Something interesting I read in the paper.

StorminMatt

Flashlight Enthusiast
We've had some pretty stormy weather lately out here in California. And predictably, power outages have been fairly common. But naturally, something I read in the paper REALLY got my attention:

"Winds knocked down numerous trees and power lines around Truckee, causing localized power outages. At the Safeway grocery store in town, some customers continued shopping by flashlight. Those customers without flashlights were walking from aisle to aisle, following those who had them."

I guess that, even in places especially prone to adverse weather conditions (like Truckee), it is not considered 'normal' to EDC a light. But maybe some of these folks will have second thoughts after this.

Read more here: http://www.sacbee.com/news/local/environment/article9479435.html#storylink=cpy

Since I started edcing lights I've often wondered how I made it through life before. I still wonder how anyone doesn't edc even a mag solitaire at the least.

Nothing is worse than being in good health and utterly helpless because it's too dark to see.

NotSoBrightBob

Newly Enlightened
I admit I have been very fortunate to not have experienced extreme weather events but I still EDC a light that gets used 2-3 times a week. Not a big workout but still worth it to me. I like being prepared in case my good fortune changes. I suspect most of the people in Truckee had lights at home or will soon rush out to the major box stores and buy the 3 pack with Alkalines included and never experience an efficiently bright and artifact free beam of light.

MidnightDistortions

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm curious, was Safeway still able to operate the registers connected to a backup generator? I couldn't imagine continuing to shop if power was out.

Anyway for the most part i don't use my EDC light, but since i do EDC a light i have found it has come in handy at some points like looking through a freezer at work or unable to see certain areas with poor lighting. Anytime i travel, i EDC two lights.. i got my basic incan AA Maglite (which is soon to get an LED upgrade!!!) and my LEDLenser T7, which i recently got. I also carry some extra lights in case someone else needs one and i don't want to hand out my better lights but that's only for travelling. I might look in dollar stores to see if i could find some cheap lights running on 1 AAA or AA so i could hand them out to folks who need them in emergencies.. but really i think some people who don't carry lights should learn even a keylight is good enough to see where you are going and they can't learn if they can see in the dark from someone elses light. In a dangerous situation, having a light on hand is necessary.

Poppy

Flashaholic
I'm curious, was Safeway still able to operate the registers connected to a backup generator? I couldn't imagine continuing to shop if power was out.

<SNIP>

I'm thinking that if they had generators, they would have had lights, and there would have been no need for flashlights.

Perhaps people were paying CASH. I remember, back in the day when I carried more cash and no plastic. I hope that everyone has a few bills stashed away in their wallets, call it "get home money just in case" :) This brings to mind the fact that the store registers may not be opened, and they may not be able to give cash change. It may be wiser to carry five $20 bills instead of a single $100. Just a thought.

StarHalo

Flashaholic
Well in Cali, half the store will be people carrying iPhones, so plenty of shoppers would have light. The question is how many of those people expect to use Apple Pay to complete the transaction..

StorminMatt

Flashlight Enthusiast

This thought crossed my mind as well. You would think that they would try to get everone out of the store and close. But maybe they added everything up by hand. Maybe in places like Truckee, which frequently experiences heavy snowfalls (at least during a normal winter), being able to run a store in these sorts of situations is essential.

As far as cash vs credit, remember that portable credit card machines are available which use the cellular network (whether we are talking about smartphone attachments like The Square or actual portable credit card swipers that print receipts).

Last edited:

MidnightDistortions

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't know what my store would do if the power went out and the backup generator doesn't kick in. I just know on normal outages the registers would still be functional, enough lights to still see and the freezer/fridges would be operational, with sometimes having to move stuff to the back freezers which gets priority power.

Pete4638

Newly Enlightened
I live in western North Carolina. We get our share of power outages from ice storms, thunder storms, etc. We have only one gas station/convenience store in the area that has a backup generator. When the power goes down, the other stores close their doors for multiple reasons. Even with some limited emergency lighting, you can't see inside the stores to shop without risking falling over other people, isle displays, etc. The store management does not want you to open the doors in the frozen foods section because the more the doors are open, the more likely the chance that the foods will defrost. Without power the cash registers do not work, neither do card readers. Even if you have cash, very few stores today actually post prices on the items that you are buying. They rely on a scanner to read the UPC to tell the cash register what the item costs. Finally, a dark store is a shoplifters dream.

When the power is down, about the only thing that most merchants can do is lock the doors and wait for the utility company to do their job.

I rarely carry a flashlight with me during daylight hours. I always have a couple of flashlights with extra batteries in my SUV and I'm usually within walking distance of it. I do carry an iPhone which as a light built in to it. Granted, it is not much of a light, but it will let you see in the dark. I am in an out of a lot of areas where I can't carry a handgun or even a pocket knife. Some areas restrict me from even carrying a cell phone or anything metallic - like a flashlight. Even in places where a flashlight would be tolerated, it will set off the metal detectors if I forget to remove it from my pocket.

During evening hours I can pretty much get away carrying what ever I want. I generally have a handgun, pocket knife and a small LED flashlight, car keys, cell phone and wallet. What I like about a lot of the LED flashlights today is that you get a lot of light our of a very compact, lightweight package.

I'm thinking that if they had generators, they would have had lights, and there would have been no need for flashlights.

Perhaps people were paying CASH. I remember, back in the day when I carried more cash and no plastic. I hope that everyone has a few bills stashed away in their wallets, call it "get home money just in case" :) This brings to mind the fact that the store registers may not be opened, and they may not be able to give cash change. It may be wiser to carry five $20 bills instead of a single $100. Just a thought.

mrme

Enlightened
Back in '97 I was working in a small grinding shop that had no windows. One day the power went out. It was every bit as dark as a cave, and I was surrounded by heavy, sharp and pointed things on all sides. Fortunately 1 of the 2 other people in the building was sitting at a desk eating his lunch, the desk that had the flashlight in the upper right-hand drawer.

We had to go home since there was no power to do any work. On my way home I picked up one of those keychain-sized Mag lights that uses 1 AAA batteries. I think it was called a solitaire or something like that. I've EDC'ed a flashlight since.

It seems odd to me that so few of us do.

wjv

Enlightened
Even if you made it to the register, most products don't have price tags on them anymore. It all barcodes.

bladesmith3

Enlightened
very hard to believe that a grocery could do anything without power. the liability alone would make them close. it sounds like URBAN MYTH to me.

zipplet

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have a story too, related to this.

I used to work in a medium sized supermarket in the UK around 2007. We had no backup generators. Even the back office computer had no backup power - no UPS. The cash registers were small windows machines, and any EFT payments were done via the computer in the back office. The store was big enough that people could easily hide in the store in the event of a blackout.

The residential areas in the village often lost electrical power in winter but usually the store would be OK as it was on a different part of the grid along with the doctors surgery and some other businesses. We weren't that lucky that day.

I worked evening shifts, and once the power did go out during my shift. Store policy was to get all customers to leave and secure the store, locking yourselves inside until you can contact the alarm company to verify that the alarm is indeed still working and can be armed. We were then supposed to cover the chillers to keep the heat out and wait out the outage with the emergency lights (or go home if it got too close to closing time, meaning the store would not be reopened that day).

The building was badly maintained. While it looked clean and modern on the shop floor (ground floor) it was actually a very old building, and the upstairs floor (staff only, where we keep the big walk in fridge/freezers and stock) looked like it hadn't been refurbished since the 1950s. It was a very dangerous floor - sharp metal shelving sticking out, discarded refrigeration units, all sorts of things. And that's just the part of the upstairs we usually visit. There is also a back section to the upstairs floor that NO ONE likes to visit - rumour is it is haunted (I don't believe that but it has very dark walls and a high roof so it looks scary at night). The back section of that floor housed the control gear for the 30 year old walk in fridge/freezer - big control panels with neon lamps, and a no longer used (for over 30 years) butchery room with a dumb waiter. I wish I had taken photos of this stuff.

I was serving on the cash register. The lights flickered, and about a minute later - poof, everything went dark. The emergency lights did not come on so no one could see anything. My supervisor remembered that I always carried around a light - a Fenix P1D CE at the time - and shouted out for it. We herded the customers out of the store and locked the main door. I needed to go upstairs to get a second light (only 1 light for 3 people? not enough!) and everyone followed me as they were too scared to be left alone in the dark store.

As soon as we started to go upstairs, there were some very weird noises from up there - clanging sounds. My other colleagues screamed, so I bumped my light up to max output and scanned the area. It calmed them down, but the inky black walls swallowed the lumens like a cave. We ran to the staff break room and I retrieved another light from my bag upstairs and lent one to the supervisor. By the way, the upstairs floor had no emergency lights fitted at all. The noises? It was coming from the ancient walk in freezer. It doesn't like power being cut to it suddenly.

We checked the office and could not find a single flashlight for use by the employees. If it were not for my lights, we could have been in a dangerous situation with customers hiding in the store and stealing stuff (sadly, the area was dangerous). Sure we had some 2xAA incan lights in stock to sell and we could have opened up a couple in an emergency but you would need to find them in the pitch black store - plus they would have not been that helpful especially on the upstairs floor.

Power came back on, but it was too close to closing time so instead we decided to just make sure everything was OK for the night. My supervisor asked me to check upstairs. The lights were working now which was a relief, but the freezer didn't come back on. We were supposed to call our maintenance department but my supervisor had enough and wanted to go home, so asked me to go and check the control panels incase it was something simple.

I had to go to the section of the upstairs floor no one wants to go near. I approached the hall way to that section, and.... the light switch didn't work. Out comes the P1D. I notice that this section of the floor has old fashioned incan fittings rather than tube fluorescents (weird), and that the incan bulb directly above me is smashed and the rest are missing! That did send a bit of a chill up my spine, but armed with my P1D I went to the control room. This room did have a working light but it was a really dim incan. I examined the control panel and toggled the start switch for the freezer. Thankfully it did start up.

A few weeks later someone came and replaced all of the emergency lights.

After this incident, I was known as the guy with the lights, and I was always tasked with checking the upstairs portion of the store at lockup time. Part of the reason for that is the light switch for the upstairs area is in the most stupid place ever - it's in the middle of the upstairs floor. So you have to look blindly for it if you don't have a light.... a health and safety disaster to be honest.

Last edited:

Berneck1

Enlightened
I ALWAYS carry cash. Not only that, I keep cash in various places on my person, so if some gets lost or stolen, I will likely not lose it all. I have a $50 on my keychain in a capsule, $70 (50 and 20) in my iPhone case, and $90 (50 and two 20's) tucked in my wallet. I keep my "regular" cash in my pocket, separate from my wallet.

I have occasionally been in stores where the credit card system was down, and was surprised at how many people turned around and left because they didn't have cash. One was an ice cream store! To think, you don't even have $10 on you?!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Candlepowerforums

Berneck1

Enlightened
very hard to believe that a grocery could do anything without power. the liability alone would make them close. it sounds like URBAN MYTH to me.

Nah, some stores will try and do things with cash, etc. At least trying to get the current customers taken care of. I would doubt they would continue to let new customers in, unless it becomes a prolonged outage. Also, liability aside, many foods go bad in a power outage, so they may want as many people to come in an buy those foods...

Sent from my iPhone using Candlepowerforums

LeafSamurai

Enlightened
Great story zipplet. This thread and the comments in it just reinforces my belief that one EDC is never enough if you really need a flashlight. I usually carry one flooder and one thrower and in case of an emergency, you might need one or both of them.

Sent from my iPad using Candlepowerforums