Solitaire+Rebel Mod

gunga

Flashaholic
datiled, do you know where you can get a cheap source for SMD components? I broke an SMD inductor on a driver and can't find any replacements locally...

:shakehead

datiLED

Flashlight Enthusiast
datiled, do you know where you can get a cheap source for SMD components? I broke an SMD inductor on a driver and can't find any replacements locally...

:shakehead

Cheap? No. Not by the time you figure shipping charges. :sigh:

I typically order parts from Mouser. But, I wait until I have several projects lined up, and order a bunch of parts at once. Mouser allows you to "build" a project list, and you can add to it whenever you need to. When the list is complete, you simply order the project and pay for it.

RE: the inductor. Do you know the value? I can look to see if I have one from a salvaged board. Otherwise, I am ordering 10 or 12 in about a week. I could always add one in for you if you know the specs.

In the mean time, I would try to salvage the inductor by removing a turn of wire and stripping the enamel from the end so it can be resoldered.

If you have any further comments, please feel free to PM me.

TorchBoy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Would it be least expensive to just order a boost board from DX or KD and pull the inductor off it?

Last edited:

gunga

Flashaholic
Yeah. Good idea. My inductor may be too small to fix. I'll look at it later when I have more time, but yeah, that could work.

Don't know the value and I'm not sure how to read the colour code yet so will have to look it up!

Bimmerboy

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have build these without a circuit board (dead bug style), and they end up the size of a small pea. However, you could make a circuit board similar to the one in the link above, and fit it into any small AAA light with ease (10mm +/-).

This is amazing to me. A PEA?! And a "small" one at that. Hand-built. :faint:

How would one go about making a boost circuit this small in a dead bug style? I've got plenty of Kester solder paste. We're ready to go over here... lol.

Another question, as pertains to modding a Solitaire similar to ROK has, is how does it turn on and off? Is there some kind of negative contact on the bottom of the Rebel's mounting board that touches the body when the head is screwed down?

ROK and DatiLED - More details, please. :poke: :D

Gryloc

Enlightened
ROK,

Nice job creating that pill. Everything looks so nice, from the custom wood Solitaire to the small converter pill. I do agree that the McR-10R mated beautifully with the Rebel. I am glad that someone else saw the use for the Rebel's small size. The Solitaire is a perfect host!

I did the same thing about a month ago (A Rebel 0100 mated with the McR-10R reflector), but in the more lazy fashion. I am direct driving the Rebel 0100 off of KD's 10440 Li-ion cell, with a custom mini clicky tail-switch in the rear.

From a fresh cell, the emitter sees a bit over 1000mA and things are bright indeed (and the beam is nice). The brightness holds for a useful amount of time, and the body just gets a tad on the warm side (it is good to hold on to it tight to dissipate the heat through our body's great fluid cooling system). Too bad that I get in the order of tens of minutes of runtime. Totally worth it, though. I just have to be careful not to let the light stay on long enough to damage the unprotected Li-ion cell.

I hope to make or get a similarly sized light that was meant for real duty that has long runtime. This one is just to see if it can be done -and on a college student's budget. It is real fun to show off since everyone thinks that size really matters in flashlights. The only thing lacking is its endurance...

What did you use as a heatsink? I found an aluminum rod from McMaster that fit with a little bit of sanding to the Solitaire. It is a bit grueling to work on such a small scale, but it is also really fun.

Again, nice job. You will have to post more pictures (especially of the finished light). I will have to create a thread when I have more time about my real basic Solitaire Rebel mod. I wish I had knowledge of designing driver circuitry. Thank you for sharing!

-Tony

ROK

Enlightened
The circuit is not a secret. :shrug:
You can see the circuit in MAXIM site and it's same to Lambda's Minipro.

I used MAX1797, 2 x 47uF capacitors and 22uH inductor. I soldered a MAX1797 and one capacitor to front side of PCB and 1 capacitor to opposit side. Then adhered and soldered the inductor to bottom of PCB.

Heatsink? See the Rebel.
If you tighten the head, it will make the electical and thermal path.

:thanks:

Last edited:

datiLED

Flashlight Enthusiast
Bimmerboy, Here is a good example of "dead bug" circuit assembly. I used a smaller (unshielded) inductor than the one shown. The MAX1797 IC is smaller than the LTC3490, but can also be built this way if you are careful.

ROK, that is a very nice Soli mod. I like your work. :thumbsup:

Monkeyboab

Newly Enlightened
Love your Mod Rok.:rock:
Totally new to modding but really keen to get into it but looking at your pill is a bit complicated for me, wouldnt know what I was doin and how do you solder something that small?:thinking: Gonna try some bigger lights first, easy mods fingers crossed. I need an idiots guide for this I think.

Could you mod a solitaire with this?

https://www.kaidomain.com/WEBUI/ProductDetail.aspx?TranID=3254

Thanks Robb

Monkeyboab

Newly Enlightened
No way.
It is too big to insert in Solitaire. As far as I know, there is no commercial converter board for Solitaire.

Thought it might be, was worth a try. One day hopefully i'll get into things enough to do it, think i'll stick to easier projects for the moment.
Thanks for your reply Rok.

Robb