Simple 18650 headlight for elderly

ltec

Newly Enlightened
I'm buying a light for an elderly man who mechanics and farms and is always carrying around a aa torch to see.
I want to get him something reliable coz his other torches never last and fairly simple as he couldn't handle loads of modes etc and with a 18650 battery so it lasts a long time and it needs to be rechargeable in the torch to keep it simple.
The head torch needs to be used as a hand torch to so needs to lift of the head strap.
A good switch for old hands as the last olight I bought another old person had trouble using the soft small button.
It also would be better floody for close up work. I'm guessing lumens wise he uses 100 to 400 and crazy bright light isn't needed.
I like my own h03 skilhunt and thought maybe a h04r for him but I know nothing about them and they seem to be a lot more expensive now and seem to be hard to get in the UK. The other might be a fenix hm61r but they are fairly expensive at £90.
What other headlamps would you advise considering. Or even just a hand torch on its own if the headlamps aren't suitable?

xxo

Flashlight Enthusiast
This is a good 18650 head lamp, easy to use with built in charger.

ltec

Newly Enlightened
This is a good 18650 head lamp, easy to use with built in charger.
I dont think he'd like the loads of button presses to get back to the mode he wants or to turn it off but I'd say the levels ok.

KITROBASKIN

Flashlight Enthusiast
While an 18650 is a good, practical size for a substantial use headlamp, many older folks as well as seemingly most humans just are not going to practice good Li-ion battery protocol. Given the rare, yet possibly tragic consequences of neglet or ignorance, consider NimH or even Lithium Ferrous Phosphate (not aware of that option in smaller flashlights) as a much safer alternative. That may complicate in situ charging.

fulee9999

Enlightened
how about an ArmyTek Wizard? you can use it on medium for eternity ( both battery wise and knowledge-wise ) , one click activation/deactivation, fairly pronounced button, Nichia LED available from the factory, and uses magnetic charging

turbodog

Flashaholic

Maybe an incan w/ led replacement bulb?

DRW

Enlightened
First the gentleman flashlight will bow, then the lady 18650 will curtsy...
Very nice and civilized.

I was worried, perhaps the equivalent to having my thumb on the button, with all these rechargeable 18650/21700 lights.

ltec

Newly Enlightened
how about an ArmyTek Wizard? you can use it on medium for eternity ( both battery wise and knowledge-wise ) , one click activation/deactivation, fairly pronounced button, Nichia LED available from the factory, and uses magnetic charging
That one sounds good. It is coming in at £90 too. How does magnetic tale charging work in a garage? Does filings damage it for example or just wipe them off before charging.

ltec

Newly Enlightened

Maybe an incan w/ led replacement bulb?
Sorry I dont know what you mean.

fulee9999

Enlightened
That one sounds good. It is coming in at £90 too. How does magnetic tale charging work in a garage? Does filings damage it for example or just wipe them off before charging.
I have never heard of anyone having issues with filings or ferromagnetic dust causing issues, but if you wipe it clean it shouldn't be an issue. also the inner polarity is fairly recessed, so unless you dunk it in metal dust it shouldn't cause any trouble.
I'm not sure if it has a built-in mechanism that would protect the electronics if the charging port is shorted, but even if it doesn't, if you use a protected battery even that's not an issue.

3L3M3NT

Newly Enlightened
I'm going to recommend the Fenix HM61R even though you mentioned it's a little on the pricey side. Buy once, cry once. The reason I recommend it is that I'm a C4 quadriplegic and have very limited dexterity and usually have to use the knuckle on my thumb to turn it on.
To try and save some money on it, I'd be more than happy to have you ship it to me and then I could ship it to you.
https://www.fenixlighting.com/products/fenix-hm61r-multi-use-headlamp
Then you get 20% off as a new customer.

Some other options to consider are:
https://www.fenixlighting.com/products/fenix-hm50r-v2-rechargeable-headlamp
If you can find a Fenix HL60R: https://www.fenixlighting.com/products/fenix-hl60r-rechargeable-headlamp
https://skylumen.com/products/one-off-convoy-h1vn?_pos=5&_sid=cb42a2e0a&_ss=r
https://skylumen.com/products/matem...-thrower-headlamp?_pos=6&_sid=cb42a2e0a&_ss=r
https://skylumen.com/products/acebe...t-angle-headlamp?_pos=11&_sid=cb42a2e0a&_ss=r

Have you consider buying from Amazon?
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B075ZN5LJY/?tag=cpf0b6-20

Good luck and let me know if you need a proxy to get a certain headlamp in the US and then I can ship it to you. I've done this for a few people, but it was knives they couldn't get.

Hooked on Fenix

Flashlight Enthusiast
1000 lumen Energizer 18650/ 2 123A headlight. Costs around $35, sometimes less. Comes on at 400 lumen high. Wait 6 seconds to turn off so you don't have to cycle through lower modes. For normal use that shouldn't be a problem. Headlight detaches from bracket so you can use it as a flashlight.

D6859

Enlightened
I gave my ArmyTek Wizard (v3.0 with with magnetic charging) for my father as they live in a farm in the middle of a forest. I left the headlamp on second mode and told him how to change the mode if needed and showed him how to charge it. I just visited home last week and notice the headlamp was still on second mode :) My father must have managed to charge it since it's been 2 years since I gave it.

Elijah

Newly Enlightened
Just picked up one of these, and I can recommend:

I share the disdain for lots of modes, especially blinky modes, and I like this one just fine. It has 5 brightness levels for white and 3 for red, but it has a memory function, so once you figure out what you like (hold down the button to change brightness), it's essentially 1-click on, 1-click off - simple. Yes, it has all the damn blinky modes, but you can only access them through repeated clicks, so you don't encounter them unless you are looking for them. Also has USB-C charging, so you can juice up the 18650 without the charger. I have a few Nitecore and other, "better", more expensive headlamps, but this seems to have all the functionality without the cost. I probably would not use it as my primary headlamp for a caving expedition, but I would definitely pack it as a backup, and I think it's going to be my new go-to for around the house, working on the car, etc., as I like the 1-click simplicity, while still having access to the other modes when I actually need them. Oh, and maybe my favorite feature is the "moonlight", aka ultra-low setting. While it's off, just press and hold the button, and now you have a great reading/around camp light that should last a LONG time. For $20 with a battery, it's kind of hard to go wrong. Bought another headlamp that's almost the same (seems to use essentially the same driver), but it lacks the memory function, so I don't like it as much, hence why I'm not posting a link. No conflict of interest, just found a decent light for cheap and thought I would share.

-Eli

Dave_H

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Farpoint FLHR35206 is a flood/spot 18650 headlamp available at low cost (under other brands also). It has simple spot/flood/off sequence, no flashing. USB rechargeable, 1200mAh capacity is a bit low but OK. I just picked one up locally OTC for under $5.

I did discover than long press when on causes up or down dimming which is not in any instructions. However there is no "memory" of this setting, if switched off it come back on at full output.

One end is magnetic and can be used for small work light.

Dave