Solarforce Explosion

Status
Not open for further replies.

more_vampires

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Flashlight Explosion Article

these ... issues, while very rare, are more of a concern with lithium primaries and not as much with secondaries

Pressure failure of a sealed vessel is not an explosion or detonation, but a rupturing. Explosion is really not the correct word. It's a side effect of heavy venting or venting with flame. It could be caused by any line items in the above possible causes list. The velocity of released gas is nowhere near a real explosion caused by a shock wave through certain compounds. Explosion is a panic word.

Usually, lithium primaries run single-cell are no problem and you can run them to empty. Running primaries to empty in a multi-cell light is an identified issue. Not recommended. Never mix and match cells in a multi-cell CR123 light. Don't do it.

Lithium protected cell rechargable risk is mostly in the charging. As a best practice, I don't suggest charging in your bedroom, or even indoors. Never use unprotected cells unless you know the light needs them for high drain. Know what cells you're buying and why.

You can short out even alkalines or NiMH and do some electrical damage. Lithium chemistries, treated with care and respect, are "safe enough."

"More danger" and "less danger" don't really apply, IMHO. Safe practices leads to safe enjoyment of this enthusiast addiction. There is a bar, a level of knowledge. It is up to the user to read, learn, and know. There are a lot of variables. Much as one inspects a firearm as part of the sport, we must inspect our lights... our components, our tools.

Check the World Health Organization's Top 100 causes of death worldwide. It gives useful perspective. Look for "Flashlight explosion." I couldn't find it on the list. Trust me, if this were a widespread and common issue then it'd be a line item on that list. People get electrocuted, yes. It isn't the same. There are millions and millions of lithiums in use world wide every day. Cell phones, laptops, power tools, emergency lighting, you cannot escape them. Now, compare the risks of driving. 1.3 million dead in 2012, according to the WHO.

See what I mean? If you're going to worry, worry about a likely risk.

This dissuades me from using certain battery types because there is enough stuff to worry about in life aside from are my flashlight batteries over/under charged, paired, stored correctly, near where my kids might grab them etc.

Kids might put the cell phone you give them into the microwave. The point is knowledge and knowing the risks. That phone has a lion in it. Respectfully, are you worried about your cordless drill exploding?

Thanks for the fear incantation. It helped me to stop crying and come out of the fetal position in the corner of the room.
Believe it or not, it's helped me in real life before. We're supposed to be like Mentats, not Harkonnen.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mentat

I need another cup of the juice of sapho. :) Brb.

Last edited:

BezelHead

Newly Enlightened

My experience would indicate that Chinese made Lithium Primaries were used after the failure analysis is complete.

WalkIntoTheLight

Flashlight Enthusiast

That phone has a lion in it. Respectfully, are you worried about your cordless drill exploding?

My drill uses NiCads, so no. But, on all my other things that use lithium-ion batteries, they are integrated systems, designed for safety by the manufacturer with complete control over the entire system.

That can't be said for most lithium-ion flashlights. The end user is expected to be the system integrator, and the end user is usually the weakest part in any system.

gurdygurds

Flashlight Enthusiast

More _vampires I'm not worried about a lot of things because I've eliminated them in my life. I'm not worried about crashing a motorcycle cause I choose to not ride one. Also, NOW I'm no longer worried about my flashlight batteries catching fire while on the charger and burning down the house!! Woohoo!! Lucky me! I'm a carefree flashaholic! Also I realize you think I'm scared and worrying about silly things.....but I'm not worried about that either.

Sent from my iPhone using Candlepowerforums

more_vampires

Flashlight Enthusiast

Ease up. I'm not down on anyone. I'm not making fun of you or anyone else. The literature references are to keep the mood light, though this is a very serious subject.

Some come here to learn about the exact hazards we're talking about.

I'm not giving up my motorcycle, handloading, nor my lithium ions. Everyone can make their own choice.

The critical point is to know the difference. Can't make a real decision otherwise.

Also, NOW I'm no longer worried about my flashlight batteries catching fire while on the charger and burning down the house!!

Oh, so someone finally took Mcnair's advice and went with alkalines. :) I can see a place for them, really.

Last edited:

LightWalker

Flashlight Enthusiast

Ease up. I'm not down on anyone. I'm not making fun of you or anyone else. The literature references are to keep the mood light, though this is a very serious subject.

Some come here to learn about the exact hazards we're talking about.

I'm not giving up my motorcycle, handloading, nor my lithium ions. Everyone can make their own choice.

The critical point is to know the difference. Can't make a real decision otherwise.

Oh, so someone finally took Mcnair's advice and went with alkalines. :) I can see a place for them, really.

In the remote control? :D

Norm

Retired Administrator

We did our best to come to terms with possible causes in the closed "Solarforce Explosion" thread. Top of the last page.
http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?396117-Solarforce-Explosion/page8

I just hope that lurkers and newbs learn from this very unfortunate example. Do not panic, engage the brain. Read, think, ask questions, learn.

Thanks to Subalpine for starting the discourse.

Thread closed and merged.

From a little further up the page check post 213.

Let's stop this thread for awhile until OP wants to start it back up. He will let us know.

Bill

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.