• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

SOLD TK61vn V4

Status
Not open for further replies.

TEEJ

Flashaholic
Re: TK61vn V3.5

I just wanted to clarify that while, all things being equal, a smaller emitter will out throw a larger one due to higher surface brightness, things are typically not "All Equal". IE: There are larger emitters that can be used in situations that out throw a smaller emitter, often with a larger hot spot, etc.

It mostly boils down to lux on target being lumens per square meter....so, if an emitter has enough lumens, and is focused upon a small enough area of square meters, it will throw farther than another emitter that puts fewer lumens per square meter on the target.

FOCUSING a smaller emitter is EASIER, as its at least closer to being a "point source", which gives an advantage, and, combined with the lumens it does generate therefore all starting from a smaller point, it does give an higher effective surface brightness....but, there's a reason why you don't see an XPE2 used instead of an XGP2 or XML2 in some lights...if souped up enough, even though is EASIER to get higher surface brightness from a smaller emitter, the smaller emitter may not be able to be driven as hard, and the larger LED may be able to overcome the size disadvantage with brute force lumen output.

So, for any given focus system there will be limiting factors and points of diminishing return...and an "optimum" LED choice, but, you can't say as a blanket statement that one LED will always throw farther because its smaller.

I have XPG2 versions of lights I also have in XPE2 for example, and, the larger LED out throws the smaller LED, and both examples are driven as hard as they can...but the larger one simply has enough additional lumen output to compensate for the larger area.

So, sure, an MTG2 that out throws an XPE2 or even XPG2 is not out of the question...if the light is large enough to focus it....but, for a lot of large lights, an XML2 simply can be pumped hard enough to make up for its larger emitter surface....and get more range than any of them.

For a smaller light, the reflector size, etc, can make the XPG2 the better choice, and so forth...the focus system will help dictate the LED choice.

:D

Last edited:

Issue

Enlightened

:) its so hard to wait lol. when i had the v2 for a day it was like tease of epicness lol. but perfection takes time so its all good vinh

I hear you! I have only had XSvn as thrower so i hope this will be a fun add to the collection. Im will work as a train enginer soon so this light will come in great use when i have to light up thing around a 600m long train. =) looking forward to try it out!

Alex1234

Flashlight Enthusiast

wish vinh could put an xml2 u3 in my tk61v3.5 now that would be pretty awesome.
It would be a Fiat lux tk61vn V3.5 U3 <--------can it really get any better then that....NOPE ;)

Ltruelove1

Newly Enlightened

wish vinh could put an xml2 u3 in my tk61v3.5 now that would be pretty awesome.
It would be a Fiat lux tk61vn V3.5 U3 <--------can it really get any better then that....NOPE ;)

i know that my tk61vn v3.5 is coming with a xm-l2 u3. A fiat lux would just be the icing on the cake!. I cycle through my obsessions(knives, guns, lights, edc, backpacking, hammock camping, disaster preparedness, etc.), I feel a vinh light buying spree coming on:)

Alex1234

Flashlight Enthusiast

i know that my tk61vn v3.5 is coming with a xm-l2 u3. A fiat lux would just be the icing on the cake!. I cycle through my obsessions(knives, guns, lights, edc, backpacking, hammock camping, disaster preparedness, etc.), I feel a vinh light buying spree coming on:)

it already has the u2 ptd so in it. not sure if vinh would consider replacing it with a U3. would it be worth it at these high drive levels?

IL1

Newly Enlightened

Well, its not a marginal diff - U3 has the lowest leakage current & heat generation so it can be safely over-driven to either higher current/voltage levels or, provides a bigger safety margin, or both, and we are going all out custom so why not pick the best. U2 is more common but contains defects in its semiconductor structure that cause it to be less efficient. If it was me, i would pick the best possible emitter to start with.... $0.02

Alex1234

Flashlight Enthusiast

Well, its not a marginal diff - U3 has the lowest leakage current & heat generation so it can be safely over-driven to either higher current/voltage levels or, provides a bigger safety margin, or both, and we are going all out custom so why not pick the best. U2 is more common but contains defects in its semiconductor structure that cause it to be less efficient. If it was me, i would pick the best possible emitter to start with.... $0.02

hmmm interesting now i want u3 again

tyxxvxl

Flashlight Enthusiast

Damn, now I'm second guessing my choice for PDTN U2 for my M25C2vn.
I dunno I love the tint of the pdtn and I know I will get the best possible U2.
So I think I'm good with my choice.
Ty

IL1

Newly Enlightened

Agreed, the output diff is marginal.

However the U3 is superior in its semiconductor structure - it has less micro "defects"
which are the ones that reduce light generation efficiency for the same current i.e.
more of the current leaks & gets converted into heat.

when current supercharging such a light emitting device, pushing it way outside its
designed operational parameters, I know which one I would rather have...

Its like which Intel CPU can be overclocked (safely) to a high GHz value
without blowing up :) Exactly the same principal - the more efficient CPU
can run at higher Voltage & Clock speed, and more so when pushed to its limits...

If Vinh where to build a light for me, I would have no issue paying the cost difference
to get the U3...
and even among the U3, I would run a sub-bin selection to identify the best mutants :)

Last edited:

Alex1234

Flashlight Enthusiast

very very interesting.

Agreed, the output diff is marginal.

However the U3 is superior in its semiconductor structure - it has less micro "defects"
which are the ones that reduce light generation efficiency for the same current i.e.
more of the current leaks & gets converted into heat.

when current supercharging such a light emitting device, pushing it way outside its
designed operational parameters, I know which one I would rather have...

Its like which Intel CPU can be overclocked (safely) to a high GHz value
without blowing up :) Exactly the same principal - the more efficient CPU
can run at higher Voltage & Clock speed, and more so when pushed to its limits...

If Vinh where to build a light more me, I would have no issue paying the cost difference
to get the U3...
and even among the U3, I would run a sub-bin selection to identify the best mutants :)

Issue

Enlightened

Is there any gif from vinh comparing TK61vn v2-3 with XSvn or TK75vn KT? Its for a friend who got the XSvn and hes interested in this monster aswell. :)

Edit, can be from anyone ofc, not just vinh..

Status
Not open for further replies.