• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

Sold/Expired Sigma Customs

neutralwhite

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks.
yes, so much to read up on, but I'd like to see and try this lens for the first time and see how it is.
Mcgizmo uses it and Henry at hds mentioned it's only for bragging rights.

A good question.
There are several threads on this (google "sapphire lens" within CPF.)
Lots of opinions and very few hard (!) facts, as you might expect.

That said, sapphire seems to be the way to go for watches -- stronger, does not scratch easily.
It may be more a matter of prestige for a flashlight, but this is debatable.
McGizmo uses sapphire for his creations......

easilyled

Flashaholic
As far as I know, the Sapphire lens is much harder and far more scratchproof. Therefore harder to crack should a dreaded fall happen.

Everything has a tradeoff though. I think the Sapphire lets out 95% of the lumens compared to 99% for a standard glass lens with anti-reflective coatings. Therefore there is is a very slight lumen loss which is bound to be imperceptible compared with the standard lens.

Thetasigma

Flashlight Enthusiast
what made you choose the sapphire lens?
i have chosen it too as a change from the glass lens and hope its going to be ok.
seems tougher and my naughty son likes scratching lenses so i thought i best.

My reason for the sapphire is that I could find one in the size I wanted. I also appreciate the hardness of sapphires as my daily watch has one that despite rather rough daily wear and slamming into things, is still pristine, the stainless body however has lots of scratches, and a couple deep dents.
Some people like sapphires as a bragging right as well. Shock resistance and pure performance is likely better with an AR coated lens or UCL lens though, however the difference is negligible to the naked eye.

The lens I am sourcing is a 21x1.5mm uncoated sapphire. I wanted a 2mm but I couldn't find one that would sell retail.

Mobileschoney

Newly Enlightened
Heck I don't know benchrest, when I look at spreadsheet I show up in slot #53. I am using the iOS app to look at it, maybe it's hosed?
Regardless I am after you bud!

neutralwhite

Flashlight Enthusiast
thanks have you got a picture of the Sapphire Lens please?.
also can the clip be flamed coloured?.
i want to have a lanyard on the clip too if that can work.
thanks.

My reason for the sapphire is that I could find one in the size I wanted. I also appreciate the hardness of sapphires as my daily watch has one that despite rather rough daily wear and slamming into things, is still pristine, the stainless body however has lots of scratches, and a couple deep dents.
Some people like sapphires as a bragging right as well. Shock resistance and pure performance is likely better with an AR coated lens or UCL lens though, however the difference is negligible to the naked eye.

The lens I am sourcing is a 21x1.5mm uncoated sapphire. I wanted a 2mm but I couldn't find one that would sell retail.

Last edited:

Thetasigma

Flashlight Enthusiast
Getting eager here :)... would you please update me to sapphire lens and blue o-rings?
Done.

thanks have you got a picture of the Sapphire Lens please?.
also can the clip be flamed coloured?.
i want to have a lanyard on the clip too if that can work.
thanks.

No picture currently, I am waiting for my batch to arrive.

I do not currently do cosmetic alterations, so no lanyards or anodizing presently.

neutralwhite

Flashlight Enthusiast
OK thanks.
thanks for adding me on for a blue tail boot and blue glow sticker.

ive already asked for the all royal blue o rings-if you could make them all that light blue.

thank you bro.

Done.

No picture currently, I am waiting for my batch to arrive.

I do not currently do cosmetic alterations, so no lanyards or anodizing presently.

Last edited:

Thetasigma

Flashlight Enthusiast
OK thanks.
thanks for adding me on for a blue tail boot and blue glow sticker.

ive already asked for the all royal blue o rings-if you could make them all that light blue.

thank you bro.

I have no control over the color of rings, the ones in the photo above are the ones you would receive.

gunga

Flashaholic
I've had a couple different instances of blue orings. The blue can vary a lot and you never know quite whst you get. If you are very specific, budget $8 an oring for multiple orders and maybe you'll get the shade you want.

neutralwhite

Flashlight Enthusiast
these light blue ones look great.
i think these are the same colour Jason at prometheus lights use.
they'll do fine.
thanks.

I've had a couple different instances of blue orings. The blue can vary a lot and you never know quite whst you get. If you are very specific, budget $8 an oring for multiple orders and maybe you'll get the shade you want.

Thetasigma

Flashlight Enthusiast
Another update, from the current in progress lights forward, I am switching to a thermal adhesive to glue to array in place to avoid tension on the leads, and to keep the array from drifting off center. To account for this and some tooling I neglected to take into account, the prices will be adjusted by $5.

Test engine with the jig for setting the array position. Arctic Silver Thermal Adhesive was used for this job instead of the usual paste.
QJ8PRpILG7cmdbg1W5_BDuWKylhNT4vx7f8Of2mn_FKogdXyx3pF1gH3gyxhQmfsiOvXRDkQez3vWLvZqaZlUhZWnSp7bvySdeFhwm2a-3FB9Qq5FwbfzTHMWXly9nSqtxJmbi3vCHetGu2FffgokTWYemwd8Gi4HTk6qB9cB9TfD4K5hGBVtFFph5OCqIYzP_VmPja5Xze_Ez4SuzWeQSOmuhDXUbBxmgw7EAbF4hrKocY0tUUdpBB4d3uABSjAoIz4-FBI-rmbLp9f2Q7RUCk-bID0YuS7MWjjODk6Rz_yx59waMs254JTouSTU3dTy2leYSWJjnhKRv9Yt78FgqKkAveVd8ErpfdQM4s-oCx-voMpl5PetJF9Tgq_Mi9Fc8vDEPiXIiCUIXKn8nRmDeHChzFYdiRiSYfyaFrBLOMDId1p09KmkJ3GD8aitZ1kfrlA39WXVpqWYR0ah81I4O-UCKKcZgly5a3-zSBlW0avaFdICasJGeWpG3kZs-qIS2dcsRj5uDvoA9GIBFoiINQFsmetjIdcLbki347UpofFsjvk-6-pDkmQ0BgRcn6Kr1HYViLeexI-ydL3UQPmbmcb1gA8uOk=w1768-h1322-no