Some knurled ti anyone?

Mirage_Man

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just finished up these parts for a forum member. They wanted "knurled" bodies. While this is not a very aggressive knurl it feels great in the hand and looks pretty darn sweet if you ask me. I did not traverse knurl the parts. Each band was done separately then grooved in between. It's a real time consuming process to get the diamonds to land right but when you get it the results speak for themselves.

Pictured are a head based on the McR19XR reflector, 1x123a body, 2x123a body and a standard tail cap. All are based on the Aleph system.

DSC_7053_sm_sm.jpg

DSC_7049_sm_sm.jpg

DSC_7057_sm_sm.jpg

DSC_7058_sm_sm.jpg

DasRoot

Newly Enlightened
Those are awesome :thumbsup: Any chance on a 14500 body? If not, the 1x123 is just perfect.

don.gwapo

Enlightened
Tailcap should have knurled too to match the body & head. Either way its a nice looking ti light. :naughty:.

Mirage_Man

Flashlight Enthusiast
Tailcap should have knurled too to match the body & head. Either way its a nice looking ti light. :naughty:.

Yes, you're right except that tail cap is for another light the owner already has that has no knurling or pattern at all :thumbsup:.

bmstrong

Flashlight Enthusiast
I was pointed to this thread by another CPF member. I've been looking for someone to do a full knurl 6/4 Titanium light for the last 3-4 years. I really just gave up that I would ever see it.

Can you make a solid knurl without any spaces between it?

Mirage_Man

Flashlight Enthusiast
I was pointed to this thread by another CPF member. I've been looking for someone to do a full knurl 6/4 Titanium light for the last 3-4 years. I really just gave up that I would ever see it.

Can you make a solid knurl without any spaces between it?

The short answer to your question is no, I can't. This is as close as I can get.

Mirage_Man said:
I did not traverse knurl the parts. Each band was done separately then grooved in between.
It's nearly impossible to traverse knurl ti and have it look decent. It might be possible with fresh wheels on a cut knurling tool but high pressure coolant would likely be a necessity to blow the chips out.

Last edited:

ninemm

Flashlight Enthusiast
Perfect knurling imo. Looks beautiful. :thumbsup: Could you possibly shoot me a PM with the rough cost estimate to build something like that?