Show us your bike light set-up

Antec

Newly Enlightened
how do I insert a pic?

In photobucket, COPY the direct link of the picture and paste it between these w/o the ""

"
"

fyrstormer

Banned
Browsed their site but could not find the model "M60F". They must continually change model codes after each run. I was hoping they had just the diffusion lens
for sale as an accessory but no such luck.
:shrug:

At least I know what to look for now. thanks
The M60 series is discontinued. Oveready still sells them. Elzetta does too.

Antec

Newly Enlightened
Found something a lot like the one you got but it needs some modding. Still it's less than $3 for 2 pcs lens. Hope it produces that giant spot like in your pic.:grin2:

would have been a tough decision to buy the whole drop-in when all I need is the diffuser.

Intl-outdoor's DIY section.

fyrstormer

Banned
It wasn't a tough decision for me, partly because I didn't have a drop-in yet, and partly because I wanted something with good runtime and super-durable, so it wouldn't fail when it gets banged around. Malkoff was what came to mind when I thought of those requirements. I'm actually kinda happy I finally found a use for their products; I've never had any interest in a single-mode flashlight big enough to host a P60 drop-in, but a headlight doesn't need multiple modes.

Antec

Newly Enlightened
Well, yes the drop-in looks superbly built. In my case, with three drop-ins on hand and one on the way, my paypal funds may be better utilized on other items.

One thing though, at Oveready, the M60F lists these specs:

• Cree XR-E LED
  • Cool white Tint Beam
  • Approximately 235 lumens

Yet by just looking at your indoor beamshot, I would have guessed the emitter to be an XM-L @500+ lumens. Could it just be the camera settings?

In any case, that is a fine choice as a bike light.:thumbsup:

fyrstormer

Banned
It's definitely not 500 lumens. The rating is about right compared to what I've seen from other flashlights rated in the ~250 lumen range. The optic just spreads out the light very effectively and with minimal loss.

It would be cool to see what an XM-L version would look like, though. Given how floody the XM-L is anyway, using one in a diffused application seems like it would make the best use of the emitter's properties.

Yes, it does make a fine bike light. I liked it enough that I bought a second identical setup for my other bike. It would be nice if it had a bit more throw, but it has a useful amount of throw, and the spill is extremely useful for seeing and for being seen. I've noticed cars being much more cautious around me since I've started using it.

Antec

Newly Enlightened
Is there is any chance you can post some outdoor shots of this thing in action? :)

With my limited experience, I can expect that at 250 lumens on a P60 host, heat build up is a non-issue. Even if it's used here where the average ambient temp is around 30C, no problem.

I've tried using frosted pieces of plastic as a diffuser with less than acceptable results.

Intl-outdoor calls their's a "beaded surface" lens.

The waiting time per order can be painfully long here (3 weeks to a month). At least it's something to look forward to.:)

fyrstormer

Banned
I'll try. My camera isn't excellent in low-light, though, so it might just produce a picture that looks stunningly bright, surrounded by blackness. I guess I'll see how it goes.

Oh...and it's supposed to rain for the next two days. This could take a while.

EDIT: I see the optic you're looking at. It's not the same as the Malkoff optic. Malkoff says their flood optic has a 20-degree beam, whereas their throw optic has an 8-degree beam. Obviously the spill is wider than that, but that's the definition of the hotspot anyway. So the optic you're looking at will produce a much wider beam.

Last edited:

Antec

Newly Enlightened
I'm actually still a bit fuzzy on the beam angle specifics. If it's the reflector part or the beaded lens part that will determine either a 45 degree or a 60 degree beam.

The pictures at Intl-outdoor unfortunately do not show the inside surface of the "white housing" if it has a reflective finish or just the same as the outside.

I was planning on discarding the housing part and simply sticking the beaded lens in front of my XM-L drop-in's OP reflector, hoping for the desired result.:)

Antec

Newly Enlightened
I have recently acquired an SForce L2M also. But for my XM-L drop-in, the UFire host seems better suited. It feels a lot beefier, though the build quality leaves much to be desired. The threading is rough and the finish is most likely scratch prone.

L2M_2.jpg

The bike itself is crying out for a new handle bar post and more comfortable handle bars...
I'll get to it when the lights are complete.:sweat:

bike-light.jpg

fyrstormer

Banned
I'm actually still a bit fuzzy on the beam angle specifics. If it's the reflector part or the beaded lens part that will determine either a 45 degree or a 60 degree beam.

The pictures at Intl-outdoor unfortunately do not show the inside surface of the "white housing" if it has a reflective finish or just the same as the outside.

I was planning on discarding the housing part and simply sticking the beaded lens in front of my XM-L drop-in's OP reflector, hoping for the desired result.:)
Those lenses are TIR optics. There is no reflective coating. The light reflects off the molecular interface between the optic's rear surface and the air surrounding it.

The beam angle in a TIR optic primarily depends on the depth of the optic. They usually produce very tight beams, so they are often at least partly diffused by a textured front surface.

Last edited:

Antec

Newly Enlightened
Tried to do a quick read on the subject and found this. It's in some form of alien language so I'll just have to wait for the optics to actually try it out.:thinking:

Total internal reflection is an optical phenomenon that happens when a ray oflight strikes a medium boundary at an angle larger than a particular critical anglewith respect to the normal to the surface. If the refractive index is lower on the other side of the boundary and the incident angle is greater than the critical angle, no light can pass through and all of the light is reflected. The critical angle is the angle of incidence above which the total internal reflection occurs.

fyrstormer

Banned
Have you ever sat at the bottom of a swimming pool and looked at the surface of the water? Light reflects off the inside surface of the water. The same thing happens with a TIR optic.

Antec

Newly Enlightened
From what I can understand:banghead:, the precise shape and angle of the optic is needed for it to work efficiently. That would mean extensive R&D that Malkoff has probably done.

So what are the chances the one at intl-outdoor would perform nearly as good as Malkoff's? It's only a 3$ gamble in any case. If it improves on the beam profile of my XM-L using OP reflector even slightly, then the long wait for it to arrive would be worth it.:)

Last edited:

fyrstormer

Banned
The precise shape of most TIR optics is tuned to a Lambertian radiation pattern, which is what most LEDs are tuned to as well. That means most LEDs will work with most optics, though the exact shape of the beam will vary a little bit. The only LED that's significantly different is the Cree XR-E.

I don't know if an optic would improve the beam pattern on your XM-L emitter. It's a very subjective question. Personally I don't like optics unless they are diffused, the way my Malkoff M60F is. If you want more of a "wall of light" instead of a normal beam with a bright spot in the middle, the diffused optic would probably be better. I would buy each optic they offer, and use the one I like the best.

Last edited: