Spike Light - V3

ahorton

Enlightened
I'm not sure.

I made some crude test circuits that didn't seem to need any, but that doesn't really prove anything.

The switch is made by COTO TECHNOLOGY and its part number is: RI-80SMD0515-J1

Lurveleven

Flashlight Enthusiast
OK, thanks for the info. If there is not any hardware debouncing, then I think I will need to implement it in software even though the reed switch is very fast. I think I will risk erratic behavior otherwise.

Justcameron

Newly Enlightened
Spikelight - Review

A short review of the Spikelight.

The first thing that got me is - this thing is BIG! Ok so maybe I knew this was coming since I had previously been using a compact headtorch in the Petzl Tikka XP, but it still surprised me when I unwrapped the package.

The cells are big
imag0667resized.jpg

(AAA, AA, 18650 cell)

The battery pack is big
imag0672resized.jpg

Yep, the whole thing is big
imag0668resized.jpg

Spikelight V3 on left, Petzl Tikka XP on right.

In other news - it's fiercely bright. A great upgrade for me. I took it out into the bush over Easter and shone it around a bit - super fun! Its first test will be a caving trip to the Nullarbor next week. Unfortunately I won't be going to the SA Rogaining state champs but this thing is, as expected, perfect for rogaining. The flood is BROAD and the spot is TIGHT!

Another unexpected thing is that the spot beam is kind of an odd square shape - not the usual round. This is only really apparent when looking at things up close (and burning your eyes at the same time.) I couldn't get my smartphone to photograph this very well though.

Finally, the entire unit has a robust, home made feel about it. The battery pack is decidedly agricultural, with a rough finish but solid feel. The elastic straps are super wide. The switch on mine is a little sticky sometimes, and wobbles around a little but with a bit of a fiddle seems to come good eventually.

Ash was very helpful and even gave me a couple of extra batteries after accidentally sending me a light with the wrong UI.

ahorton

Enlightened
Re: Spikelight - Review

Glad you like it.

Yes it is still a big light. I've worked hard to get it as small as I can.

The lighthead is big, but it puts out a bit more light than the Tikka

The battery pack is big, but it's worth comparing it to a 20xAAA cell battery case with similar waterproofing.

The elastic strap is big, but it's not heavy and quite comfortable.

Lips

Flashlight Enthusiast
You will have to have Competition UI + Extras setup to be able to lock out. From off, double click to enter extra mode, double click again from the extra mode to go into lock mode.
The user interface is described here: http://spikelights.wordpress.com/2012/03/01/user-interfaces/#more-96

Well dang, only looked at that 20 times and didn't see it!

I like how the led flashes (lower brightness level) in lockout mode every 10 seconds. Nice to have that as a low drain (1 year) locator if needed...

Lips

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ash

What size allen (or Hex) is the set screw for the button. I've gotten dust down in there and it is a pita to make it work now, needs a little cleaning. (keeping it oriented as it was installed!) Very tiny and smaller tool needed than anything I have around the house...Been using the V3 in dusty environment so she needs a bath!

Any updates you been thinking about doing to your headlights you can share?