SHOT Show 2014 - CPF Get-Together

Status
Not open for further replies.

Greta

Flashaholic
SHOT Show 2014 in Las Vegas is coming up fast! The dates for the show are January 14-17, 2014. Here is the main SHOT Show website.

So here's the idea for a CPF get together this coming year -

It is my hope and desire that ALL members of CPF can get together to meet each other, re-meet each other and basically just share what brought us all together here in these forums to begin with - LIGHT! To that end, as I said, ALL members of CPF will be welcome. That includes ALL manufacturers, distributors, dealers, modders, administrators, moderators, etc. Manufacturers and Dealers will not necessarily need to be a paying sponsor (Authorized Manufacturer or Authorized Dealer) in order to attend. There will be no requirement for any manufacturer or dealer to provide products for give-aways. As a matter of fact, I would rather the whole "give-away" and "free stuff" thing were eliminated altogether! However while I will not require or encourage such activity, I will not discourage it either. If in fact a manufacturer or dealer would like to provide a product or two (and I *DO* mean that literally - a product or two!), that will be fine.

But here's the main point - This get together will be sponsored by CPF… in other words - *ME*. There are still a lot of details to be worked out but for now the plan is first to start a little bit later than past parties (around 7:00 - 7:30?) so that anyone who would like to attend can go back to their hotel, clean up if so desired, grab some dinner and then come to the party for desserts and beverages and an atmosphere of camaraderie for everyone. My hope and dream is that all members will get to meet the manufacturers and dealers they do business with and/or have considered doing business with without the "draw" of free stuff and/or the promotion of any one product or product line. The show itself is for that kind of stuff - I just want us to have a relaxed evening of visiting, sharing and getting to know each other. I would LOVE for the manufacturers and dealers to be able to take a few minutes (and I do mean ONLY a few minutes!!) to introduce themselves to you and tell you a bit about themselves and their products without feeling as if they are in competition with any other there (invitations will be sent out to manufacturers and dealers explaining all of that).

So anyway… this is basically a "feeler" to see who would be interested in attending such an event. I can tell you now that this party *WILL* be happening. It will be the *ONLY* official CPF-sponsored/endorsed get together. There may or may not be a small donation required to attend. Bottom line is that I will be ok if only 10 people show up or choose to attend. We will have a great time regardless and we will be there because we truly want to "get together" as opposed to getting free food, alcohol and "stuff".

At this time, I am looking at getting a suite at Harrah's on Wednesday evening, January 15th for the party. This would make the party centrally located to the show, many great places to eat and the hotels most of you will be staying in.

Once I get RSVP's from the manufacturers and dealers who will attending, I will be posting that list.

As I said, there are still some things to work out but this is the basic idea of what I want to do. So who would be interested in coming and would you be willing to make a donation of say $5-10 per person to offset the costs?

Last edited:

Greta

Flashaholic
I guess I'm disappointed that there has been no response to this. So all anyone is interested in is free stuff? Huh - guess I misjudged. Oh well… it will give me a chance to get to know the vendors then… :)

TEEJ

Flashaholic
I JUST noticed this thread, perhaps it was burried?

Anyway, I'd love to attend something like that. My schedule is hard to predict THAT far in advance though, but, I'm DEFINITELY interested.

Greta

Flashaholic
Thanks Teej… :)

Maybe if I put a notice at the top of the pages directing people to this thread? I'll work something up.

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic
Thread is stickied. Yes, it would be good if it featured CPF people, and allowed them to bring their stuff to show off, and get to meet each other. Did not happen this year. I enthusiastically support your venue. Patty will like it too. Thanks,

Bill

Gene43

Enlightened
I just found this thread. Unless something weird happens and we can't make it to SHOT this year, Todd and I will be there. The CPF get togethers are always great fun. I get to hang out with flashlight people who get it!

Gene Malkoff

Gene43

Enlightened
I too favor the social aspect of it, just hanging out and checking out all the cool lights people bring with them. Free booze and stuff are not a necessity, but are certainly welcome.

Gene

Greta

Flashaholic
I thought that PK had hijacked the party back from Matt for 2014?? Or, was that the alcohol talking?? In any event, I'll support/attend whatever it turns out to be!

PK will be there… ;)

Matt is welcome to have his party if he wants. However I would respectfully ask that he make it a "Battery Junction/ShorePower Party". As I said above, the only official CPF party that will be endorsed/sponsored by CPF will be this one that I will be having.

Last edited:

Bimmerboy

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think this is a great idea, and like it very much because it gets a lot closer to the original core spirit of CPF.

While I won't be able to make it out, I just wanted to show some moral support, and would LOVE to attend if this happens again for 2015.

paintballdad

Enlightened
Although I have been out of the CPF loop for a while, this is certainly an event I would like to attend. I will definitely try to get some time off in January.

Greta

Flashaholic
Thanks for the feedback gentlemen… :) I will be heading up to Vegas this coming weekend for the International Baking Industry Expo and will be meeting with the concierge at Harrah's to see what they can do for us. I will keep you all updated here. Meanwhile… pencil in the CPF Get-together for 7:00PM on Wednesday, January 15th on your calendars!! :party:

Beamhead

Flashlight Enthusiast
If I finally make it to sin city for the first time I would like free stuff............:p:kiss: That being said I agree the meeting and getting to know our fellow flashaholics is priceless it's been a while since I have been to a get together so perhaps I might have to finally make a Shot Show.

GoinHot

Newly Enlightened
Thank you for putting this together. I am the buyer for a store that has made the decision to begin offering lights in 2014 so one of my top agenda items is to get the correct relationships started. I would really like to be able to see vendors on the show floor and maybe catch up with them later at the party. Meeting members would also be a great way to get real world feedback on what works.

MrMom

Enlightened
Kel, I remember our first CPF gatherings. Then, it was a few flashlight geeks with 5mm mods and talks about the first high power 1 watt LED due out soon. No prizes, no big venue yet, we had a great time. Door prizes are nice but the true treasure is in the connections and bonds developed throught the years. It is the CPF community and members which bring me back to SHOT each year.

Last edited:

Greta

Flashaholic
A couple of things...

Looks like it is going to be a little more difficult this year for the "average Joe" to get into SHOT. I'm even having to jump through additional hoops this year to get my badge. I know I'll get it but have to provide more documentation this year than in the past. Looks like guest passes might be a thing of the past and near impossible to get.

Harrahs will not guarantee me a suite in advance. The best they will do for that is if there is one available on the day I want it, they will let me book it. I'd rather not leave it to chance like that. I can however book a small conference room in advance and I am considering that. Granted it will not be as "intimate" as we are used to but I'm thinking it could be made nice. I have a few ideas ;) ... And there is another option I'm thinking about - I'll need to do some more checking before I discuss it.

Status
Not open for further replies.