SL Strion...initial thoughts...beamshots added...

dano

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, thanks to the good folks at TTS I received a Streamlight Strion from UPS...

Overall, it's a mini Stinger. Similar construction, body design, reflector design and bi-pin bulb (NOTE: The Strion uses part number 74914 {3.7v/6.12w}for the bulb while Stingers use a 75914 {3.6v/6w} part number for the bulb. You may get a bit more light from a Strion bulb when used in a Stinger).

The tailcap switch is similar to the TL series. The battery stick is a tiny Li-Ion (2000MAH capacity) with the positive and negative terminals situated on one side. Has a glass lends, and the reflector looks like it unscrews from the bezel ring, unlike Stinger's where the assembly is a press fit.

Sorry, no beam descriptions, yet. It's charging...

--dan

Xrunner

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: SL Strion...initial thoughts...so far...

Dano, I also received mine and will be posting pictures tonight. Do you mind if I post them in this thread?

Overall I really like the light. Mine is slightly brighter than my Stinger, and about the size of my Scorpion. It feels well made and fits nicely in my hand, but is lighter than I first expected.

On a side note, Happy Birthday dano! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/party.gif

-Mike

dano

Flashlight Enthusiast

Thanks...I'm sooo old /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Yea, post 'em here...

--dan

nexro

Enlightened

Can't wait to see those beamshots.
Too bad I couldn't "grab" any from TTS as they were all gone when I noticed the thread /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

dano, Happy birthday! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/party.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

nexro

Bravo25

Flashlight Enthusiast

I didn't know these were even out yet. Are there any regular supplies of them anywhere?

Mr Ted Bear

Flashlight Enthusiast

I received my strion the day after tts posted that they were available. I had a lengthy review written, but pushed the wrong button, and everyting got lost.

anyways, here's couple of quick picks....
stinger battery vs the strion
28668852.jpg

what's not so apparent, unless one reads the instruction is that the battery has a voltage cutoff, much like the pila's and will simply shut off at a minimum voltage
28669054.jpg

a quick beam shot; 6p on left, strion on the rignt
taken in a well lit family room; distance 25 feet
28669285.jpg

for a 2x123 form factor size, this baby thows as well as an asp taclite

dano

Flashlight Enthusiast

Yea...The beam can be focused down to a really narrow spread, almost Pelican-light like. Overall brightness is about equal, maybe slightly better than a Stinger beam.

--dan

udaman

Banned

2000ma Li-Ion...interesting. That's higher capacity than any Pila. Can you take some measurements in mm with calipers?

What, nobody though of switching out the Stinger bulb and putting it into the Strion, instead of vice versa??? Should give very slight overdrive, maybe a bit brighter Strion, don't you think?

cy

Flashaholic

Who's going to be the first to stick a luxeon in this? What's the voltage of the lit-ion battery?

Nerd

Flashlight Enthusiast

Does the Strion have a lot of mass to take the heat of a 5 watt? How about a 3 watt at 1 amp? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Aux

Newly Enlightened

[ QUOTE ]
Mr Ted Bear said:
what's not so apparent, unless one reads the instruction is that the battery has a voltage cutoff, much like the pila's and will simply shut off at a minimum voltage

[/ QUOTE ]

Is that be a problem, for a tac light? Having it simply shut off could be an issue when you really need light. Any idea on how much "warning" (in terms of dimming output) there is before a shutdown?

MR Bulk

Flashaholic

[ QUOTE ]
cy said:
Who's going to be the first to stick a luxeon in this? What's the voltage of the lit-ion battery?

[/ QUOTE ]

Even though I bought one and have received it, guess it won't be me as I already have 300 other lights to stick Luxeons into...mebbe after them.

McGizmo

Flashaholic

Charlie,

I'll race you! I don't have the overwhelming build load that you do (I cringe at your task! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif) but then I don't have a Strion yet either. I missed a shot at TTS's first batch and am clueless as to where to go for one. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif So, want to race? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Afterall, we don't want to be shown up by Roth or one of those other Johnny come latelys! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

dano

Flashlight Enthusiast

Pics...
strion1.jpg
With a 6P and an E2e

strion2.jpg

strion3.jpg
With a Stinger...

strionbatt.jpg
Battery and two Dl-123's

strionguts2.jpg
Bulb area...

--dan

Kabible

Enlightened

The Strion snaps into it's charging clamp in the same way as the Stinger. Time to full charge is supposed to be 2.5 hours.

Streamlight.com will give more Info.

If the Strion is as durable as the two Stingers I've used daily for 8 years, I'll be a happy camper.

Brian

brightnorm

Flashaholic

Dan or Jeff,

Do you plan to do any runtime tests? Even an eyeball test would be helpful

Brightnorm