Smooth reflector to textured

radiopej

Enlightened
I bought a waterproof torch from Kathmandu (the store) shortly before being sent broke from seeing your pictures here.

It runs on 4 AA, with a high and SOS mode. Not a bad light, but nothing like Fenix level. The beam profile was always ugly and had some artifacts with a smooth reflector aimed at throwing the beam.

I figured a nice texture on the plastic reflector would even it out and soften the beam. So I took a chef's blowtorch and lightly passed it over the reflector a few times. The quick bubbling on the plastic surface provides great texture. I guess it's slightly less bright, but I'm finding it nice, floody and usable now. There's only a slight artifact in the beam from a bit I missed.

I've loaned the light to a Danish lady from my lab who is off exploring a mountain in Perth, but if there's any interest I'll add a few photos on her return. It'll also let me see if there are any longer-term problems.

allburger

Enlightened
Another suggestion for this method is hairspray. A light coating will diffuse the light nicely.

Plus, if you put on too much, run it under way for a few seconds to rinse it away. Tip: let it air dry instead of wiping it, as wiping will scratch the delicate surface.

jabe1

Flashlight Enthusiast
A very light spray of Krylon crystal clear does wonders for a dingy beam profile. It does take a little practice to get it just right, but you can try on a piece of plexiglass.