SF A2: greenLED's comparison of LED colors (with pics)

lasercrazy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: A2: greenLED's 4-way comparison

Hey green, what do you think of the tailstand ability on my A2?

greenLED

Flashaholic

lasercrazy said:
Hey green, what do you think of the tailstand ability on my A2?
I have the same tailguard (from oregonshooter) on my L1. I think it's a great addition to the light. I also similar tailguards from nekomane, for my e2e.

greenLED

Flashaholic

Pics comparing LED colors, etc. are up - still working on it.

VWTim

Enlightened

Hopefully Green can get all the photo's sorted. We sat in his office for a long time last night trying to figure out what the pictures were that he took. TOO many shots :)

greenLED

Flashaholic

Hey, we're on-line at the same time.

Many, many thanks for your help, VWTim!! It's loads of fun to catch up with you.
:twothumbs

I should mention - VWTim brought some "dim" hotwires last night... one of them was so pathetically dim, it lit up the room brighter than the ceiling lights!! :eek:
:drool:

greenLED

Flashaholic

OK, all pics are up.

More white LED units are on their way to me, and I'll update that next week when I have time.

Enjoy.

lasercrazy

Flashlight Enthusiast

Very nice. :) Yes you can keep my A2 longer to compare it against bwaites mods.

marxs

Enlightened

Sorry if I misunderstood but did you just post the pics or will be posting the pics when you have the time? :ohgeez: Oh and glad to see your still sticking around cpf!

:goodjob:

greenLED said:
OK, all pics are up.

greenLED

Flashaholic

marxs said:
Sorry if I misunderstood but did you just post the pics or will be posting the pics when you have the time? :ohgeez: Oh and glad to see your still sticking around cpf!

Pics of white LED A2's are still pending - those I'll post when I get a chance to do that.

I still have some pending projects here that I need to finish (this review is one of those). You'll see me around, not as actively as before, though.

greenLED

Flashaholic

Ta-da! Finally done. All beamshots are posted, and white LED comparison is done. I'll send all remaining lights by tomorrow morning, well padded, with DC and insurance.

tsl

Enlightened
Re: A2: greenLED's comparison of LED colors

greenLED said:
Incandescent lamp comparison:

The snow LED A2 had a noticeable blueish aura surrounding the incan hotspot. I think this relates back to those LEDs having this really diffuse (wide, smooth area) light blue corona. I hypothesize the incan's hotspot is not large enough to cover the blueish remaining from the LEDs ... I did not notice any blueish tint when comparing the stock white LED A2's, neither could I tell any difference between the beams of these two lamps.

First, greenLED, this is fantastic work. Thank you!!!

You mentioned in your original review about the effect of the snow LEDs on the incan beam. Did you notice any effects from the THC3 and SMJLED on the incan beam?

greenLED

Flashaholic

tsl said:
You mentioned in your original review about the effect of the snow LEDs on the incan beam. Did you notice any effects from the THC3 and SMJLED on the incan beam?
Nope. I think the yellowish tint of the THC3's match the incan tint, so the blueish area (it's very light, nowhere near angry blue Nichia tint) I noticed on the snow LED - or, I wasn't looking close enough.

Marxs, I'm glad this is useful.

bwaites

Flashlight Enthusiast

WOW!!

A great review!!

This, combined with js review of the A2, is truly an OPUS MAGNUM of the A2!

The THC3's are only "yellowish" when compared with the blue tint that we have come to associate with "white" 5mm LED's. They are actually very close to a warm WO binned Luxeon!

I chose the THC3 LED's specifically because they are bright and come VERY close to matching the incan color. (At least as close as any 5mm LED I've found!)

My eyes, I am finding, are VERY sensitive to blue, and while some feel that XO binned LED's are the closest to white, I feel very differently. My white is a high temp incan, and the THC3's come close to that.

I liked the Snow White LED's until I saw the THC3's. The Snow Whites are certainly less blue than stock, but the THC3's are so close to the incan that I couldn't be happier!

In the real world, it probably doesn't make much difference, but I like the contrast that comes with the warmer color temp. (No more of that "walking on the moon" feeling that comes from bluish LED's!)

The THC3's are very bright, and offer a very nicely diffused beam, ideal for how I use my A2.

Bill

Last edited:

lasercrazy

Flashlight Enthusiast
I wonder if the blue a2 will ever show up? :lolsign: I can't wait to get my light back, I was starting to feel naked without it. :D

milkyspit

Flashlight Enthusiast

bwaites said:
(No more of that "walking on the moon" feeling that comes from bluish LED's!)

Bill

Hey! As an LED guy, I take exception to that remark! I'll bet the modder of your snow white A2 does, too! :rant:

Oh wait, that's me! :laughing: ;)

(I did both the snow white and THC3 LEDectomies to bwaites' A2's, so guess I'm covered either way!) :)

GreenLED, all ribbing of Bill aside, this is a terrific review you've put together, and one that hasn't seen much coverage here on CPF, at least not as compared with various other topics. Thanks for providing all with this service!
:bow: :bow: :bow: :bow:

EV_007

Enlightened
Wow, awesome review and excellent pics greenLED! Very thorough indeed.

Does the stock white LEDs outthrow the others?

Latest posts