Show your lights with trits!

ffemt6263

Enlightened
My new trits just arrived! Now waiting for some parts back to put them in. I will certainly post them when i get them nestled into their new home!
c6e4c17f-c217-cec9.jpg

ffemt6263

Enlightened
Very nice smarkum. My parts came in today so i cant wait to get out of work to place the trits. Should have pics up tomorrow.

ffemt6263

Enlightened
Ok so after much fighting the norland has finally cured. These are some very crappy iphone pics and i hope to get some far better ones with a manual camera in the next few days but here goes. This is my mcgizmo pd that ive had done up over the last month an a half and it will be my new edc. It has been modded with a neutral xm-l and had the current bumped to 1050mah on high. Ive also added a peu bezel and sent the piston to precisionworks and set all blue trits in it. I love this light.
c6e4c273-7d0d-c638.jpg
c6e4c273-7d2f-966b.jpg
c6e4c273-7d5f-93b1.jpg

ffemt6263

Enlightened
Added. Here are some beamshots. Before the pd had a hicri in it. This is a new vs old. The control is a pd with seoul p4 on the left. The trit shot is the other pd with single green trit.
c6e4c273-8519-a1ea.jpg
c6e4c273-8527-be5c.jpg
c6e4c273-8539-62bc.jpg

precisionworks

Flashaholic
McGizmo Haiku with Twin Tail Trits (2x6mm outside, 1.5x5mm inside):

haiku7.jpg

Mirage Man Fatty with eight 1.5x5mm trits at each end:

mm4.jpg

SWM V10R Ti with three 2x6mm in the front collar of body:

9d487be2.jpg

rockingthe2

Newly Enlightened
Precisionworks,

That Sunwayman Battery Collar mod is pretty sweet! I'm thinking my light might get sent to you in a few months for the battery tube and bezel mods you guys do, could you post or PM me a price on the trit mod? Also, Please tell me that McGizmo Double Trit thing is going in Steve's 14500 Tubes! Actually, I'm heading over there to post that right now...

precisionworks

Flashaholic
Precisionworks,

That Sunwayman Battery Collar mod is pretty sweet! I'm thinking my light might get sent to you in a few months for the battery tube and bezel mods you guys do, could you post or PM me a price on the trit mod?

PM's are disabled so please email for more info.

Also, Please tell me that McGizmo Double Trit thing is going in Steve's 14500 Tubes! Actually, I'm heading over there to post that right now...
That's a great idea to put the TTT (twin tail trits) in the 14500 tubes but I never even thought about mentioning it to kuku. It requires a tail shroud of substantial thickness (2mm + 1.5mm + .4mm = 3.9mm or about 0.150"). That's a feature you'd certainly want to CNC mill into the tube while it's on the machining center. Cutting those on my manual milling machine took four hours.

Last edited:

yiyans

Newly Enlightened
Mohanjude,
Congrats on your new Ti acquisition.
Are these the new mod with 12 interchangeable trits ?

mohanjude

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks

Actually I had the fins drilled by a local machinist on his CNC machine. I have been wanting to have the finns drilled for a long time. The new Mod will complement what I have wanted to do for sometime. My aim is to take cooling fins of the Limited edition Ti2 - both black and Gold to have them drilled as well for the trits.

Mohan
Mohanjude,
Congrats on your new Ti acquisition.
Are these the new mod with 12 interchangeable trits ?

mohanjude

Flashlight Enthusiast
Better pics of the Yellow Trits? That looks sweet! Congrats on the find!

I find that with the large aperture setting the DOF - Depth of field becomes a problem.Anything that is just a few inches away becomes out of focus due to the the large open aperture. The other option is to keep the aperture size small and hava a longer exposure by decreasing shutter speed. I might go for 4-5 second shutter speed and keep the aperture small so that DOF doesnt cause multiple torches to be out of focus. The other problem I am finding is that in the dark my Sony Alpha is struggling to get the focus right using the AF setting. As I am using a viewfinder it is quite dififcult to see focus on manual as well.

I am going to try and photograph some trits in the dark to get the setting right

Mohan

precisionworks

Flashaholic
keep the aperture size small and have a a longer exposure by decreasing shutter speed. I might go for 4-5 second shutter speed and keep the aperture small so that DOF doesnt cause multiple torches to be out of focus.
+1

Trits are tough any time & DOF is almost always an issue. The image below took 75 seconds at f/11:

m4d.jpg

On the Haiku the front trits & rear trits have a lot of difference in depth. That image took 193 seconds at f/29. Nothing special about 193 seconds except that's how long it took to trip the shutter, stop by the restroom, wash & dry my hands, then close the shutter :)

haiku7.jpg

Focus on the rear trits is slightly soft but f/29 is almost f/32, the smallest aperature available on this lens. Another option would be to back the camera away to pick up more DOF & crop the image larger. I'd rather not do that if there's any way around it.

Last edited:

mohanjude

Flashlight Enthusiast
Barry

193 seconds... that is a long shutter time. I dont think my camera will hold its shutter open that long.. I thought 4-5 seconds was an eternity. I am not that camera savvy and need to check if I have the option of opening and closing the shutter manually. I am going to try that. I was using a 1.4 lens Prime to get the biggest aperture. Now I will use my regular lens and use your tip to use a small aperture to ensure good focus.