So, SUPER bright but compact light? Have a request I can't find.

BirdofPrey

Enlightened
Looking for a small light (think small reflector 18650) that has something extremely potent like a P7 or at least as bright as my Eagletac with the P7. I don't need it to run long time periods. One or two minutes max at a time if even that long.

Is there anything out there like that?

TriChrome

Enlightened
I just built a Surefire C2 (or pick whatever 6P type host you want), with a Nailbender SST-50 drop-in.

With a 18650 I should get at least 45 minutes of runtime at around 600 lumens (maybe 450 OTF lumens).

BirdofPrey

Enlightened
Well, the Dereelight isn't exactly what I want. Doesn't seem like it would be any brighter than my Tiablo A8. The two suggestions to build sound good but I'm clueless when it comes to putting a light together myself so I'll just have to keep looking online to see if I come across anything factory made that meets my needs. The 450 to 600 OTF lumens is pretty much what I'm looking for. I want just an absolute "stunning" amount of light comeing out the front. I however do not need it for more than a minute and most likely need it for 30 seconds or less.

The amount of light my M2 Eagletac with P7 puts out would be fantastic if I could get something to achieve that. I don't suppose there is much call for something like that though because being run for any length of time would probably over heat a light so small.

TriChrome

Enlightened
The problem (I believe, still learning and researching all this) is the size of the light. Something around a 6P size is limited to a driver of about 2.8 amps.

You can go direct drive off an IMR 18650, but you'll literally get that stunning amount of light for maybe a minute, possibly two before it dims by quite a bit.

The example I gave above requires no real building, simply drop the Nailbender drop-in into it and it's good to go. I did have to order a C2 off here that was bored to fit the larger 18650 cell though.

Outdoors Fanatic

Flashlight Enthusiast
Looking for a small light (think small reflector 18650) that has something extremely potent like a P7 or at least as bright as my Eagletac with the P7. I don't need it to run long time periods. One or two minutes max at a time if even that long.

Is there anything out there like that?
The Malkoff M60 MC-E, it runs on 2xCR123 or two or three li-ion or IMR battteries.

Oh yeah, it's bright. More than 500 no B.S lumens, measured in an Integrating Sphere.

Gunner12

Flashaholic
I don't know what host to use, but an 18650 IMR direct driving a SST-90 could work. The SF-III also seems like a good choice.

BirdofPrey

Enlightened
how bout the Lumapower D-minis using a single 18650

Not anywhere near bright enough. I've gotten to play with the D-Minis and they just don't impress me. Its nothing more than a slightly smaller Tiablo. It falls in between my Tiablo and my Lumapowers. I want something that is closer in size to my Incendio (slightly larger to accommodate the 18650) but has output similar to my Eagletac M2.

The light posted above is ideal for my desire/need but WAY beyond my price range.

deuces

Newly Enlightened

BirdofPrey

Enlightened
Both of those would work actually if the EDC isn't any bigger than a Tiablo A8/9. However, the first link you posted is EXACTLY what I'm looking for. Unfortunatly, he's already filled his order and won't be making more. Now I'm sad.

I'd LOVE to have one of those.

oronocova

Enlightened
I am also looking for a similar light. 6Pish size with tons of output... I'm pretty set on the EDC-MCE from electrolumens but I am holding off to 1.) Build up a little more money and 2.) See what is coming from 4-Sevens.

If the new 4Sevens light is comparatively priced with more lumens I think it would be pretty tempting. From what I have read I think we are going to have to wait until March on it though..?..

oronocova

Enlightened
The D-Mini VX with SST-50 which bullettproof mentions is available on lumapower.com unless I am missing something. Which is not uncommon.

Zeruel

Flashlight Enthusiast
I believe Sabrewolf's Mini EDC and 123 MC-E might be two of the few that are smallest AND brightest in one package. O wait.... they're not 18650. O well....

Last edited:

kdaq

Newly Enlightened
Hmmmm... I did not realize that. Going to go look into it.
D-Mini VX Ultra == 550 lumens on a single RCR123a. Fantastic light. Available at BatteryJunction as well (ships quicker this way).

grunscga

Newly Enlightened
Another vote for the D-Mini VX Ultra (SST-50). I don't own any IMRs, so I have to use the 18650 body, but if you have or buy some IMR RCRs, it's not that much bigger than a NiteCore Extreme, and pumps out waaaay more light on max. It's definitely not a thrower, though.

This review has some comparison shots with other lights.

On the one hand, it's probably not going to be as bright as some of the custom direct-drive lights you can get on the marketplace, but it is a well-built light that is going to be significantly cheaper than any custom light in the same class.

I also really like that you can pick a level and "lock" it. That means you can lock it on medium and hand it to someone without worrying about them leaving it on under a stack of papers or even just leaving it on and cooking the emitter.

Edit: I don't own the EagleTac P7 light, but based on EagleTac's reputation for overdriven lights, my guess is that the VX Ultra will not be as bright. But it is a LOT smaller... :)