SHOT Show 2011 Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

wyager

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wow... well, that law is pretty retarded, but it's still the law I guess...

wyager

Flashlight Enthusiast
DLF; who gives a rat's *** about bribery in this case? I don't understand how bribery in this situation would have hurt anyone- I wasn't clear on who was "bribing" whom, but if the customer was "bribing" the seller, that sounds like a down payment. If the seller was "bribing" the buyer, that sounds like a perfectly ethical business incentive that 90% of businesses utilize... So forgive me for not really giving a hoot.

LiveForNight

Newly Enlightened
Good Grief! Almost 18,000 posts! I thought greenLED was the champ. LOL

BTW: CES is the largest trade show that comes to town all year. Very good for Las Vegas. I thought you all might like to see the admission rules for CES to put things into perspective for all those that might be upset over the NSSF Shot Show communication.

Attendance Requirements
"The International CES is not open to the general public and all attendees must be in the consumer electronics (CE) industry to be eligible to attend the show. Due to the investment made by our exhibitors, International CES show management wants to ensure that its attendees are members of the trade. All attendees must provide two forms of ID: one photo ID and the other proving their affiliation with the CE industry (pay stub, business card, etc.). Attendees will not be admitted into the 2011 International CES without these two forms of ID. Children, friends and family who accompany you to Las Vegas will not be granted access to the International CES unless they are over the age of 16 and have proof of industry affiliation."

The reason 16 years old is chosen as the minimum age is because the U.S. Department of Labor sets the minimum age for employment at 14. It also limits the number of hours worked by minors under the age of 16. Over 16 and you can be a full time employee qualifying for attendance to the event.

Last edited:

mcnair55

Flashlight Enthusiast
I cannot see what all the fuss is about,if it is industry only,so be it,joe punter is just a massive pain in the bum.Through work I have to attend a show we do here at the NEC in Birmingham UK for industry only.We are there to take orders for new product and introduce ourselves to new trade buyers not to piddle about with joe dreamer.Joe wants to know this that and the other and consumes your time with no order in your book.

For peeps who have never worked a show,they are tiring and brain draining.You are on your feet all day,talking all day,trying to snatch something to eat is a game in itself.

N162E

Enlightened
A law prohibiting bribery/kickbacks is "pretty retarded"? Lemme guess, ethics teacher?

DLF; who gives a rat's *** about bribery in this case? I don't understand how bribery in this situation would have hurt anyone- I wasn't clear on who was "bribing" whom, but if the customer was "bribing" the seller, that sounds like a down payment. If the seller was "bribing" the buyer, that sounds like a perfectly ethical business incentive that 90% of businesses utilize... So forgive me for not really giving a hoot.
Government Official?

MrBadExample

Newly Enlightened
I think the problem with this is that even though it is an industry only show, many manufacturers seem to advertise and aim their marketing at many of the general public or consumers regarding the show. It is not uncommon to read many articles or see tv programming about upcoming products to be released at SHOT. It does (inadvertantly...or not) draw attention to the show from beyond just the industry involved individuals.

The SEMA show also gets much outside the industry press, if your into cars/trucks and custom gear/equipment.

Maybe the manufacturers might consider having a day when the public might attend as these shows do draw much attention from many interested individuals.

Frankly, if I can't go then thats fine with me....after all, I think I could find a few other things to keep me occupied in Vegas....:devil:

USACelt

Newly Enlightened
You do have to understand that SHOT is actually an industry meeting... this isn't designed to entertain average Joe.
I've never been, but I have seen pictures. It's named the National Sport Shooting Foundation. With that said I don't know what animal you hunt with full auto weapons. I see a lot of things that are there only to get the blood flowing of grown male children. Nothing wrong with that, but don't tell me it's a show for your local hunting/fishing store to go to and see new products. Be honest and say "it's a private party you aren't invited". JMO

dizzy

Flashlight Enthusiast
I guess I'm lucky to have gone LAST YEAR! At least I can say I was there, back in the good ol' days. :)

Rothrandir

Flashaholic
I think what leaves a bad taste in my mouth is that for me, and I think a lot of other CPF'ers, SHOT has kind of become something an expected CPF event. I completely understand why they don't want Joe Blow walking in off the street, but just the fact that it's been open to us (intentionally or not) for the last eight years or so and now it's not, it's more than a little disappointing.

Many of us who have attended in previous years do have legitimate reasons to go. How many people still plan on attending? I'd bet that many CPFers can still get into the show, they'd just have to find their own way to do so. Should a new thread be started for those of us planning to still attend? Because as I said in an earlier post, if I'm going to be one of the only ones there, I might just cancel my trip.

Size15's

Flashaholic
Given the sensitivity surrounding attending the trade show I think it far more sensible to concentrate discussion on the CPF gatherings/parties in Vegas at that time.

fyrstormer

Banned
You do have to understand that SHOT is actually an industry meeting... this isn't designed to entertain average Joe.
Does it need to be designed to entertain the average Joe? If Joe can attend and admire the work the exhibitors do, without interfering with the professional contacts and communication that the show is intended to facilitate, why not let them in? Seems pretty narrow-minded to me, but...well, it's not my shindig, I guess they can do whatever they want with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.