Sofirn S32A v2

3_gun

Enlightened
So here's another victim of my search for a unicorn. Not the winner but a solid light at a very very good price.

Saw a couple of positive reviews, as (spoiler alert) this one is going to be. Seemed like a solid light & then I saw it was available for $23 w/battery shipped. With the reviews in mind & that price I took a chance. Turns out it wasn't much risk at all.

It's a 18650 light, slim but a bit longer than expected. The single button side switch has a battery level included. Green for go & red for low. The UI has a couple nice features including 2 modes, stepped or ramping. I'm a stepped guy almost always. Simple to switch between them if you want, 3 sec hold & a couple of blinks to confirm. UI allows you to start from OFF directly into strobe (3clicks), turbo(2clicks) or memory(1click, bet you saw that coming) but not low. Low (5L) is part of the stepped mode, turbo(1300L) is not. Not ideal but better than the other way around. That gives you 4 steps, well spaced at 5 / 50 /160 / 500 lumens and any of those can be used for memory mode. Moving between them is just a quick click, OFF is a slightly longer press. Lockout if you need it and you might since the switch is slightly raised (& easy to find/use) can be done with 4 quick clicks or 1/4 turn of the tail cap.

Light levels look pretty close to the claimed numbers. Color is a cool white, OK CRI but not ideal. Beam has a clear hot spot with a gradual softening as you move from the center. A nice mix of throw & spill doesn't limit the usefulness in any way. Run time at 160L hit 5hrs before I got bored. I still had clear steps to high, turbo & strobe so you will get useful light level AND run times. Haven't run either high or turbo long enough to see a step down or have a heat issue in my normal use.

Fit & finish are good overall. It's not a show piece but it does come in colors other than black. Helpful if at this price you wanted to get one for everyone in the house. As lights go this wouldn't be a bad tween & older light. I got blue, ordered purple, the only complaint I have really other than the no starting in low unless it's your memory level. Rated IPx8 and it came with extra "o"rings to help you keep it that way. Kit does include a charger, so no ports (my preference) for charging.

Everything works, size is reasonable, UI flexible & easy the learn, light levels & run times are useful and the price including light, battery & charger w/shipping is under $25(or was). If you like to shop ahead for B'days, Xmas, etc buy a few. No one or almost no one (there's always an Uncle Bob in the family) would find a reason not to like this light.

3_gun

Enlightened
Quick update to my sp32av2 light. It's become a go to light for around the house. Spacing of the levels are still good as is turbo being left to a shortcut & not in the loop. Run times have been good. I've had several 5+hr runs at 160 and a few 2+hrs runs at 500. 500 get slightly warm but I noticed no dimming & I've yet have it step down during use. Believe the battery level light, blinking red means find your charger now. At that point you really only have 5 & 50 working for you, I haven't push my luck. Charging is a bit slower than I'd like for a 3.0 usb, it's a bit faster with the wall bump. Sofirn has a shorty tube to allow a 18340 to work if you want a bit more versatility from the light. Not perfect but a great basic light for a great price (when I bought it,no idea what's the going price) I did get a couple for gifts this Christmas

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
I have one of these I got for cheap on Ebay and love the light the strobe is wild but I think the battery is not really a 3Ah 18650. It is more of a yellow-white than a neutral white even with a seemingly weak 18650 (I think) it still is a great light. I use a different charger than the included one though and thought about the 18350 but Sofirns battery is a lower capacity one considerably less than an 18650. I considered getting other lights but I'm pretty broke right now.

3_gun

Enlightened
It's dead. One drop (from the 2nd floor) was enough to do it in. Nothing broke & very very little noticeable damage but no light, no way, no how. Anyone know how to take this thing apart? I'd like to see if I can find the fail point