Small Portable Radio's?

Black Rose

Flashlight Enthusiast
I was just looking over the US Sony style site.

You folks get a much better selection of portable radios than we do here in Canada. I'd like to get an ICF-38, not available up here :(

We only have two portable radios available from Sony up here.

stitch_paradox

Enlightened
As a side bar, I see that this radio has Red Cross endorsement. I personally have a huge amount of experience with the Red Cross under very serious disaster conditions and I can assure you that their actions, advice and endorsements may be hazardous to the health of your family in any type of serious emergency.

Thanks for the Info Sub, it's really helpful. I actually learned something new regarding the cranks radios batteries. I should power up the radio at least once a month.

Also I'm quite surprised about your statement above. Can you explain more about it. Thanks.

Burgess

Flashaholic
Please, Sub_Umbra, consider posting your info in a New Thread.
(not simply a Private Message)

There are LOTS of us who would like to hear it. :wave:

As i've stated previously . . . .

When Sub_Umbra speaks,

we ALL pay attention !

:thanks:
_

stitch_paradox

Enlightened
Exactly... This is the second time I heard something like this about red cross. First time I heard about it I ignored it, but this time I think I better listen.

Sub_Umbra

Flashlight Enthusiast
stitch_paradox, Burgess,

PMs sent.

CPF can probably do without any more of my rants on this subject. I've posted quite a bit on this and I just don't think I should start that thread. If you search for posts with my User Name AND throw in terms like Katrina, water, garbage, insects, preparedness, radio, "nv green", entertainment, food, looters and "New Orleans" -- you'll get a bellyfull. :D The wonderful Moderators here have been very patient with me.

I've thought about organizing some of my posts in one place on my own web space to make them easier to find -- but I haven't. :sigh:

Here's a quick 'n dirty Google search that seems to list most of my posts on preparedness, etc. There's some junk in the results but if you look at the Subjects and the discriptions you'll find much of the relevent posts without much trouble.

Thanks for reading.
/sub

Last edited:

Lit Up

Flashlight Enthusiast
Excellent review for such a low cost multiband radio.

I've always wanted a shortwave equipped radio and prefer analog tuning - seems perfect for what I want.

Might have to order one (yeah, like I need more toys :D )

I dunno. The portable shortwaves are ok. I have a Grundig Mini 300 like stated earlier and a cheap Radio Shack model.

But look at what just arrived back in March at the 300 dollar mark.
http://gizmodo.com/341112/grundig-eton-satellit-750-shortwave-radio-yes-shortwave
AM, FM, shortwave, longwave, SSB and aircraft band frequencies.

I want one. oh. so. much.

Last edited:

Lit Up

Flashlight Enthusiast
I was just looking over the US Sony style site.

You folks get a much better selection of portable radios than we do here in Canada. I'd like to get an ICF-38, not available up here :(

We only have two portable radios available from Sony up here.

Don't sweat it too much, Black Rose.

I have the ICF-36 which is basically the same model but with weather band and TV band added.
My small, portable Grundig hangs with it and in some cases finds AM stations that the Sony misses. The Sony is just your average, run of the mill, night stand/table, portable radio.

StarHalo

Flashaholic
But look at what just arrived back in March at the 300 dollar mark.
http://gizmodo.com/341112/grundig-eton-satellit-750-shortwave-radio-yes-shortwave
AM, FM, shortwave, longwave, SSB and aircraft band frequencies.

If you just want to hear *everything* that's floating in the air, there's always one of these:

Icom.jpg

(http://www.universal-radio.com/catalog/widerxvr/0095.html)

StarHalo

Flashaholic
At $13,000?
Maybe if I win the lottery. Maybe.

If you won the lottery, you could probably get the credentials for the govt version of that receiver, which can listen in on cell phones...

The Grundig Satellit 750 is going to be a big seller in the radio community, where there's a strong following of multi-generational Satellit users (since 1964!). But if you're looking near that price range, for an extra $100 there's the Grundig Satellit 900 (since renamed Eton E1):

e1.jpg

(http://www.universal-radio.com/catalog/portable/0101.html)

The big advantage the E1 has over the 750 is the *synchronous detection* feature, which without getting too technical, can completely block out a stronger signal overrunning a weaker one, making the weak signal sound as though it's out in the open on it's own, nice and clear. This single feature puts any receiver into a totally new level of reception, because it can receive stations that would be completely inaudible on other non-sync radios.

For half the price of the 750 is the receiver I use, the Sony ICF-SW7600GR:

gr.jpg

(http://www.sonystyle.com/webapp/wcs...&catalogId=10551&langId=-1&productId=11037231)

The GR is one of the least expensive sync-equipped radios out there, aside from being the top-rated portable for under $300. I've used it many times in the tightly-packed spaces in the shortwave bands to get stations that would have otherwise been impossible to make out. I mostly use it for AM talk radio; a lot of hype surrounds the CCrane CCRadio+ for this use, but again, the CCrane doesn't have sync - The CCRadio will slightly edge out the GR in receiving a weak station that has no other stations near it on the dial, but when it comes to the net number of stations you can audibly receive, the GR trounces the CC by a large margin.

Lit Up

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you won the lottery, you could probably get the credentials for the govt version of that receiver, which can listen in on cell phones...

The Grundig Satellit 750 is going to be a big seller in the radio community, where there's a strong following of multi-generational Satellit users (since 1964!). But if you're looking near that price range, for an extra $100 there's the Grundig Satellit 900 (since renamed Eton E1):

e1.jpg

(http://www.universal-radio.com/catalog/portable/0101.html)

The big advantage the E1 has over the 750 is the *synchronous detection* feature, which without getting too technical, can completely block out a stronger signal overrunning a weaker one, making the weak signal sound as though it's out in the open on it's own, nice and clear. This single feature puts any receiver into a totally new level of reception, because it can receive stations that would be completely inaudible on other non-sync radios.

For half the price of the 750 is the receiver I use, the Sony ICF-SW7600GR:

gr.jpg

(http://www.sonystyle.com/webapp/wcs...&catalogId=10551&langId=-1&productId=11037231)

The GR is one of the least expensive sync-equipped radios out there, aside from being the top-rated portable for under $300. I've used it many times in the tightly-packed spaces in the shortwave bands to get stations that would have otherwise been impossible to make out. I mostly use it for AM talk radio; a lot of hype surrounds the CCrane CCRadio+ for this use, but again, the CCrane doesn't have sync - The CCRadio will slightly edge out the GR in receiving a weak station that has no other stations near it on the dial, but when it comes to the net number of stations you can audibly receive, the GR trounces the CC by a large margin.

SWEET! :)

Also, can that Sony accept an external antenna or is it even really an issue?

bmstrong

Flashlight Enthusiast
stitch_paradox, Burgess,

PMs sent.

CPF can probably do without any more of my rants on this subject. I've posted quite a bit on this and I just don't think I should start that thread. If you search for posts with my User Name AND throw in terms like Katrina, water, garbage, insects, preparedness, radio, "nv green", entertainment, food, looters and "New Orleans" -- you'll get a bellyfull. :D The wonderful Moderators here have been very patient with me.

I've thought about organizing some of my posts in one place on my own web space to make them easier to find -- but I haven't. :sigh:

Here's a quick 'n dirty Google search that seems to list most of my posts on preparedness, etc. There's quite a bit of junk in the results but if you look at the Subjects and the discriptions you'll find much of the relevent posts without much trouble.

Any chance you still have a copy of that PM? I'm interested as well..

StarHalo

Flashaholic
Also, can that Sony accept an external antenna or is it even really an issue?

Yes it can, which you'll need to use if you really want to hear what's out there on the shortwave bands (the aforementioned pocket reel antenna is a good start). No portable is going to do very well "off the whip", but the Sony makes a good effort as its antenna is nearly a full yard in length, great for strong shortwave or weak FM.

Unforgiven

Flashlight Enthusiast
I had the ICF-SW7600GR and the Kaito 1103 and compared them side by side. The performance was nearly identical with the Sony being just a tad better on the FM and SSB modes. The only thing with the Kaito is the controls took a little getting used to. The Kaito can be found for about $89 or less, while the Sony is about $150 or so. The Kaito is also quite a bit smaller than the Sony.

I have since gotten a Sangean ATS 909 (Super 909) It has noticeably better selectivity than either the Kaito or the Sony but at quite a bit more money. The Super 909 is about $330. The 909's sound is much better than either of the other 2.

The (HAM) HF table top receivers will do a better job at receiving distant stations than any of the portables that I have used, but as stated will require large outdoor antennas to do the job.

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic
I had the ICF-SW7600GR and the Kaito 1103 and compared them side by side. The performance was nearly identical with the Sony being just a tad better on the FM and SSB modes. The only thing with the Kaito is the controls took a little getting used to. The Kaito can be found for about $89 or less, while the Sony is about $150 or so. The Kaito is also quite a bit smaller than the Sony.

I have since gotten a Sangean ATS 909 (Super 909) It has noticeably better selectivity than either the Kaito or the Sony but at quite a bit more money. The Super 909 is about $330. The 909's sound is much better than either of the other 2.

The (HAM) HF table top receivers will do a better job at receiving distant stations than any of the portables that I have used, but as stated will require large outdoor antennas to do the job.

I had Radio Labs do that 909 mod to my Radio Shack 398 (same as Sangean 909). Quite a bit of improvement. The 398 is quite a bit larger than my SW7600, but more convenient to use. My primary middle wave DX model is the Sangean/CCRadio.

Bill

Black Rose

Flashlight Enthusiast
Don't sweat it too much, Black Rose.

I have the ICF-36 which is basically the same model but with weather band and TV band added.
My small, portable Grundig hangs with it and in some cases finds AM stations that the Sony misses. The Sony is just your average, run of the mill, night stand/table, portable radio.
I'd like one simply because it is visually similar to my Sony ICF-380 that has served me faithfully for close to 15 years.

It's a good size for use in the back yard.