants and sensitizers.

Last edited:

nbp

Flashaholic
It was not a phantom smell, as my wife smelled it also.

I came down with a fever after a couple of hours, and everything associated with that (chills, delirium, weakness, etc.). I also feel lightheaded at times.

I'm not here looking for comfort. My problem was caused by a flashlight, so it's logical that I ask CPFers 1. if such a problem occurs regularly, and 2. what might reasonably be assumed to be the cause. Obviously, I am seeking medical help from a doctor.

No, it doesn't occur regularly. While it is not impossible that the batteries emitted a malevolent gas, it is important to remember in any situation that one of the main rules of good science is "Correlation does not equal causation". Barring catastrophic failure of the cells and significant inhalation of the resultant fumes, I would find the rather serious symptoms noted above unlikely to be caused by the batteries. The simple fact that you fell ill in close proximity to using your flashlight does not necessarily mean the flashlight CAUSED the illness. To me, those symptoms sound indicative of a more serious problem or illness, not related to the flashlight, and as such, professional assessment is a must. Best wishes with your recovery.

SuLyMaN

Enlightened
I am of the opinion too that your health provlems might not be the result of your flashlight. However, mentioning the flashlight by name without being 100% sure of the cause of your illness is kind of prejudiciable to the manufacturer

sent from my mob. Excuse misspelling. thanks!

Fireclaw18

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sounds like one of the cells vented. Either it was defective, or maybe its voltage got too low and got reverse charged by the other cell.

Contact your doctor immediately. Your symptoms are severe enough you might also try calling the emergency room and your local poison control center. My understanding is that some of the fumes that are emitted from Lithium batteries when reverse charged can be very toxic.

Vortus

Flashlight Enthusiast
The mentioned symptoms are reason to visit a clinic or emergency room. Don't wait for an appointment.

Last edited by a moderator:

yellow

Flashlight Enthusiast
imho that is simply a mismatch of connection:

the "results" somehow sound almost like a stroke and will - most certainly - have nothing to do with the cells
(as most anyone of us have already inhalated such smelly whatever-gas-it-was from any cell chemistry one can think of)

IMMEDIATELY VISIT EMERGENCY

eh4

Flashlight Enthusiast
Farlark, the link that tam17 provided has your answer. Hope you've gotten medical attention and are feeling better.

chmsam

Flashlight Enthusiast
No one here can tell what happened and few would be expert enough to tell even if they were there when it happened. But that doesn't matter.

As has been said many times before in many different forums, forums are no place to get medical advice and especially emergency medical advice.

Symptoms like those could be from a dozen or more ailments and while a few might be mild the balance of them are serious enough to warrant not delaying an ER visit for an hour let alone a weekend.

Holiday or not doctors almost definitely have an on-call service that should be called and emergency rooms are open 24/7.

I have seen way too many internet forum posts like this from otherwise intelligent people. When in doubt, pick up a phone, call a doctor, and listen to what they tell you.

nein166

Flashlight Enthusiast
:sick2: Hydrofluoric acid vapor WOW thats some nasty stuff in those CR123As
Remember once you put 2 or more cells in a light don't take them out and mix them around in other lights
Your likely to have one cell reverse charge the other and then venting can happen
Treat your CR123As like they are getting married when they go in a light, together until death do they part.

Every time I read these threads I have a stronger urge to buy a ZTS tester

Farlark hope you recover fully and feel better

Status
Not open for further replies.