Small, pocket pointer that runs on "our" batteries?

bltkmt

Enlightened
I am looking for a small, pocketable laser pointer to use as a pet toy. We received one as a gift that is very small, but runs on cell batteries. I want one that runs on "normal" batteries for flashaholics - AA, AAA, CR123 or CR2. Any suggestions? Does not have to be anything powerful...just small and runs on one of the above battery types.

Thanks in advance.

csshih

Flashlight Enthusiast
just want to note that it'd be best to get a pointer that actually puts a low output out, which is actually hard-ish to find nowadays on "budget" pointers in colors other than red, so I recommend looking for a red one and not a green or blue!

flatline

Flashlight Enthusiast
Go to the hardware store and look for the cheap shower-head lights that run on 3xAAA. Some of them have laser pointers built in that act as a second mode.

Go to wikipedia and look at laser classifications. Make sure you know what class lasers can and can't cause eye damage.

The one I got was (I think) a IIIa class laser which isn't supposed to be able to cause permanent damage unless something further focuses the light.

--flatline

Netscott

Newly Enlightened
Yes, Z-Bolt is a standup company as well. They've also been around for years.

-Scott

bltkmt

Enlightened
Thanks for the suggestions, but are there not any that are smaller (single cell)? I would think someone has made one that runs off a single CR123, CR2 or AA/AAA?

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
Thanks for the suggestions, but are there not any that are smaller (single cell)? I would think someone has made one that runs off a single CR123, CR2 or AA/AAA?

Lighthound offers (or offered anyway) a red laser pointer that operates from a single AAA cell.

My evaluation of it is right here if you're interested.

It has a measured output power of 2.749mW at a wavelength (measured spectrographically) of 653.450nm; making it a CDRH Class IIIa laser product -- this simply means that it's legal to call it a "pointer" and it is reasonably "pet eye-safe" provided that you don't just sit there and let the beam cook in their eye for an extended period -- a brief accidental irradiation is perfectly harmless.

Netscott

Newly Enlightened
Just for edification purposes, at equal power output (ie: 5 mW) the apparent order of brightness to our human eyes of different wavelengths of common pointer lasers are going be as follows:

1. 532 nm green laser
2. 635 nm Red/Orange laser
3. 650 nm red laser

This based upon the fact that human color vision is most acute for ~ 555 nm (green). Essentially the closer you can get to this ideal wavelength the brighter the light is going to appear.

-Scott

bshanahan14rulz

Flashlight Enthusiast
Oh, but what about kitties? Do you think their vision is shifted towards wavelengths longer than 555 or shorter?

Netscott

Newly Enlightened
Oh, but what about kitties? Do you think their vision is shifted towards wavelengths longer than 555 or shorter?

It's hard to know actually. Based upon a study done in 1915 it was initially thought that cats were color blind but upon later examination of the cells of their eyes it was found that cats are equipped with cone cells. Cone cells in humans are known to be specialized for color. So another study was conducted that found that indeed cats could distinguish colors (not all mind you) but that it appeared to not be very important for them to be able to do so.

You can read more about that here: http://www.straightdope.com/columns/read/366/are-cats-and-dogs-really-color-blind-how-do-they-know

The reality is that the color of light (and to a certain extent strength) is not going to matter much relative to how much a cat or dog is going to respond to a given laser so long as it is bright enough for a moving dot to be perceived.

Still, the pet is not the only one that will enjoy the luminous dot! :D

-Scott

Last edited:

Latest posts